The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
***Hannah***
This.

Just take Maths, Physics, Chemistry & Further Maths.

You get A's you got a chance, you don't then ASDA is £4.61 an hour...:yep:

Actually it's £6.12/hour (at least it is for me :p:)

Oliviaaa
from what i have heard further maths is impossible, let alone to be done in the summer!

Far from it, I consider it my easiest A-level (French and Psychology are much harder and have a much higher workload). It depends what your attitude towards Maths is; if you enjoy it, you'll do well, but if you don't, you won't. I think Further Maths has something ridiculous like 55% of people taking it get an A, because people who take it are more likely to enjoy Maths and therefore work to get the A (and if you enjoy it, it's not as much effort :p:).

As for self-teaching in the summer, that's again far from impossible. Further Maths AS is, by definition, easier than Maths A2. There are people (myself included) that have self-taught Maths A2 in a couple of months, so it's definitely doable. If anything it's better than doing it in class, because teaching styles can be dodgy but if you can get your head round stuff by yourself, it sets you up really well for uni.
nuodai
Actually it's £6.12/hour (at least it is for me :p:)

I know I was making up stuff...:p:

My friends gets £6.90 I think...:eek:
Reply 42
nuodai
When they say 'helpful' they mean it. The mechanics you'll do in your Physics A-level isn't very complex, and you'll be completely thrown by some of the stuff that comes up in an undergrad degree if you've done no mechanics. It's maybe worth asking if you can do M1 and M2 instead of D1/D2/S1/S2/whatever it is you'd do otherwise, and then not go to the D1/D2/S1/S2 lessons and study M1 and M2 instead.

Alternatively, you could go along with the school's syllabus, and then go through the M1-3 (or maybe even M4 if you're crazy) textbooks in the summer after Year 13 before you start uni (and maybe mention that you'll do this in any interviews you get). Even if you're not examined in them, the knowledge will be invaluable for your degree, even if you don't get into Oxford.

Well all I know is that we do Edexcel Maths and I think OCR Physics. But i'll take your advice onboard. Whatever happens i'll end up doing some mechanics modules. Thanks alot for your help, much appreciated :wink:
Reply 43
Oliviaaa
from what i have heard further maths is impossible, let alone to be done in the summer!

Not at all, FM AS year is actually pretty easy. Especially if your wanting to do a mathematical science at oxbridge.
Reply 44
jack1865
congrats :smile:
how much extra work was it though doing 5 subjects? was it just revision all the time?

I wouldn't say it took too much extra work. I used all my frees to do homework and maybe an hour or so every couple of days after college, and then a little bit on sunday ( I work on saturday).

My friends doing 4 art/essay subjects did a lot more work out of college than me!
nuodai
Sorry, but this is very misleading. Cambridge will require A*AA but Oxford won't, however some other unis/courses will; and you definitely don't need 5 A*s at GCSE for anywhere, not even Oxbridge, Imperial, Warwick, etc... all the rumours about minimum GCSE requirements are absolute bull. I got into Cambridge, Warwick and St Andrews with 'only' 2 A*s, and there are people here to attest having got in without any A*s.

Yes...
That would be why i specifically said usually has a minimum of 5A*s.
That is what we were told was what was expected if you want to apply for oxbridge. Of course there are special circumstances, where it is different, hence the reason why i said usually.
Reply 46
***Hannah***
I know I was making up stuff...:p:

My friends gets £6.90 I think...:eek:

He must be on stepping stones.

Is he a lifer?
for me im doing maths, further maths, physics, chemistry in sep 09 and hope to do physics or engineering at a good university but im not sure on me getting A'S and B's for my gcse's

Latest