The Student Room Group

Maths exam written in pencil

I realised after my last maths exam that I wrote both in pencil despite the paper saying it should be done in black ink with drawings in pencil; - will I be penalised for this? I think the exam board was AQA. I dont want my entry to be voided. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've never once written a maths exam in pen, and it's never been a problem. I know I'm only one example, but I dont think it should be a problem, especially for maths where you tend to need to make a lot of corrections.
Don't worry. People who say it wont be picked up by the scanner are idiots - construction lines? You'll be fine.
Reply 3
have heard of a lot of errors in exams but this is a first. lmao. you telling me that u still use pencils for taking notes????
Reply 4
ny2ko
you telling me that u still use pencils for taking notes????

What's wrong with that? :confused:
Reply 5
i kinda cant remember seeing anyone do that since well primary
Reply 6
The reason for the pen rule isn't because of the scanner, but rather if you do it in pencil then someone else could later alter your paper without being obvious.
Reply 7
ttx
The reason for the pen rule isn't because of the scanner, but rather if you do it in pencil then someone else could later alter your paper without being obvious.
So they won't mark it then? Should I ring them up?
dont worry, i dont think that really matters. i wrote one of those science exams that we had all the way through year 10 in pencil and i came up with a B.
Sometimes they deduct upto 25 marks for this; It's an instruction - if you don't follow it it's your fatality. Good luck anyway.
Reply 10
Ring em up- just in case.
Reply 11
What could they do though if I rang them up? Would I have to resit it?
Reply 12
you are truly retarded
ny2ko
have heard of a lot of errors in exams but this is a first. lmao. you telling me that u still use pencils for taking notes????

I still used pencil for all my tut work until a few months ago when my tutor threw a hissy fit. And I'm second year uni. It's just neater for a mathematical subject.

But I've always used pen in exams so can't be of any help here.
Reply 14
FredFTW
I realised after my last maths exam that I wrote both in pencil despite the paper saying it should be done in black ink with drawings in pencil; - will I be penalised for this? I think the exam board was AQA. I dont want my entry to be voided. :frown:

omg i did tht too......:frown: :s-smilie: :confused:
Reply 15
as long as it was a normal HB pencil and not some shading pencil you should be fine.
It's perfectly ok.
What the exam board will do is, like what happens when you start writing in the margins and on the non-scan pages or get an extra page added, actually physically send your paper to a marker rather than scan it. You might get docked some points, but frankly, I doubt it.

If it's really an issue for you, talk to your school exams officer and ask their advice on what to do about it. If they feel there's a problem they can make a fuss about it to the exam board.

If you want additional anecdotal evidence, my friend last year wrote every single exam in pencil last year- she came out with 8 A*s, so basically the message is, don't worry about it. Just focus on the rest of your exams, and walk around with about twenty pens on you at all times!
Reply 17
FredFTW

you're abit dumb doing the exam in pencil don't you think?
Reply 18
Dont think it matters, pencils are quite a dark colour and very similiar to black pen so unless you're writing is unreadable, you should be Ok.
I did my maths exam in pencil...so i could rub my working out if i get an answer wrong....wtf is wrong with that for god sake!

Quick Reply

Latest