The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Haruhi
I am despirate to drop a subject next year and it has to be either maths or physics.
I am applying to do Genetics at Uni so I need Chemistry and Biology and a mathematical subject.

Maths bores me to death and physics is sometimes too weird to understand.

What do you think guys? I don't wanna be regretting anything next year D:

Drop physics.
You really need to study maths to handle the physics.
Reply 2
M_E_X
Drop physics.

Bang on unless the maths bores you so much you'll become unmotivated and fail
Yep keep maths.
Definitely keep maths
Reply 5
M_E_X
Drop physics.

Well... The maths in Physics is not THAT complicated... you just slot the numbers into the equation and HOLLA... answer! :biggrin:
Besides, for me, reading physics is well worth my time because its so darn interesting. Solving maths all day is like dying a slow death in the depths of a dark alley way =__=;
Reply 6
Definately keep maths. Maths is really important if you're doing something sciency at uni and unis like people who do maths (and it's easier than physics in my opinion) physics is irrelevant!
Moronic Acid
Definitely keep maths

This.

A-level Maths is the best thing that can happen to a person.

Congrats on your offer btw...:yep:

Good luck...:smile:
Reply 8
sarubobo28
definitely keep maths. Maths is really important if you're doing something sciency at uni and unis like people who do maths (and it's easier than physics in my opinion) physics is irrelevant!

o.o; yea but....but but but I think I can do better in physics than in maths >__< In physics its not all mathematical formulas, there's also theory as well. And besides in physics once something clicks in its really easy to understand.

I was gonna drop maths, but seeing this made me rethink T^T
Reply 9
Keep Maths. If you don't "get" physics then don't carry on. Maths is a good A level to have but be prepared for it to get HARD. Being bored sounds as though you master it quite easily? Good luck.
***Hannah***
This.

A-level Maths is the best thing that can happen to a person.

Congrats on your offer btw...:yep:

Good luck...:smile:

Thanks! :smile:
Haruhi
physics is sometimes too weird to understand

For this reason, and that next year will be boring anyway, I'd say to drop physics.
It might be boring, but you won't regret keeping up maths (I think) because you're much more likely to get a good grade in it, and hence get into your chosen uni!

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 12
Haruhi
Well... The maths in Physics is not THAT complicated... you just slot the numbers into the equation and HOLLA... answer! :biggrin:
Besides, for me, reading physics is well worth my time because its so darn interesting. Solving maths all day is like dying a slow death in the depths of a dark alley way =__=;

At A2 I think there are exponentials and logs, both of which you will need to be quite good mathematically to handle.
If you find physics much more interesting, and wouldn't mind putting the extra work in to learn the mathematical techniques required, then by all means keep it.

But in general, I would advise someone not to do A-level physics without studying A-level maths.
Reply 13
Trust me... physics is on a different level of difficulty than maths. Maths A level can be done in your sleep :wink: whilst physics A2....... well I think that will do :p:

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Reply 14
BigDave56
Keep Maths. If you don't "get" physics then don't carry on. Maths is a good A level to have but be prepared for it to get HARD. Being bored sounds as though you master it quite easily? Good luck.

For me, sitting doing similar questions day by day bores the hell out of me. It's not something I find interesting at all.

I get physics if I read nice and slowly and take my time. My mom used to be a physics teacher in her days so she helps me understand it most of the time.

As I said before, I think I will get higher grades in physics than in maths, so do you still think I should take maths when I am expected a higher grade in physics?

Why do Unis need maths more than phys? I thought phys will be the application of maths which is more beneficial?
Reply 15
M_E_X
At A2 I think there are exponentials and logs, both of which you will need to be quite good mathematically to handle.
If you find physics much more interesting, and wouldn't mind putting the extra work in to learn the mathematical techniques required, then by all means keep it.

But in general, I would advise someone not to do A-level physics without studying A-level maths.

YES! I am more than willing to put extra work into understanding mathematical techniques required for physics. At least in phys you apply your maths to daily life. In Maths... its just numbers and letters O_O I really don't get the point of it.
Do a survey in your local shopping centre.

That's the best way to find out something education related.

...:ninja:
Reply 17
I would go with what most people are saying and drop physics. I too do biology, chemistry, physics and maths and I kept all four on till A2 - but if I had dropped one, it would have been physics. Maths is generally considered to be easier by people who study it, but often more respected, just because most people think it's difficult. If you're finding the lessons boring I assume you don't find it too challenging?
Alternately you could try keeping all four on for the first term or something, or at least wait until you get your results and drop one based on that.
Illyria
I would go with what most people are saying and drop physics. I too do biology, chemistry, physics and maths and I kept all four on till A2 - but if I had dropped one, it would have been physics.

Really?

I'm in the exact same position - except I definitely wish i'd dropped biology
Haruhi
o.o; yea but....but but but I think I can do better in physics than in maths >__< In physics its not all mathematical formulas, there's also theory as well. And besides in physics once something clicks in its really easy to understand.

I was gonna drop maths, but seeing this made me rethink T^T

Have you seen the A2 physics specification... you need to know exponentals logarithms and solving equations etc etc (its on a completely different level to AS), where you have apply tons of the physics knowledge WITH the mathematics when you can just do abstract maths where the questions tell you exactly what to do, so much easier and simpler.

Or, have you checked the requirements for university courses, because many biology/chemistry based subjects require only chemistry and another subject which doesn't have to be biology? The combination of chemistry+maths is more favourable than chemistry+biology, so if you WANT to do physics you can drop biology if you prefer. That's what I'm doing (I find all the eco- biodiversity evolution kinda stuff in biology really tedious), and I'm planning to do molecular biology at uni
But I think you should definately have chemistry and maths.

Unis really like people who do maths because it shows understanding in logic, and maths is involved in every science subject and basically if you have maths unis are more likely to take you in :smile: