Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do all universities cap resits at 40 percent no matter the mark?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Mine does just like to know whether this is universal or different between unis
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    if oxford do- i'm screwed, nobody mentioned it to me though.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Generally speaking I think it is but, as always, there'll be variations.

I know that at Durham they are unless the student has a concession (usually given for medical reasons) that will allow them to sit as a "first sit" (ie. uncapped with possibility of resitting)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What does the question mean? Only 40% of students can resit an exam?
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unless you have a medical reason substantiated by proof from a doctors note, all resits are capped at 40% at Hull
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the question.
    If you get an E first time around, and then resit and get 90% do they take off 40% so you only get 50%?
    Also, does this only apply to people who are reapplying after their A levels?
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pickford)
    What does the question mean? Only 40% of students can resit an exam?
    In the first sitting the theoretical maximum score is 100%, if you retake they cap your maximum mark at 40% no matter how good your answer is.
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emitothelee)
    If you get an E first time around, and then resit and get 90% do they take off 40% so you only get 60%?
    Say you fail the exam by getting 38% (at most uni's the pass mark in an exam will be 40%), when you retake the exam no matter how well you do i.e. you get 80% of it correct your score will be recorded as 40% i.e. basic pass.

This is for discussion of uni exams not A levels
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think our resits are capped but I'm not sure. If you don't have a reason for a resit then you need to pay though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emitothelee)
    If you get an E first time around, and then resit and get 90% do they take off 40% so you only get 50%?
    Exactly.

If you failed and resit, the maximum mark you can be awarded is 40%. It was like this when I was at Manchester Uni... seems like standard practise for me. The only time when this doesn't happen is if you have a valid reason for not doing well (illness, for example).

If this wasn't the case, why wouldn't people only study for half their exams and fail the other half on purpose to get more study time for them when they resit?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    *FACEPALM*@ME.
    i will now proceed to dissapear into a cloud of embarrassment.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    same here
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Same at Kent.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    This is for discussion of uni exams not A levels
    I am SO RELIEVED by this.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    40% of what? I resat literally every paper of my AS Chemistry as well as A2 Organic Chemistry and Cambridge didn't seem to particularly mind...:dontknow:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    40% of what? I resat literally every paper of my AS Chemistry as well as A2 Organic Chemistry and Cambridge didn't seem to particularly mind...:dontknow:
    university modules, not a-levels
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    :facepalm: Try reading through a few posts or maybe even looking at the forum this was posted on before replying.

Does this apply to all years? Even the first year? It doesn't matter because 40% is a pass anyway and the first year isn't recorded but they haven't told us anything about this.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yup, it's the same in Cardiff. Places like the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama do it too, but rather annoyingly they let one kid resit his recital because his saxophone was broken (he had plenty of time to fix it) even though he still managed to pass it.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ar5enal Fan)
    :facepalm: Try reading through a few posts or maybe even looking at the forum this was posted on before replying.
    I did. I still found the explanation a bit unclear.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    university modules, not a-levels
    Ok. See what it meant now.

Nobody is allowed to do any resits at all at Cambridge, hence why I hadn't heard of it.
Updated: June 3, 2009
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.