The Student Room Group

best universities for product design

i know this may be a matter of opinion but what would you say are the best universities to study product design at?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Northumbria, Loughborough and Brunel. Some other good ones around, like nottingham trent and St Martins. I personally wouldn't apply to any other ones.

Exon88
Reply 2
JaSPLuNK!
Northumbria, Loughborough and Brunel. Some other good ones around, like nottingham trent and St Martins. I personally wouldn't apply to any other ones.

what about leeds?
Reply 3
Exon88
what about leeds?

Leeds is a good uni, but for design not sure. I applied there, but didn't go there though.
Reply 4
are u both studying product design then?
Reply 5
Exon88
are u both studying product design then?

Yeah, I just completed first year at Loughborough. As for Leeds, it has a good rep for art but for product design, I couldn't tell ya.
Reply 6
JaSPLuNK!
Yeah, I just completed first year at Loughborough. As for Leeds, it has a good rep for art but for product design, I couldn't tell ya.

I was thinking about applying to loughborough and brunel, heard they were supposed to be really good in design subjects. Leeds isnt too far from where i live though and is a really nice city, plus its supposed to be good for art and design. Duno if that counts product design tho =S

how are you finding the course? is it a lot of work or is it quite fun?
Reply 7
Exon88
how are you finding the course? is it a lot of work or is it quite fun?

I don't know if it could be classed as fun! a lot of work and stress is more like it! but it's quite rewarding when it's over. Definetely very different to PD A-level!
Reply 8
JaSPLuNK!
I don't know if it could be classed as fun! a lot of work and stress is more like it! but it's quite rewarding when it's over. Definetely very different to PD A-level!

haha..well i suppose no work is really 'fun' but i can imagine it is very rewarding! thanks for the info anyway!
Reply 9
Yep I do product design. And yeh it's a lot of coursework and very different from 'GCSE/a-level mess around product design courses' but it is good!
Reply 10
Hi guys

Just a warning on the Leeds Product Design course - i've actually been applying (late i know!) to do BA in Product Design and start this september. I went to visit Leeds recently and it was pretty awful to be honest.

They do a 'design' degree and the woman there said that they do different pathways more for their own publicity and getting into the ucas system properly! I didn't think the Product Design was anywhere near as good as other uni's i've visited. If you're wanting a general design degree great, otherwise they don't seem to go into enough detail on anything - its all just really general.

I was actually really pleasantly surprised with Huddersfield, Sheffield. Staffordshire Uni is meant to be excellent too (but haven't been invited to go there yet...)

Hope this helps - good luck with it!

Cheers,
Sophie :smile:
Reply 11
soph3011
Hi guys

Just a warning on the Leeds Product Design course - i've actually been applying (late i know!) to do BA in Product Design and start this september. I went to visit Leeds recently and it was pretty awful to be honest.

They do a 'design' degree and the woman there said that they do different pathways more for their own publicity and getting into the ucas system properly! I didn't think the Product Design was anywhere near as good as other uni's i've visited. If you're wanting a general design degree great, otherwise they don't seem to go into enough detail on anything - its all just really general.

I was actually really pleasantly surprised with Huddersfield, Sheffield. Staffordshire Uni is meant to be excellent too (but haven't been invited to go there yet...)

Hope this helps - good luck with it!

Cheers,
Sophie :smile:

=/!

I went to look at huddersfield 2...looked really good. I didn't get chance to look around leeds though but from what youv'e said i wish i did! I assumed it would be better tho, so ive got Leeds as first choice and huds as back up....but now im beginning to wish i'd gone for somewhere like loughborough =/...

so where abouts do you think you'll end up going?
Hi, Im thinking of doing a Product Design course at UWIC (insitute of wales, cardiff) in 2010, does anyone have any opinions on this uni? good/bad etc

Also i am taking a gap year before going to uni, does anyone have any ideas about the skills and experience would be useful to gain before going into a product design degree?

Any insight/ideas would be great, cheers x
Sorry for the hijack guys, but do you have to

have artistic ability to to product design?
Reply 14
an_anonymous_friend
Sorry for the hijack guys, but do you have to

have artistic ability to to product design?

Doing art subjects would help to learn the basics of drawing. You would need to be able to draw at a basic standard at least, and you would be told the other basics to product design drawing (i.e. perspective)....the rest you would pick up yourself over time.

Though I personally did not do any art subjects at GCSE or A-level, nor was my drawing great at the start...
Reply 15
hey guys - I am Amrita from India.. I am an architect, and am thinking of applying for my masters study for fall 2010. Can someone give me more info on what career opportunities there are for product designers in the UK? Also, what are the best universities for product design in Europe?
Reply 16
Hola!
I'm Mayukh from India.. doing my engineering in mechanical. I'll be applying for product design/industrial design courses. Can someone help me out with respect to the various worthy universities offering these courses in the UK, Europe or South America?
Help in any form will be appreciated guys!
Reply 17
amritapk
hey guys - I am Amrita from India.. I am an architect, and am thinking of applying for my masters study for fall 2010. Can someone give me more info on what career opportunities there are for product designers in the UK? Also, what are the best universities for product design in Europe?

Hey. Are you from Bangalore? Why are you applying for product design when you have done archi? I'm perplexed!
:confused:
Reply 18
Hey does anyone know if sussex or brighton are any good for product design?
Reply 19
I think the order for me (and what I will apply for) is Brunel, Lbro, Northumbria, Nottingham Trent and I'm not sure on #5.

Quick Reply

Latest