The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Iwoa.Ufdelni
I'm sorry but the whole of your argument is very anecdotally wrong and subjective in that sense.

First of all, employers see no difference between course (other than analytical) - if you think they do, then your sourly mistaken.

Secondly, given that I have worked at the likes of GS (structuring FO), JPM (exotic rates FO) and Citi (FICC FO), I have actually seen computer scientists from various universities. Oxford is by far the best represented university - 4 of the 6 graduates in structuring for example were from Oxford at GS this year.

Further, having an excellent business school more than makes up for a 'London' advantage - which is frankly a myth. You have no advantage in being in London, as companies are MORE THAN willing to come to Oxford to recruit. If it was say between Imperial and Manchester university, then perhaps the London advantage would apply as firms would be more reluctant to visit Manchester. Said Business School is frankly the best in the country (I think there is no arguing that - and if there is, I would like you to put up a credible argument). Secondly in the market of hedge funds, Oxford graduates, and in this case computer scientists, have the opportunity to work on leading quant research with the worlds largest hedge fund whilst at Oxford itself (i.e. during their studies), as both Oxford and this particular hedge fund have a quant research/programming centre - I believe no other university has this.

Oxford in terms of IB (which is a field I know A LOT about through my experiences), beats Imperial hands down. For other areas, be that software programming at Cisco or what have you, I don't know those fields well enough to comment. But IB, I do know.

Oh stop talking crap, you're boring me.

I know for a FACT that Goldman Sachs offered its IT internships to Imperial BEFORE all the other universities. Once Imperial had sent all its student applications, GS came back and asked were there any more (~30 applied). Imperial told GS "No" and then GS opened up the IT internships to the other universities and altered the number of placed accordingly.
Reply 21
Iwoa.Ufdelni
I'm sorry but the whole of your argument is very anecdotally wrong and subjective in that sense.

First of all, employers see no difference between course (other than analytical) - if you think they do, then your sourly mistaken.

Secondly, given that I have worked at the likes of GS (structuring FO), JPM (exotic rates FO) and Citi (FICC FO), I have actually seen computer scientists from various universities. Oxford is by far the best represented university - 4 of the 6 graduates in structuring for example were from Oxford at GS this year.

Further, having an excellent business school more than makes up for a 'London' advantage - which is frankly a myth. You have no advantage in being in London, as companies are MORE THAN willing to come to Oxford to recruit. If it was say between Imperial and Manchester university, then perhaps the London advantage would apply as firms would be more reluctant to visit Manchester. Said Business School is frankly the best in the country (I think there is no arguing that - and if there is, I would like you to put up a credible argument). Secondly in the market of hedge funds, Oxford graduates, and in this case computer scientists, have the opportunity to work on leading quant research with the worlds largest hedge fund whilst at Oxford itself (i.e. during their studies), as both Oxford and this particular hedge fund have a quant research/programming centre - I believe no other university has this.

Oxford in terms of IB (which is a field I know A LOT about through my experiences), beats Imperial hands down. For other areas, be that software programming at Cisco or what have you, I don't know those fields well enough to comment. But IB, I do know.

Sadly you won't be able to reply to this since you've been permbanned, but for posterity, that's a whole crock of BS.

Firstly, employers do care about your course: sure, generic grad schemes don't, but if you're going for a tech role, the course and the reputation of the grads coming from those courses matter a whole lot. So if a course is overly theoretical, it'll show when grads aren't as impressive in the real world and this effect ripples through the industry. Secondly, as billyd pointed out, Imperial does very well on the IB front (more so in BO/MO than FO I grant you) and while I'd usually be the first to admit that the 'London advantage' is generally overrated, the one thing I'd say it definitely has going for it is funnily enough employment where it's actually pretty useful to have access to smaller consultancies and hedge funds based in London looking for very few interns, or for quick one-time jobs (I've seen postings ranging from an award-winning artist wanting help with the technical part of his work for an exhibition to an alumnus looking for an intern for his start-up in California). And Said, while very good, the best in the country? Err.. London Business School - heard of it?
Graduate Prospects:

100%
99%
98%
97%
Imperial Computing (A*AA, A*A*A for Computing + Maths)
Imperial Civil Engineering (A*AA)

96%
95%
94%
Cambridge Engineering (A*AA)

93%
Cambridge Computer Science (A*AA)
LSE Geography (AAB)

92%
91%
90%
LSE Economics (AAA)