The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
18LeagueTitles
I mentioned the Phillip's Curve in the last Question but didn't draw it out, would i lose marks? I also didn't draw the AD and AS curves :|

For Costs of Inflation i reffered to unemployment and the disposable income increasing/decreasing. Loss of marks once again?

For the first question on paper one, did anybody put Capital and Labour for the Factors of Production for Air travel?

For paper 1, I put labour and land. I wasn't too sure because I read through the passage like 3 times and couldn't see where it stated a factor of production -_-.
Reply 61
Shorty1992
I thought it was 3 to be honest... but I'm probably wrong. :p:

The comparison of unemployment data one was worth 3, the comparison of the BoP's was worth 4 :smile:
leungwk01
For paper 1, I put labour and land. I wasn't too sure because I read through the passage like 3 times and couldn't see where it stated a factor of production -_-.

My logic was you need Capital to buy the Aircraft, the Buildings etc, and you need the Labour to pilot aircraft and man the terminals.

What did you put for the determinants of demand for air travel? I blanked completely and put Cost and Trends :|
Reply 63
18LeagueTitles
I mentioned the Phillip's Curve in the last Question but didn't draw it out, would i lose marks? I also didn't draw the AD and AS curves :|

For Costs of Inflation i reffered to unemployment and the disposable income increasing/decreasing. Loss of marks once again?

For the first question on paper one, did anybody put Capital and Labour for the Factors of Production for Air travel?

Think about it like this; you wont lose marks, you just won't gain any. Especially for the Phillip's curve as that isn't even on the specification :s-smilie:

I think they would expect you to draw an AD/AS diagram though.. seen as though there was no questions specifically asking for one.
The Phillip's Curve shows the inverse relationship of Unemployment and Inflation, so I thought i would include it as we had to show the effect of AD upon both of those factors.

Our invigilator told us all of our work had to be in a single booklet and we were not allowed extra paper so i had to cram all of my writing into two pages, didn't leave me room for a diagram sadly ):
Reply 65
18LeagueTitles

What did you put for the determinants of demand for air travel? I blanked completely and put Cost and Trends :|

Price, and I put advertising but then changed it, dont remember what to though!
Reply 66
18LeagueTitles
My logic was you need Capital to buy the Aircraft, the Buildings etc, and you need the Labour to pilot aircraft and man the terminals.

1. labour eg pilots enterprise eg owner of airport

2. income levels. price of substitutes.

what about comment on ped question?
Which question? I said it was elastic as the answer came out to 1.4 or something.
Reply 68
18LeagueTitles
The Phillip's Curve shows the inverse relationship of Unemployment and Inflation, so I thought i would include it as we had to show the effect of AD upon both of those factors.

Our invigilator told us all of our work had to be in a single booklet and we were not allowed extra paper so i had to cram all of my writing into two pages, didn't leave me room for a diagram sadly ):

That's so not fair. The 2 pages isn't enough - especially for a diagram! I went onto 2 extra pages..
Reply 69
I was told by my teacher if you don't draw a diagram for the last question the maximum mark you can obtain is 12 marks.

And for the determinants for air travel I didn't know what to put -.-, I put determinants of PED instead of just demand! so put time! :angry:

Edit: for the PED question I put it was elastic. 40/28=(-)1.4
Reply 70
Oh I remember now for the determinants of demand I did price and quality!! I screwed up PED did price over demand and got 0.7, but hopefully still get marks for explanation seeing as its still normal, elastic, one increases other decreases etc!!
Reply 71
Adam92
That's so not fair. The 2 pages isn't enough - especially for a diagram! I went onto 2 extra pages..

sorry to bother you but page 3 of this thread. Full marks for my answer you think?
Reply 72
Josh12
For the supply side one.
rise in government spending on education and training raises labour productivity and skills so higher quality of labour. This increases the price and quality competitiveness of domestic goods. So demand for exports and hence export revenue is likely to increase.

comments:
takes a long to have effect - takes time for people to come through education process and enter labour force.
more exports generates income and some of this may be spent on imports. If increases in exports are matched by increases in imports, the effect on the current account will be neutral
can be exspensive, government may have to reduce spending on eg healthcare
Full marks? Got first question wrong but apart from that I cant see where ive gone wrong

7/7 without a doubt :smile:

That's more or less what I put, minus the expensive part.
paper went quite well una.. smiles all rround... apart from not knowing how many 0 are in a billion loool. so i missed 1 marks since i put the formula!!!!!
Reply 74
It seems theres a lot of very clever people who have done very well on this exam :biggrin: do you think this may be reflected in higher grade boundaries?
but uno the last question the wording was abit funny. although i tlked about expansionary fiscal.. run by budget deficit and expansionary monetary policy.. how it can onli solve cyclical unemployment not structual and frictional etc etc. how these expansionary polices have trade off cause it casues inflation etc etc. blabbed on.. although didnt write as much as i would of liked. wrote 3 and a bit sides..
Reply 76
Adam92
Are teachers aloud to see the paper? In January none of mine saw them until well after the exam :confused:

But basically:
- Increases in AD increase output as long as there is spare capacity
- More people will need to be employed to make the new output
- At the elastic bit of the AS curve, there will be little or no inflation
- As the economy nears full capacity the inflationary danger increases.

That was such a nice question for the 18 marker! :woo:
moncherie
It seems theres a lot of very clever people who have done very well on this exam :biggrin: do you think this may be reflected in higher grade boundaries?

yh boundaries r most likely to be high. you needed 47 OUT OF 60 to have got an A in january
Reply 78
michelle_mishmash
but uno the last question the wording was abit funny. although i tlked about expansionary fiscal.. run by budget deficit and expansionary monetary policy.. how it can onli solve cyclical unemployment not structual and frictional etc etc. how these expansionary polices have trade off cause it casues inflation etc etc. blabbed on.. although didnt write as much as i would of liked. wrote 3 and a bit sides..

The thing is, it wasn't talking about government policy.

47/60 for an A is quite reasonable. It's, what, 78 per cent or so?
Reply 79
michelle_mishmash
yh boundaries r most likely to be high. you needed 47 OUT OF 60 to have got an A in january

Is that suppose to be high? 47/60 is like 78%

On the last question on paper one, It was worded abit weird for me not sure for others.

It said something like "Dicuss if taxation is the most effective solution for market failure arising from negative externalities"

I only wrote about taxation but wasn't sure if it is asking for tradable permits/subsidy/or solutions. Since it ask if its the most effective solution. :s-smilie:

Latest