The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Moronic Acid
Really?

I'm in the exact same position - except I definitely wish i'd dropped biology

Mmm, I very nearly did drop physics halfway through the year but I thought I might as well finish the A2 - since I got an A at AS, it's actually impossible for me to get a U at A2 :dontknow:
I know what you mean about biology though - I've been doing past papers for it and it's driving me mad! I need it for University though so it was never an option to drop it...
sarubobo28
Have you seen the A2 physics specification... you need to know exponentals logarithms and solving equations etc etc (its on a completely different level to AS), where you have apply tons of the physics knowledge WITH the mathematics when you can just do abstract maths where the questions tell you exactly what to do, so much easier and simpler.

Or, have you checked the requirements for university courses, because many biology/chemistry based subjects require only chemistry and another subject which doesn't have to be biology? The combination of chemistry+maths is more favourable than chemistry+biology, so if you WANT to do physics you can drop biology if you prefer. That's what I'm doing (I find all the eco- biodiversity evolution kinda stuff in biology really tedious), and I'm planning to do molecular biology at uni
But I think you should definitely have chemistry and maths.

Unis really like people who do maths because it shows understanding in logic, and maths is involved in every science subject and basically if you have maths unis are more likely to take you in :smile:

Really?

Show me, this sounds awesome...:smile:

y = log x and logs...:love:
Illyria
Mmm, I very nearly did drop physics halfway through the year but I thought I might as well finish the A2 - since I got an A at AS, it's actually impossible for me to get a U at A2 :dontknow:
I know what you mean about biology though - I've been doing past papers for it and it's driving me mad! I need it for University though so it was never an option to drop it...

Ah fair enough :smile:

And yeah the past papers always seem so impossible when i start doing them :s-smilie:
***Hannah***
Really?

Show me, this sounds awesome...:smile:

y = log x and logs...:love:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publications/key_documents/AS_A_Level_GCE_Physics_A_Specification.pdf

It doesn't specifically say "use of logs" though :P
I love physics :p:
sarubobo28
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publications/key_documents/AS_A_Level_GCE_Physics_A_Specification.pdf

Oh I do AQA...:p:

But physics and maths are both amazing...:smile:
sarubobo28

With edexcel, i think they expect you to be able to re-arrange the capacitor decay equations (using logs) such as I=I0etRCI = I_0e^{-\frac{t}{RC}} but that's about it really
Reply 26
M_E_X
Drop physics.
You really need to study maths to handle the physics.

you only need AS maths to understand physics.

if you did mechanics in maths id drop it and do physics, as you repeat alot of m1.

Wait and see what our results are
Moronic Acid
With edexcel, i think they expect you to be able to re-arrange the capacitor decay equations (using logs) such as I=I0etRCI = I_0e^{-\frac{t}{RC}} but that's about it really

Ohh ok, the teacher said that you need C3 and C4 to help with the calculations but thats alright then :p: I never really understood logs... :o:
Reply 28
lm_wfc
you only need AS maths to understand physics.

if you did mechanics in maths id drop it and do physics, as you repeat alot of m1.

Wait and see what our results are

Isn't the exponential function studied at A2 maths?
You need to know that for A2 physics.

I'll say it again:

To do A2 physics it is a huge advantage to do A2 maths. I would not recommend anyone does physics without maths.
***Hannah***
Oh I do AQA...:p:

But physics and maths are both amazing...:smile:

High five to you :biggrin:
I thought AS quantum physics was really fun, but next year it will be even better because you get to learn alot about gravity n relativity n quarks stuff :P n e=mc squared xD
sarubobo28
High five to you :biggrin:
I thought AS quantum physics was really fun, but next year it will be even better because you get to learn alot about gravity n relativity n quarks stuff :P n e=mc squared xD

Yup, guna be amazing!

:five:
Reply 31
M_E_X
Isn't the exponential function studied at A2 maths?
You need to know that for A2 physics.

I'll say it again:

To do A2 physics it is a huge advantage to do A2 maths. I would not recommend anyone does physics without maths.

he said in bold, so must be right
lm_wfc
he said in bold, so must be right

What if his next post is 6 x 9 = 243646 in bold...:ninja:
Reply 33
do you want to get an a or a c??
do maths for an a
Reply 34
I am never going to go to another physics lesson again, so I would suggest that. The Physics exams were a lot harder than the Maths ones I found anyway!
Reply 35
***Hannah***
What if his next post is 6 x 9 = 243646 in bold...:ninja:

I hate to think....
Black hole? apocalypse? rip a hole in time?
Reply 36
The fact that you enjoy physics and are good at it is pretty damn rare, so from that point of view I would say continue. But tbh if you have your heart set on Genetics, then surely the choice is already made for you. I think it's worth doing another year of (in your view) a boring subject, that you also are good at, in order to stand a better chance of getting in to the course. Also as physics blatantly gets more difficult, and mathsy at A2, maybe you won't enjoy it so much. People I know who've done it say the "theory" which was interesting at AS, becomes ridiculous at A2 and it goes into the realm of "this MIGHT be how this thing, that we can't even prove, works" etc, and not at all applying it to real-life.
So, from me, it's another vote for maths =]
Reply 37
Drop maths, its much easier to get a higher grade in physics than maths. It really depends which you do better with in exams. Keep your best subjects, not the hardest
Reply 38
lol, he negged repped me for my post.
i could do physics without a2 maths easy
I agree with most others - keep the maths, but drop the physics.

Latest

Trending

Trending