The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i thought it was pretty decent too. what did you get as the exact value on the last question? there were loads of places to go wrong there!
Reply 2
megggggg
i thought it was pretty decent too. what did you get as the exact value on the last question? there were loads of places to go wrong there!

-5 over something I think. Wasnt too sure about that one because you cant take ln0
What did you get?
i thought it was hideous! i made so many mistakes and am really angrryy with myself.
you can't follow through with a value that doesn't work, and there were loads of follow through questions =[
I could not differentiate the really easy P one
i got 3/4 for the last one, though thats not the usual 'exact' value - ie log/e
anyone get 500/3 pi for one?
gaahhh
Reply 4
P one needed chain rule to use it.
I got 500pi/3 for the rotation around y-axis.

For the last question i ended up with ln (3^3/2). Probably made a mistake though as it needed a lot of simplifying. I had some 3/4 in it but i remember them cancelling out.
Reply 5
Jooeee
P one needed chain rule to use it.
I got 500/3pi for the rotation around y-axis.

For the last question i ended up with ln (3^3/2). Probably made a mistake though as it needed a lot of simplifying. I had some 3/4 in it but i remember them cancelling out.

i had ln(3^3/2) aswell :smile:....

i didn't get 500/3pi..but my mate did so i think that is right. sounds better than my answer...1375/12pi!
Reply 6
megggggg
i had ln(3^3/2) aswell :smile:....

i didn't get 500/3pi..but my mate did so i think that is right. sounds better than my answer...1375/12pi!

Well it is 500pi/3 i checked my answer on my calculator (does numerical integration). I think you can easily get in a mess with long integration questions though lol!
Reply 7
Can anyone do Q5.
It was the only 1 i didnt get :confused:

2LnX - 15/LnX = 11
for the tan one did people get 4 values likw 2.8, 5.9 then maybe 1.1 and 4.2

and for the h(x) was it just one value? i thought that to be strange, got a fraciton, perhaps 1/8

then -8,-6,6,8 for the inequalities? theyre the only ones im kinda confident about, between -6 and 6 then either side of -8 and 8??

i couldn't do the ln one at all which was really annoying.

but the 1 which was by parts: can anyone remember the answer to this??
Reply 9
Sabbir.M
Can anyone do Q5.
It was the only 1 i didnt get :confused:

2LnX - 15/LnX = 11

let y=lnx

2y - 15/y = 11

multiply by y

2y^2-15=11y

2y^2-11y-15=0

right?
Reply 10
megggggg
let y=lnx

2y - 15/y = 11

multiply by y

2y^2-15=11y

2y^2-11y-15=0

right?

Thanks. Looks good to me :smile:
Reply 11
It was 15/t not -15/y

Factorises to (2y-5)(y-3)=0

You'd already solved 2lnx=5 in the first part and the other value of x was e^3

This is what i remember though, hope it wasn't a negative :p:
Reply 12
megggggg
let y=lnx

2y - 15/y = 11

multiply by y

2y^2-15=11y

2y^2-11y-15=0

right?

yeah thats right, and whats even more annoying it that i didn't realise it until i walked out the exam!
to be honest, i think i did the method right for near all of it
then i reckon i just made little slip ups which will really cost me marks wise :frown:
Reply 13
i've just realised i subbed the wrong values in to the rotation one!! i put the x values in :frown: :frown: :frown:
Reply 14
Is everyone sure it was 2lnx-15/lnx=11?

I swear it was 2lnx+15/lnx=11
Reply 15
friggin solid!
Jessica13!
-5 over something I think. Wasnt too sure about that one because you cant take ln0
What did you get?

Ahh, because they gave us an expression for t, and we were integrating with respect to t, we needed to change the limits of the integral to be values of t, not x. That way, ln 0 doesnt come into it :wink:
Jooeee
Well it is 500pi/3 !

Yep, i agree
oh i forgot to change the limits! grr
Reply 19
Area of shaded region = !?!?

Latest