The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Kasphlam
I guess that shows how a radically different point of view can still gain good marks?

If I'd have got it I would have said it was Germany's increasing strength and the weakness of Britain and France - Spanish civil war was a turning point as it cemented it as you said. :smile:

Praying for an Italy question! The Jan 09 one was a bit iffy, my tutor said people did better on the other one.

I'm praying for an Italy or a " Hitlers success in foreign policy being donw to his skill or favourable circumstances"

For Italy, in order of importance my teacher said it should go like this :

- Consequnces of Mussolinis invastion of Abyissina in alientating Italty from the west and bringing closer to Germany

e.g breaking up Stresa and Hitler suppulying weapeons and Hitler able to go into Rhineland

- Growing miliataryand economic strengh of Germany in relatino to Italy

e.g. in 1934 Mussolini sent troops to Brenner Pass and deter Hitler from taking Austria but The Spanish Civil war showerd Germany outperform Italy which had been drained by Abyissinia. Mussolini witnessed Germnays miliatary might in a vist in Sept 1937.

-Weakness of Allies

e.g. could not curb Hitlers rearmamnet or Remilatarisation of the Rhineland, as well as the Anglo- German Naval pact and Franco-Soveit Mutual Alliance showing Mussolin that the Allies could not be trusted

-Agreement over spheres of influnece-

only obstalce standing in the way was Austria and South Tyrol. Hitler was willing to sacrifice South Tyrol for a closer reatioship with Mussolini who was obliged to countenance by backing Hitlers strategy to swallow Austria

-Hitlers exploitation of changing diploamtic situation -

include Spanish Civil War, October Protcols, Rome-Berlin Axix, Rome/Berlin vists, Muich Conferace, Pact of Steeek

-Shared idealogy

include all the similarites of Facism/Nazism but the diffrences e.g.. no race policy for italy
Cemented realtionship - Anti-Comintern pact
Mussolini introduced anti-Semetic legislation in 1938 as a token gesture to Hitler.
Mr_Steve_Stifler
whats likely to come up this time around? i need to learn this ******* chronology, is that the first most important thing?

Italy-German relatioships and Hitlers success and the reasons for it are by far the most reoccuring questions
g_star_raw_1989
Italy-German relatioships and Hitlers success and the reasons for it are by far the most reoccuring questions

italy came up last time, i'm not so sure it might come up this time, i'm prayin it does.
Reply 23
g_star_raw_1989
I'm praying for an Italy or a " Hitlers success in foreign policy being donw to his skill or favourable circumstances"

I've never heard of South Tyrol? :eek3:

I wouldn't mind a Versailles question but we had that in January. But yes, I like that kind of question too. :yep: I'd prefer earlier years to later years, but I doubt that'll happen.
Mr_Steve_Stifler
italy came up last time, i'm not so sure it might come up this time, i'm prayin it does.

Thats why I've revised Italy and Hitlers successes, one of them has come up every year, exept for three 3 years.
So if not Italy, the successe question should come up. Then again a focused question on 1938 or 1939, is not too bad.
Reply 25
Mr_Steve_Stifler

I think a "blah blah blah was the main cause of the war" question might come up. :no: Alongside Italy.
Kasphlam
I've never heard of South Tyrol?

I wouldn't mind a Versailles question but we had that in January. But yes, I like that kind of question too. I'd prefer earlier years to later years, but I doubt that'll happen.

South Tyrol, is ironically in northern Italy and it was annexed after WW1. It contained under half a million Germans.
However, Hitler did not make any terroioral claims unlike the Sudentkand or Polish corridor.
He sacrificed it for better realtions with Mussolini and in return Mussolini gave him the green light to swallow Austria. It lead to the Rome-Berlin Axix.
Kasphlam
I think a "blah blah blah was the main cause of the war" question might come up. Alongside Italy.

I think one question will be a wide one like Italy or Hitlers successes and one really narrow question on 1938 or 1939.
I hope they dont throw up the June 2008 question which was just about The Nazi-Soviet Pact
Reply 28
g_star_raw_1989
South Tyrol, is ironically in northern Italy and it was annexed after WW1. It contained under half a million Germans.
However, Hitler did not make any terroioral claims unlike the Sudentkand or Polish corridor.
He sacrificed it for better realtions with Mussolini and in return Mussolini gave him the green light to swallow Austria. It lead to the Rome-Berlin Axix.

