The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Over all? My worst result was a B but I got a couple of D's in some units, which I then resat. I'm sure you haven't done so badly that you can't carry on the subject :smile: at my sixth form they tell us they wont let us carry on a subject if we don't get at least a D over all...but there are people who didn't get D's and still carried on, they just had to sign contracts with the school and say they will do a certain amount of extra hours in silent study etc. so maybe your sixth form/college might do the same?
resits are made for students who think they want to improve their marks so if u think u can do better why not? i did a resit in one of the business studies unit and i have improved.
Reply 3
lowest was a B, but got a C in one french module =/ resits are worth it, got all As in the end :smile:
Reply 4
Smile-Like-You-Mean-It
what was the worst result you got last year in AS?
did you retake?
I think ive done bad in a subject but want to carry it on.
Just wondered if other people had done this, as I don't want to drop it as there is another subject I do not want to do next year and I cant stop thinking how Ive messed up.

I got a D in physics and dropped it, but that was because I also got a C in chemistry and couldn't afford to drop that. If you only get a bad grade in one subject, and you realistically think that it won't adversely affect your A2 grades, then I'd say retake the AS exams in january / june with your A2 exams.

But don't do this if you don't need the subject for university, and there are more important subjects you need to focus on. I would've loved to ahev carried on with physics, but I dropped it, because all the extra exams retaking physics AND chemistry would have screwed me over.
Reply 5
Smile-Like-You-Mean-It
did you retake?
Just wondered if other people had done this, as I don't want to drop it as there is another subject I do not want to do next year and I cant stop thinking how Ive messed up.

Cant say overall because my lowest subject i dropped. However in a JAN AS module for biology i scraped a D on 50% and was mortified - i couldnt understand how i could do better. The exam seemed impossible how could anyone get an A?!! Thats was when i realised my bad exam technique. Then with hard work and past papers I retook it in June and got 94%. I also got an A overall. Moral of the story - if you learn from where you went wrong you can always improve and do better.

As Einstein said; Learn from yesterday. live for today, hope for tomorrow".
Reply 6
i got an E in politics overall in my AS - i had a **** day with four exams, three of them politics. was still predicted a C overall for my A2 and there is a very good chance that i will exceed that if i work hard enough for my last three modules, but we'll have to see how dedicated im feeling.
Reply 7
My worst was a C in history... I later retook it and got a B, then I retook it again and got a C. Damn source papers... -.-
Same as Menalwen - I got a C in an English Lit module and resat it to get an A, which raised my overall grade from a B to an A, so that I ended up getting all As...

I'm sure you did absolutely fine so don't stree but there's no shame in dropping subjects or doing resits - you're only expected to take 3 A2s and practically everyone at my college did at least one resit... And no, I don't go to a crap college!
Reply 9
Worst grade was two Ds which I resat to Bs and a U in a module whivh I resat to a B.

It depends on how badly you've done because there's nothing to stop you carrying on a subject you got maybe a D in as you could always resit however don't make any decisions until you actually get your results.
Reply 10
I got a C in General Studies
I persevered this year, retook one module and then got an A overall at AS
In Economics I got a B in all modules, but then retook 2 modules, and now have an A at AS, and am 47 marks off an A at A2
All you can do is try :smile:
I got an E in a unit of Geography, a subject that I kept to A2, retook it in Jan and got an A.... (don't know quite what I did differently though!) Got 2 Us in Maths units which I retook although I dropped maths. So retook them with no lessons or anything and got them up to Cs so I had a B at AS.
I dropped the subject i got a d for!
I think the lowest I got in any module was a D?? but I came out with Bs and Cs overall which I'm trying to get to As and Bs. I did do some resits in Jan and improved e.g Ds to Bs. I think everyone in my year has done resits, I know someone who went from an E to an A. I think if you talk to your teacher in the subject you want to carry on they'll let you if they know you've worked hard in classes throughout the year and they think you can improve in a resit. I know someone who carried on a subject with an E so don't worry!
emily24316329
I got an E in a unit of Geography, a subject that I kept to A2, retook it in Jan and got an A.... (don't know quite what I did differently though!) Got 2 Us in Maths units which I retook although I dropped maths. So retook them with no lessons or anything and got them up to Cs so I had a B at AS.

hiya, i see you do medicine. But what I wondered is if you dont do well at AS how do you prove to your teachers that you will bet AAB as dont forms have to be sent off my October 15th.
Reply 15
I got a D in AS physics, including a U in the forces and motion unit.. twice. :borat:

Needless to say, I dropped that ****.
Reply 16
Smile-Like-You-Mean-It
did you retake?

Two Ds at AS Level (Bio and Env Sci) I re-took the Env Sci and gave up Bio... why you? BTW dw you can still go to uni lol... my sis got a U (put in wrong category for Art) and still got primary school teaching =)
indie_couture
hiya, i see you do medicine. But what I wondered is if you dont do well at AS how do you prove to your teachers that you will bet AAB as dont forms have to be sent off my October 15th.

Basically a mixture of begging and teachers being really nice lol, I'll PM you!!!
Reply 18
My worst result was when I got an E in AS Business Studies last year. Although my business teacher urged me to carry on the subjust to A2 I decided not too, but did decide to resit 2 modules in January without continuing the subject and moved this grade up to a C...so it is definitly worth it! :smile:
Reply 19
I got a U you can't get much worse than that! and no I didn't re-take cos I didn't carry it on to A Level so I didn't see much point!

Latest