The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
xXMessedUpXx
well, bills (gas,electric,water) and internet included

so nearly all inclusive

What kind of location?
Reply 21
I am claiming income-assessed Jobseeker's Allowance at the moment, and I am full-time university student. They know that I am looking for temporary work until the middle of September.
evantej
I am claiming income-assessed Jobseeker's Allowance at the moment, and I am full-time university student. They know that I am looking for temporary work until the middle of September.

It sounds like your job centre isn't aware of how to correctly apply the rules. As has been said above, your loan is supposed to cover holiday periods as well in most circumstances. However, I can't imagine that they'd try to reclaim any amounts overpaid to you given that you've been open about your circumstances (and you could probably argue hardship if they tried to reclaim); just be aware that they might stop paying if/when they find this to be a mistake.
Reply 23
Ignore my other post. Although I'd claimed (but not been paid), I got a letter this morning. They refused my right to claim citing that I'm a full time student and said I won't be getting any money of for the time I've claimed. Just annoys me that I'd been open with them, got the okay then get left to think that on Wednesday I'd be £250 better off yet get told that I'm not getting owt. Tell me that from the start when I ask, rather than a month later when I've already had meetings and signed on.
Reply 24
Dooze
Ignore my other post. Although I'd claimed (but not been paid), I got a letter this morning. They refused my right to claim citing that I'm a full time student and said I won't be getting any money of for the time I've claimed. Just annoys me that I'd been open with them, got the okay then get left to think that on Wednesday I'd be £250 better off yet get told that I'm not getting owt. Tell me that from the start when I ask, rather than a month later when I've already had meetings and signed on.

I am waiting on this happening too. Can I ask how long it took you to receive the letter, specifically?
Reply 25
Just under a month. I put my initial application in on the 1st and had the phonecall interview on the 3rd. I had the sign the declarations meeting on the 7th, signed on for the first time on the 14th and got the letter today.
Reply 26
Dooze
Just under a month. I put my initial application in on the 1st and had the phonecall interview on the 3rd. I had the sign the declarations meeting on the 7th, signed on for the first time on the 14th and got the letter today.

Interesting. I applied on the 4th; had my phone interview on the 8th, and signed the declaration the following day. I suppose if I am not paid around the 29th - my second sign-in date - then it would bode well.
Dooze

The conditions for receiving JSA are pretty clear. If you are a full-time student then you are not eligible. End of.
Reply 28
evantej
Interesting. I applied on the 4th; had my phone interview on the 8th, and signed the declaration the following day. I suppose if I am not paid around the 29th - my second sign-in date - then it would bode well.

Pretty similar then, really? I guess you ain't been paid for your first signing on date, yet? You'll probably end up getting a letter on Monday or Tuesday like myself, but if not hopefully you'll manage to get yourself some cash. I'm gunna have to ring on Monday to see what they say and just go in for my appointment on Tuesday, take my letters and see what they say. If I can get anything else in the meantime while I try and find some work, it'd be cool.

jinglepupskye
The conditions for receiving JSA are pretty clear. If you are a full-time student then you are not eligible. End of.

No doubt I know that's true now, I'd heard conflicting things though and I'm just a bit annoyed that their staff didn't seem to know the rules properly after telling several different workers there my position and them all ensuring me that I can still claim.
Reply 29
Dooze
Pretty similar then, really? I guess you ain't been paid for your first signing on date, yet? You'll probably end up getting a letter on Monday or Tuesday like myself, but if not hopefully you'll manage to get yourself some cash. I'm gunna have to ring on Monday to see what they say and just go in for my appointment on Tuesday, take my letters and see what they say. If I can get anything else in the meantime while I try and find some work, it'd be cool.

No doubt I know that's true now, I'd heard conflicting things though and I'm just a bit annoyed that their staff didn't seem to know the rules properly after telling several different workers there my position and them all ensuring me that I can still claim.

Again, I completely agree. I will let you know how I get on as well. They should at least refund your travel; at the very least.
Reply 30
Even though its wrong in theory couldnt you just tell the jobcentre that you've left university and them tell a month later say in September that you've decided to go back and have a free £200 or so in your pocket?
batesy19
Even though its wrong in theory couldnt you just tell the jobcentre that you've left university and them tell a month later say in September that you've decided to go back and have a free £200 or so in your pocket?

No.

Because your grant for years 1 and 2 include an amount of money to cover your expenses for the summer. So you will never, ever qualify for JSA during the summer while you are a student.

There's no ifs, buts, maybes or perhaps. You simply do not qualify for it under any circumstances.
Valkyrja
I'm really confused...I keep getting conflicting advice...

so...er....yes....can you?

I've given up trying to find a job I've called every bar in my town, as well as every restaurant and temp agency - nada!

ive finished college and going to uni in september im getting it and they now im going uni in spetember so you could
Reply 33
miz_perfecto
ive finished college and going to uni in september im getting it and they now im going uni in spetember so you could

No I can't I'm AT Uni and when you start getting your loans they cover you for the whole year. You can get it because you don't have a student loan yet. You won't be able to next year.
Valkyrja
No I can't I'm AT Uni and when you start getting your loans they cover you for the whole year. You can get it because you don't have a student loan yet. You won't be able to next year.

omdaizzz didnt know that stupid system!!!
Reply 35
miz_perfecto
omdaizzz didnt know that stupid system!!!

lulz innit
What about if you have defered a place at uni? do you still count as a full time student? I wana know that more than about JSA
LoginAccount Information
What about if you have defered a place at uni? do you still count as a full time student? I wana know that more than about JSA

You can go on job seekers, my friend did :smile:
And people who have just finished college/school but are already 19 or above, or will be by the end of August can get it too because your parents won't be getting child benefit anymore and and if you are going to uni then you won't have enrolled yet, meaning that you aren't going for sure, meaning that they can't turn you away :biggrin:
Reply 38
Dont you get an accommodation loan aswell as maintenance
Original post by muzza798
Dont you get an accommodation loan aswell as maintenance

You get a tuition fee loan (for your tuition fees :wink: ) and a maintenance loan (for your living costs - this INCLUDES your accommodation costs, you don't get another one as well but you might qualify for further grants depending on your family income, or grants from the University you're going to).

Latest

Trending

Trending