The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do some proper research.
Biomed-Student
Oxford graduates doing the best in postgraduate exams doesn't make it the best medical school.

Exactly, its sheer awesomeness makes it the best.
Wangers
Not true, no data to show any difference, it does not follow that there is no difference.

The reason the London schools are grouped together is partly historical as to the London Colleges all part of the fedral UoL system, the other part is the Mdical Act did not allow individual Colleges to award the MBBS. That chnged when they devolved the Charter partly to the GMC. UCL, ICL and I think GKT will all be added to the Medical act as a formality.

This is why there is no data, we will have to wait a ffew years for differentiated data to come onstream, and between that time there will have been substantial curriculum changes.

We're not splitting hairs here are we ?

No data = no evidence = (effectively) nothing

(I think we agree, actually!)
Reply 63
Insightful_Mandarin

The evidence doesn't exist yet because of the old practice of awarding UoL degrees, but check back in a few years and it will. I would be extremely surprised if the MRCP pass rates are the same for all London med schools. I'm not going to guess what the rank order will be, but I think the best London schools will probably be up there with Oxford/Cambridge/Newcastle if the previously mentioned MRCP study is repeated.
Reply 64
purplefrog
Medicine is a standardised degree. Just taught in different styles. All courses are regulated and approved by the GMC.
Probably has been echoed by many before

Purplefrog, this message isn't all in response to you, but I've heard this point so many times before that I feel I need to correct it.

If all pork sausages had to be at least 10% pork meat by law, would that make all pork sausages equal? Obviously not, but no one would mind if you claimed some sausages were better than others. It's the same with medical schools. All meet a minimum standard, which is by necessity rather high, but this doesn't make them equal. It is also well known that some medical schools are more competitive to get into, whether in terms of academia (Oxbridge) or psychometric testing (Nottingham) or in terms of numbers of applicants (don't ask me).

It has also been shown that there is a big difference in the first-time pass rate for the MRCP exam between graduates from the 'best' and 'worst' medical schools. The MRCP is the first important postgraduate exam taken on the way to becoming a hospital physician, and it is both theoretical and clinical. If you read the original paper, the authors do not think that this is due to some medical schools encouraging their best students to become physicians while at others the best students become surgeons or GPs. It is not to do with students from some schools taking the exam earlier either. If anyone wants to pick in holes in the study, they should try reading the paper first.

Don't get me wrong, all medical schools have their own strengths, and different people are suited to different types of teaching, but most of the responses on this thread are simply too PC to be helpful to anyone.
the coward who neg repped me could have at least left their username
bottfly7
OP's question is stupid. The best medical school is the one which suits you the most. If the OP wants to find out which medical school is "the best", then he/she should look at the medical school websites and decide for him/herself.

This.
Reply 67
sTe\/o
Purplefrog, this message isn't all in response to you, but I've heard this point so many times before that I feel I need to correct it.

If all pork sausages had to be at least 10% pork meat by law, would that make all pork sausages equal? Obviously not, but no one would mind if you claimed some sausages were better than others. It's the same with medical schools. All meet a minimum standard, which is by necessity rather high, but this doesn't make them equal. It is also well known that some medical schools are more competitive to get into, whether in terms of academia (Oxbridge) or psychometric testing (Nottingham) or in terms of numbers of applicants (don't ask me).

It has also been shown that there is a big difference in the first-time pass rate for the MRCP exam between graduates from the 'best' and 'worst' medical schools. The MRCP is the first important postgraduate exam taken on the way to becoming a hospital physician, and it is both theoretical and clinical. If you read the original paper, the authors do not think that this is due to some medical schools encouraging their best students to become physicians while at others the best students become surgeons or GPs. It is not to do with students from some schools taking the exam earlier either. If anyone wants to pick in holes in the study, they should try reading the paper first.

Don't get me wrong, all medical schools have their own strengths, and different people are suited to different types of teaching, but most of the responses on this thread are simply too PC to be helpful to anyone.

where have you been all my life I have been saying this for years...
Reply 68
Biomed-Student

oh right sorry - it was me - you were being rude to steVo and steVo is a legend - how much do you actually know about medicine?
Reply 69
OriginofSymmetry
Basically, I laugh at anyone not going to Oxbridge.

I wouldn't even applying to Oxbridge.

That kind of proves that it completely depends on the person as to which Universities will be better for them. Some strive for Oxbridge and consider it to be the only option, whilst for me personally it sounds like one of the worst possible places to be. The standards for medical schools and medical school applicants are so high that it is just not possible to construct an accurate "ratings" chart, like there is for other subjects. You just have to go on what feels right for you.
Biomed-Student

We're a fine one to talk (I assume it was you).
Spencer Wells
We're a fine one to talk (I assume it was you).

yes, sorry. :wink:
Reply 72
Insightful_Mandarin
No, I don't think it is "inaccuracy".
When that cohort was progressing through Med School (a few years ago now), I believe that all 5 London schools awarded a London degree.
i.e. Nothing to differentiate them.

Wangers
Not true, no data to show any difference, it does not follow that there is no difference.

The reason the London schools are grouped together is partly historical as to the London Colleges all part of the fedral UoL system, the other part is the Mdical Act did not allow individual Colleges to award the MBBS. That chnged when they devolved the Charter partly to the GMC. UCL, ICL and I think GKT will all be added to the Medical act as a formality.

This is why there is no data, we will have to wait a ffew years for differentiated data to come onstream, and between that time there will have been substantial curriculum changes.

Insightful_Mandarin

And this ladies and gents is why the BMAT has a blind essay, you can then choose the material you begin to work with.
Reply 73
Vazzyb
oh right sorry - it was me - you were being rude to steVo and steVo is a legend - how much do you actually know about medicine?
lol, and I gave him a pos rep back because I felt sorry for him. Oh well, thanks anyway, I didn't know I was a legend.

Latest

Trending

Trending