The Student Room Group

Dropping out.

Hi,

First time here - looking for some advice or even just general support/critiscm/tips.

I am at a College/6th Form in Manchester, UK and I am very, very unhappy. Although I did manage to get some AS Levels, they aren't that great and I failed Maths. I taught myself Web site design and have been practicing this for a few years now. I have a few paying clients and am looking into job offers. Nothing is fixed for the future with no actual definate options available.

I live at home and work 12 hours P.W at Sainsburys to generate a steady income.

My reason for posting is with the approach to A Level exams I am finding the work demanding and my back log is huge with missing work/coursework due in. I dread college and have found myself skipping it to save the embarrassement of looking like a failure. My teachers are giving me hell and one keeps on phoning home.

My parents are academic, both teachers/lecturers and firmly believe in education. However, they do recognise my talent as a Web designer and artist.

Today I have a job interview for a 4 week contract full-time to design accessible Web sites. Now my main concern is missing college.

I feel like I have given up on college and I don't want to return. I feel that education doesn't suit me and this is the story of my life - never having a nice suprise on results day - never getting decent grades.

I have 2 As and 1 B and 9 Cs at GCSE
1 D and 1 C and 1 U at ASLEVEL

Is it such a bag thing and will I be sentanced to a life of hell, financial debt and failure if I dont return to college?

I dont want to be a bum working in Sainsburys forever, I want to do something with my life. I want to earn myself a respectable living within the Web design industry.

I am most unhappy there and cant see myself getting decent grades in end.

Honest opinions please.

Best Wishes,
Dave
If i were you, i would suggest finishing college and doing your best just to get some qualifications under your belt, but don't worry if this really isn't going to happen cause you really sound like you enjoy this web thing but it is competative. Mabye you could do a years course at computing or something like that to get qualifications which would help you later on. Good luck whatever you do though! I admire people who can use computers...this is about the maximum of my abilities.
College isn't just one path to take :smile:.

You sound like you'd enjoy this four week thing. And who knows, something may be in the pipeline.

I agree with ringlets - take a course in computing. Obviously you're already heading down that sort of route, and it's a skill largely required in the world of work.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :smile:.
Reply 3
You could re-sit some of the AS modules if you are not happy with your overall AS grade. After re-stting it, you might have a better AS grade.

If you feel like droppting out, you could do a vocational qualification or an apprenticeship.
You've come this far, so there's no point giving up now with exams just around the corner. You might as well do your A-levels and at least you'll have some qualifications, even if the grades aren't fantastic. It aso shows you're willing to stick at things and don't just give up when it gets tough. Academia isn't for everyone, and if working with computers is what you really want to do, you could always do a vocational course and then try to get a job. Good luck!
Reply 5
Thank you.

All have you have come up with superb answers for me to think about. All I can say is thank you :-)

I had my interview 1pm-3pm and it went brilliantly. I found everybody really nice and the work wa even more enjoyable. I now know this is what I definatley what I want to go into.

I will be mulling my predicament over this week if I get the job and I will try to figure out what to do.

I know this is what I want, I am just scared I will complete this 3/4 week contract and then end up with nothing available to me with no qualificiations.

Once again, thanks very much for your kind and considerate replies.

Best Wishes,
Dave
Reply 6
I do Computing and from what I know about Web Programming (HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript) none of that relates to Computing, except programming fundamentals such as iteration loops (for loop) and selection (if construct) so I don't think Computing is much related to web design, however, if you think you could redo your first year (which I think would be a good idea, but in order to get A's I'd recommend quitting your job) do technical and art subjects such as Computing (despite how I said it doesn't relate to Web Design/Programming much it's still more relatable than any other subject), Maths, Art and some sort of utility subject (Business Studies, Psychology, English).

Obviously this is just what I think and I could be wrong but at least it gives you the option to go onto University if you wanted to (education becomes more desirable the better you do) study Web Computing, Computer Science, Advertising, Internet Computing or some other degree that would be useful to you.

Latest

Trending

Trending