The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Problem Cleaners

Does anyone else think the cleaners are a waste of time?

We've had nothing but trouble with ours all year. The first couple we had did nothing and sat in our kitchen, drinking hot chocolate, chatting and reading magazines for hours on end. They liked our kitchen as it wasn't easy to spot them [so they could hide from the supervisor]. However, after the supervisor got a bit stricter, they would clean whilst having their hot chocolate / chats so that was not that much of a deal.

The new cleaner we have, however, is the worst one yet. Every day she comes in at about 8am and bangs and clatters her way around. She started cleaning our kitchen after the Easter break and in all that time [and with complete honesty I can say] she has mopped the kitchen floor once, given us a grand total of 3 toilet rolls, and takes the bin out 9 times out of 10. She doesn't and hasn't ever done anything else of the list of cleaners duties and instead annoys us all. She moves any pots off the draining board or side of the sink and puts them on the kitchen table. That wouldn't be a problem if she were doing it for a reason, such as to wipe down the sides or fill the mop bucket or whatever - but she doesn't. Now we are struggling to find things as they keep being moved and today we woke up to a snotty note saying we must do our washing up asap and keep the sides clear. I think the most annoying thing is that our kitchen is quite clean in comparison to lots I've seen and there isn't that much on the sides to begin with. Yet now we have a snotty note which completely overlooks the fact the cleaner is being paid yet does nothing - for example, today she has taken the bin but hasn't replaced it, so we have no kitchen bin. Urgh!

Sorry for ranting. I wish we didn't have the cleaners at all to be honest as they make the situation worse. Have we been really unlucky or are the cleaners a bit of a pain everywhere?
Reply 1
Lol, they are all as bad - or at least all of ours have been. All they are supposed to do in Cartmel is hoover the corridor and clean the kitchen, but they will not do either unless everywhere is immaculately clean and tidy before they start!
At the end of last term they left a note saying that anything left on the work tops would be thrown out - food, crockery, drink, tea towels, the lot! It would have been interesting to leave stuff out and see if they did throw it away, as they seem to have an aversion to taking the rubbish and re-cycling out every other day.
I suppose, to be fair they do get awful pay, and it's not the most glamorous job in the world.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
At least yours come more often than mine- once a week! This week they didn't even bother...
Reply 3
Ugh. Yesterday ours were having a chat right outside my room watching the builders out of the window. For about 20 minutes.

All they ever do is empty the bin + give the side a quick wipe down. And do the white bit on the hob (when we decided to do the rest one time we ended up with some lovely black cloths. :-/) Oh and they leave us notes telling us to tidy up. And if there's one of us in the kitchen they MIGHT do the inside of the microwave. I can't remember them having ever hoovered or mopped the floor or anything
Reply 4
I guess we are not getting that bad a deal then lol.

At the end of the day, they've taken (and are paid for) the job so they should do it. And, if that is too much, then we shouldn't bother having cleaners. The townhouses seem to manage alright - I have friends in there and they just have a rota. That way, they could knock a couple of quid off the rent to cover the reduced costs (from not having to pay cleaners).

:biggrin:
Reply 5
xprincessx
Ugh. Yesterday ours were having a chat right outside my room watching the builders out of the window. For about 20 minutes.

All they ever do is empty the bin + give the side a quick wipe down. And do the white bit on the hob (when we decided to do the rest one time we ended up with some lovely black cloths. :-/) Oh and they leave us notes telling us to tidy up. And if there's one of us in the kitchen they MIGHT do the inside of the microwave. I can't remember them having ever hoovered or mopped the floor or anything

leave a note saying 'it works both ways, hover and mop like your BEEN PAID to do, and we will tidy up. Otherwise we will just be dicks and tell your supervisor your failing to do your job right'
Reply 6
edited - thanks acalia.
Ours is generally quite good- We had her last year too... She cleans the grill pans every other day, usually, which is nice, and always leaves lots of toilet roll. She has taken to using bleach in the bathroom, whcih I don't like it because it makes me sneeze. Oh, and sings out of tune, and has a tendency to want to talk to you when you are on the loo.... but apart from that, she's quite nice. Just don't get talking, or you will get her whole life story!
Reply 8
From what I remember of last year, they weren't that great. They were friendly and good to chat to, and did a decent job of hoovering the hallway and taking out the rubbish, but apart from replenishing the toilet roll supply, the bathroom was rarely ever cleaned. Mould, hairs, plasters and colourful stains everywhere! Everytime I had a shower I had to stand with my legs really far apart to avoid contact with 'THE ICKY THINGS.'

To be honest, I don't think the people in my flat made it easy for them though. Often people just left bobbles (with big clumps of hair attached), used razors, empty plastic bottles and one time, period blood on the floor! :frown:

Some people, after a heavy night of drinking would also vomit on the corridor floor, and then expect the cleaners to deal with the mess in the morning.

I have heard worse horror stories from different unis, including the one about a girl defecating in her room and kitchen, only to request that the cleaners deal with it.

Being a cleaner is definitely not a glamorous job. Over the years my sister has had 5 different cleaning jobs and I've helped her out a couple of times. Including a care home, where I had to deal with blankets caked in poo. Ugh, to much talk about feces...

Extremes aside, I agree, some of the cleaners definitely need to do a better job. Especially with reports of them watching Jeremy Kyle and reading magazines when they should be working... If all else fails, get a housemate with OCD, it works wonders for me. :yes:
Reply 9
El Nombre
From what I remember of last year, they weren't that great. They were friendly and good to chat to, and did a decent job of hoovering the hallway and taking out the rubbish, but apart from replenishing the toilet roll supply, the bathroom was rarely ever cleaned. Mould, hairs, plasters and colourful stains everywhere! Everytime I had a shower I had to stand with my legs really far apart to avoid contact with 'THE ICKY THINGS.'

To be honest, I don't think the people in my flat made it easy for them though. Often people just left bobbles (with big clumps of hair attached), used razors, empty plastic bottles and one time, period blood on the floor! :frown:

Some people, after a heavy night of drinking would also vomit on the corridor floor, and then expect the cleaners to deal with the mess in the morning.

I have heard worse horror stories from different unis, including the one about a girl defecating in her room and kitchen, only to request that the cleaners deal with it.

Being a cleaner is definitely not a glamorous job. Over the years my sister has had 5 different cleaning jobs and I've helped her out a couple of times. Including a care home, where I had to deal with blankets caked in poo. Ugh, to much talk about feces...

Extremes aside, I agree, some of the cleaners definitely need to do a better job. Especially with reports of them watching Jeremy Kyle and reading magazines when they should be working... If all else fails, get a housemate with OCD, it works wonders for me. :yes:

eww i hope not, im hopefully coming in september and im TERRIFIED of people vomiting!
The cleaners are one of the worst things about uni this year. You can never have a lie in on a weekday because they're so loud from 8.45 onwards. Leaning on your door while they have a conversation! They used to spend all day sitting in our Cleaners Cupboard so the supervisor didn't see them, until we got so fed up we reported them. Their 'cleaning' involves emptying the bin. That's it. Makes me quite angry when I think I'm paying for them. I'd pay not to have cleaners.
Reply 11
Ohmyyy! Ours are actually hoovering the corridor! :O
Reply 12
I just went into the kitchen to sort some dinner and our cleaner was asleep sat in the corner... I want a job where I can be paid to sleep lol - that would be amazing. :smile:
Reply 13
The only useful thing ours do is clean the hob when some daft **** has burnt rice to it. They move all of our stuff around to "clean the drainers" yet our drainers are still pretty grimey. They also make an almighty racket in the morning when they're hoovering, and they spend a good 2 or 3 hours on a monday afternoon having a good natter in their cupboard. They're better than nothing I suppose, because none of my flatmates ever bother to clean up after themselves.
Reply 14
Where are you lot at? I'm in County South and our cleaners are pretty sound. They take out the rubbish everyday (although get a bit pissy about the recycling when it builds up), do the floor and sides. Never really had any problems with them, they're only in here about 15 minutes or so as well, **** knows how they sleep and that in your kitchens.
I agree Dooze, looks like other colleges have got a raw deal when it comes to cleaners - I'm in County too (in Main) and the cleaners never come in first thing in the morning - usually they come in around midday and stay for at most half an hour. Ours also does a really good job considering how messy our kitchen gets sometimes - you can really tell the difference at weekends (when the cleaners are not around) cos everything gets scarily messy.
Reply 16
Had fun this morning - we had a man come in to steam clean the kitchen and besides the fact it took over 3 hours, during which time he didn't want us in there for health and safety reasons, he aimed it at the plug socket and managed to blow the electrics for our flat. It has been off all afternoon but thankfully I man has just come and fixed it. :smile:
Our cleaner's quite nice. Wipes down the sides, fairly certain she's mopped the kitchen floor a few times, hoovers occasionally, wipes marks off the walls. Comes in a few times around midday, although this does include sometimes coming in for tea
Reply 18
Ooo we've got new cleaners this week! We got an email saying we'd have our bins emptied every day but we'd have a "reduced cleaning service" + only get it actually cleaned on tuesday + thursday...
But they do a much better job so it's cleaner than it was having it done every day! They actually mopped up today! + the surfaces are clean! It's amazing! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending