The Student Room Group

Most popular courses at CAMBRIDGE?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
wizz_kid
The reason why the success rate is slightly higher is coz only the cream of the exceptional students apply to trinity and the other exceptional students apply to other colleges. Hence even though the success rate is slightly higher, it can be argued that it is much harder to get into trinity to read mathematics than any other college.

seriously? u seriously think this? no.... people apply to trinity because they like it, same as any other college. do u go to trinity college? if not, i dont see how u are able to comment.
Reply 21
dougiemacs
seriously? u seriously think this? no.... people apply to trinity because they like it, same as any other college. do u go to trinity college? if not, i dont see how u are able to comment.

Well neither do u.
However from our skool only 1 boy got into trinity after in like 5 years when every year about 20 people get into oxbridge. This just shows how big of an achievement it is to get into trinity.
I always think of English as being really popular
Johnny Luk
average score 566??? omg, thats quite a lot of As out there, thats incredible.
3 As, thats what, 360 points? plus a A in AS, 420? Thats insane, that makes 3A and 1 AS A look terrible.

Doesn't general studies count? That's probably make it 4 A's, and an A at AS (or A2 for quite a few people).

Then there are AEAs- I think it's 40 points for a distinction? Then 75 for Grade 8 at some musical instrument- it adds up very quickly.

And *then* there's all these people who have 5 or 6 A's as well as some AEAs/Grade 8s who are going to skew the average!
wizz_kid
Well neither do u.
However from our skool only 1 boy got into trinity after in like 5 years when every year about 20 people get into oxbridge. This just shows how big of an achievement it is to get into trinity.

By the same logic: In the last 10 years my school's got 6-7 students into Oxford for maths. I'm the first student to get a Cambridge maths offer for at least that long, so clearly Cambridge must be much harder than Oxford to get in for and therefore I'm much better than those other students!

No, actually - it just turned out that all those students preferred Oxford to Cambridge as a city, and very few at all even tried applying for Cambridge maths. By the same reasoning, you argument had no real validity whatsoever.
Reply 25
eulerwaswrong
probably medicine.

but is maths up there? cambridge maths is probably the most respected course out of any in the uk (just my opinion). So anybody who thinks they are any good would apply there - or do they get scared by step?

its the hardest course in the world

would love to be on it, the challenge would be amazing

plus all the hot clever girls!!!!
Direct from the university: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/camdata/undergraduate.html

From that, Natural Sciences Tripos has both the largest number of applicants, and the largest number of admissions.
Archaeological and Anthropological Tripos has the "best" acceptance:admissions ratio.
bavink
its the hardest course in the world

This is just getting silly.
wizz_kid
Well neither do u.

Or fewer people applied to Trinity? Trinity is less competative in terms of numbers than Clare or Emma or a few other colleges. I nearly applied to Trinity but prefered Clare, not saying I would have necessarily gained a place if I had applied to Trinity, but it's not like I didn't apply there because I thought the competition would be harder or anything. I just thought Clare was overall the college I would be best suited to. I think people usually choose to apply to the college they like the most be that Trinity or anywhere else.

phil.
supertantan
Which courses are most popular for Cambridge applicants?

I think it will probably be economics and medicine, what do you reckon?

Well Cambridge Economics has a success rate of about 14%, but that is nothing compared with Oxford Economics and Management which has a 7% success rate (boardering bloody Harvard/Ivy-league levels here).

Medicine I think there about the same, but haven't check the stats to be specific.
Reply 30
Very good. Can we have some more people sharing their uninformed and stupid opinion please? I mean it's not like the question has been answered twice already (and backed up with evidence and links to the relevant data on the university website).
Reply 31
wizz_kid
Well neither do u.

i dont go to trinity, i have a friend who is. About 12 from my school got into cambridge, to around 8 different colleges, of which one was trinity. I dont see why people view it as the college which takes the best- whilst its among the top of the tompkins table its rarely best.
Reply 32
Icy_Mikki
Then there are AEAs- I think it's 40 points for a distinction? Then 75 for Grade 8 at some musical instrument- it adds up very quickly.

Quite. There are going to be many people every year scoring around 800 UCAS points or more five As at A2, three distinctions at AEA and a grade 8 distinction add up to 795 UCAS points.

Given that most successful Cambridge candidates will have at least 400 UCAS points (AAAc), it's easy to see how the average can be brought up above 500.
Reply 33
BJack
Quite. There are going to be many people every year scoring around 800 UCAS points or more five As at A2, three distinctions at AEA and a grade 8 distinction add up to 795 UCAS points.

Given that most successful Cambridge candidates will have at least 400 UCAS points (AAAc), it's easy to see how the average can be brought up above 500.

who goes to the effort of 3 AEA's? Its not as though anywhere requires 3 AEA's.... this means doing at least two in a subject different to the one your doing at uni AND getting distinctions. faaaar too much work lol.
Dijobla
Yes, from what I've heard Architecture is definitely the most oversubscribed/popular/competitive course in objective terms. Very small intake (like 2 a college or something absurd like that), and it's not offered by Oxford.

It's too hard to tell which is the most popular subjectively though, because it's well, subjective.

Wow. This makes me really proud of a friend of mine who's studying Architecture at Cambridge. He is pretty amazing, though, so it was to be expected. :biggrin:
dougiemacs
who goes to the effort of 3 AEA's? Its not as though anywhere requires 3 AEA's.... this means doing at least two in a subject different to the one your doing at uni AND getting distinctions. faaaar too much work lol.

I did two and there was virtually no extra work required.
Reply 36
BJack
Quite. There are going to be many people every year scoring around 800 UCAS points or more — five As at A2, three distinctions at AEA and a grade 8 distinction add up to 795 UCAS points.

If you count core skills too(which I've discovered I have some of up to higher or int 2 or so), it's pretty easy to get really high scores without any AEA's.
Me and a friend both have like 800 odd points, as above, and we didn't have the option of AEA's(as we were in Scotland, though we did get some points for SG's.)
Y__
Very good. Can we have some more people sharing their uninformed and stupid opinion please?

Who is this directed at.

The figures used were not for this year and further, I provided a comparison, something I hope could benefit the OP in some way; partic. as he/she asked about economics.

The fact that you call other people's opinion stupid for frankly no good reason, shows your utter ignorance in my, again, opinion.

As for it being uninformed, I believe all information I stated can be found on the website for both the respective universities concerned and through emailing the relevent departmental admin for both universities.

In your words, 'Very good. Can we please have some more idiots making utterly stupid posts that contribute nothing to the subject of the thread' :rolleyes:
Reply 38
dougiemacs
who goes to the effort of 3 AEA's?

Have to make up for the lack of difficulty in A levels somehow. >.>
Yes, it's probably easier to get a sixth A than all three distinctions.
Reply 39
BJack
Have to make up for the lack of difficulty in A levels somehow. >.>
Yes, it's probably easier to get a sixth A than all three distinctions.

yeh.. im one of these people who makes up for the lack of A level difficulty by spending more time on TSR/going out/generally not working. My attitude may have to change slightly at uni.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending