The Student Room Group

"Umm... Just transfuse two units?"

THIS IS NOT A DEBATE ON THE RIGHTS AND WRONGS OF WHO CAN DONATE

As medical students and applicants, I'm sure a lot of us think of blood as the drug we're taught to think about it as!
But how many of us donate?

UK stocks are running low, as they do every summer as people leave for holidays in foreign climes and then can't donate for a few months upon return.

Anyway - worryingly, O neg stocks are running down - in short anyone needing blood can receive O neg more or less safely, so is invaluable in an emergency.

Supplies as of June 6th...

If no one donated O neg blood, in 5 days time there would not be any availiable for transfusion anywhere in the UK...

I used to work for the National Blood Service and can't remember a time that O neg stocks were as low.

Maybe you've not donated before and are scared. Go along to a session and see how you feel - you can talk to someone there about the process talk to people who donate and make a decision there and then - if you still feel scared or not comfortable you can leave. At least you would have given it a shot.

Search for your nearest local session here: www.blood.co.uk/SessionSearcher/search.aspx

Scroll to see replies

Im giving blood on the 17th! im O pos, but it cant hurt to give that even though there seems to be plenty.

I used to work in a blood bank, the amount of waste that there is is terrible, admittedly its not usually O neg thats wasted but its pretty horrible nevertheless. Its usually by wards that order too much and never use it, or who insist that we ordered in hla matched blood and then dont use it. its expensive stuff!
I'm not O neg, unfortunately.
Reply 3
Meh, im A methinks, sorry.
Reply 4
I don't know what blood type i am. I tried to give blood once and they physically couldn't get the needle in to even get enough blood out to see what type it was. My veins are miniscule. I have problems having blood taken for occy health too.

I really wish i could give blood, i wanted to for ages and as soon as i turned 17 i tried to, but couldn't. The nurse tried so many times in both arms that i was in tears and she told me not to come back.
See this is the sort of thing I need to sort out...
Toiletpaper8
I'm not O neg, unfortunately.

Unfortunately? Not if you need a transfusion... :p:

I'm O neg by the way, and have the keyring to prove it. Come on people, get donating! *is worried*
Reply 7
I had a needlestick injury back in February so I have to wait 12 months before I can again (even though it was like the most insanely low-risk one ever). :frown: And this was just as my 6 months return-from-Africa quarantine was coming to an end so I haven't been in ages!
Reply 8
O+ and donate whenever I can.

EDIT: That five day limit is shocking. Come on O- donate!
Reply 9
A+ but I can't donate because I did a month and a half ago :p:
But yeah, I agree, more people should donate and more should be done to encourage people to do so!
Reply 10
You can't have mine!

(Apparently I might give you BSE...)
Reply 11
Renal
You can't have mine!

Let me guess...you're O+ just like me. :love:
Reply 12
Renal
You can't have mine!

Thats because you're ancient, grandpa.
Reply 13
Shockley
Let me guess...you're O+ just like me. :love:
As it happens, how did you guess?
I'm on medication and will be for the rest of my life.

It's unlikely I'll be able to give blood.
Reply 15
I keep meaning to give blood but I'm a bit squeamish and I've received three doses of the HPV jab this year anyway so I've been out of donating action. I'll probably go after exams are over some time. :dontknow:
Reply 16
Renal
As it happens, how did you guess?

I don't know, I guess it was magic :wizard:
I was going to give blood when i turned 17 but apparently because i weigh like half a stone less then 7 stone 12 I can't. Sucks.
Reply 18
I'd like to ask a question regarding donating blood, may I donate blood even though I've got essential thrombocythaemia (in the better of three cases, if it isn't polycythaemia or leukemia) or is that a no go? I'm assuming no seeing as the platelets are in too high numbers (800,000 per microlitre) and many are defective/damaged, but I figured I'd ask anyway. Thanks!

EDIT: I'm A+ in case it matters.
Reply 19
Skycat
I'd like to ask a question regarding donating blood, may I donate blood even though I've got essential thrombocythaemia (in the better of three cases, if it isn't polycythaemia or leukemia) or is that a no go? I'm assuming no seeing as the platelets are in too high numbers (800,000 per microlitre) and many are defective/damaged, but I figured I'd ask anyway. Thanks!

EDIT: I'm A+ in case it matters.

Well, they separate out all the different components so it might be ok but I think it's definitely the sort of thing you need to ask the NBS themselves, or possibly your haematologist (assuming you have one). It's both a question of whether it's safe for you and whether your blood would be ok for the patients.

Latest

Trending

Trending