The Student Room Group
Reply 1
They are very pretty. Never seen anything as specular as that in person though. If you go to the North - Norway/Sweden/Canada etc then you can get a good view.
how likely are you to see it? I always thought they were rare to find
bigmo7
Does anyone else just get mesmerised by this natural phenomenon? I think it's in my top 10 to do list before I die!

Northern Lights are awesome. Did you see Joanna Lumley on TV crowing about them? She was lying down looking up at this amazing sweep and swoop of sheets of light.. so reminding me of Philip Pulman's fantasy book, Northern Lights.

I might just get to see them, because I'm taking a week's cruise to Norway this August. :smile:
Who knows, we may end up seeing them in Europe in our lifetime if the poles shift.
I'd love to see them. One day...

I might have to arrange a trip to watch some Scandinavian Black Metal sometime!
nish81
Here i thought this thread was about the book -_-

ditto

but OP, yes i would love to see them too! :smile:
Reply 7
bob'syouruncle
how likely are you to see it? I always thought they were rare to find
Yeah they only last for a few seconds.

They look beautiful. I would love to see them when I go to Canada one day.
Reply 8
farhan
Yeah they only last for a few seconds.

They look beautiful. I would love to see them when I go to Canada one day.

Really? I've heard from people who went to iceland that they were there most nights, and lasted for a while every time.

It just changes depending on the weather system I think.
Reply 9
Yes! I really want to see them in December when I go to Lapland. :love: This thread is also making me want to read the Northern Lights trilogy again.
Reply 10
Absinth
Yes! I really want to see them in December when I go to Lapland. :love: This thread is also making me want to read the Northern Lights trilogy again.

I've only read the first book but i think after my exams i might be going back to read the rest!
Reply 11
It seems they were visible over my village one winter a few years ago. Can't say I noticed.
Definitely a must-see before i die. :yes:
Reply 13
I love northern lights. You get to see them here quite often in the winter although they are more visible if you're away from the city lights - so I usually go for a walk in the nearby forest and just stare at the sky.
They just look so unreal and magical.
Reply 14
momaha
I love northern lights. You get to see them here quite often in the winter although they are more visible if you're away from the city lights - so I usually go for a walk in the nearby forest and just stare at the sky.
They just look so unreal and magical.

Wow! I think your one of the lucky ones! I just want that feeling when you see somethin incredible...and it just takes your breath away...
Reply 15
bigmo7
Wow! I think your one of the lucky ones! I just want that feeling when you see somethin incredible...and it just takes your breath away...

Yeah.. One of the few good things in living 200km from the arctic circle :biggrin:
Reply 16
bigmo7
Does anyone else just get mesmerised by this natural phenomenon? I think it's in my top 10 to do list before I die!

Here's a picture for those who haven't heard of it...

Were you watching the discover channel by any chance today? :o:
That picture used to be my desktop background :smile:
I'd love to go and see the Northern Lights!
It's one of my dreams to see the Aurora Borealis, back in 2003 though up here in Scotland there was some sightings! Sadly i missed out and wasn't aware of these wonderful displays.

Latest

Trending

Trending