Thank you :biggrin: It makes a lot more sense now. Now just for the right question to come up.

Usually there's a really awful question and an okay question, so as long as they're not both awful. :p:
Kasphlam
Thank you :biggrin: It makes a lot more sense now. Now just for the right question to come up.

Usually there's a really awful question and an okay question, so as long as they're not both awful.

Cool, cheers for the rep and I'll return it :yep:
I hope it goes okay, I'm sure we will be discussing it on msn tommorrow night.
Your not doing Unit 6 on the Nazi state are you ?
Reply 30
Kasphlam
Nah, it's not really the facts that'll give me a problem. It'll be making sure what I say directly relates to the question, and saying the right things. :p:

Here's the Jan 08 markscheme. :yep:

Questions were:

"To what extent did Nazi racial beliefs influence German foreign policy in the years 1933-38."

"The responsibility for the outbreak of a general European war in September 1939 was Hitler's, and Hitler's alone.
How far do you agree with this?"

Out of those two i would most likely do the second question which is basically a nationalist vs Nazi essay. Which policies were nazi idealogically driven and which would any german do.
Reply 31
g_star_raw_1989
Cool, cheers for the rep and I'll return it :yep:
I hope it goes okay, I'm sure we will be discussing it on msn tommorrow night.
Your not doing Unit 6 on the Nazi state are you ?

No problem, and thank you! :grin:
Oh yes I'm sure, if I survive my Literature exam in the afternoon. :p: Good luck!
I'm not, I've got Chartism unfortunately. :no: You're lucky getting loads of Germany! Source papers are my strong side though.
Reply 32
tomkat968
Out of those two i would most likely do the second question which is basically a nationalist vs Nazi essay. Which policies were nazi idealogically driven and which would any german do.

Ugh yes, the first question is absolutely awful IMO. The second question is much easier.
tomkat968

You've made the typical mistake of answering a question based on what you would like it to be rather than what it is and basically begging for an E
Look at the question, it requires a sharp focus on the year 1939, check the examiners report on that question.
Kasphlam
No problem, and thank you!
Oh yes I'm sure, if I survive my Literature exam in the afternoon. Good luck!
I'm not, I've got Chartism unfortunately. You're lucky getting loads of Germany! Source papers are my strong side though.

Cool, good luck with both your exams
Erghh ... Chartism, have you got Unit 5 next Monday :eek:
Reply 35
g_star_raw_1989
Cool, good luck with both your exams
Erghh ... Chartism, have you got Unit 5 next Monday :eek:

You too! :yep:
I do! Poor Britain and all. My tutor said it was the easiest though? As you have to pretty much include the same stuff in every answer, just mould it around the question. Germany for you? :p:
Kasphlam
You too!
I do! Poor Britain and all. My tutor said it was the easiest though? As you have to pretty much include the same stuff in every answer, just mould it around the question. Germany for you?

Nah, not for Unit 5 its Representation and Democracy which involves some chartism mainly on what a failure it was
I've got a 2 hours psychology before it
Reply 37
g_star_raw_1989
Nah, not for Unit 5 its Representation and Democracy which involves some chartism mainly on what a failure it was

You've gotta love Chartism. Best topic ever.
Ouch! The general studies exam is in the morning, so count yourself lucky you don't have to deal with that too. :p:
g_star_raw_1989

Kasphlam
You've gotta love Chartism.

Chartism.. Owch. Where to start... :frown:
Rep&Dem is just as bad imo :/
Got a fun filled 7 days ahead of us lol

& I've got the psychology problem as well, so much revision to do and so little time to do it in :s-smilie:
Reply 39
QUICK QUESTION...is anyone here?

Did the conservative nationalists want Lebensraum in Central Europe too (concept of a Mitteleuropa) OR did they just want a return to Germany's 1914 borders?

Because I've read a lot of books saying that they between 1933 to 1939 there were no differences in the aims of the nationalists and Nazi ideology, the differences were merely over the methods (Nazi ideology's ruthless dynamism alienated the conservatives)

But all of my friends are convinced that it's just a return to the 1914 borders..?

Latest

Trending

Trending