The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I've attempted to answer some of your questions:

Will there be a higher work load then just Sociology? Or will it be spread equally?
If you do joint honours, you will take criminology in place of of sociology modules to a certain credit value, e.g. instead of 120 credits of sociology, you might take 60 credits of crim and sociology, or 80/40 etc. They will equate to the same number of credits as a single honours degree, so theoretically is the same workload. Although the number and length of essays/exams may differ, depending on the syllabus and module outline.

Are the jobs prospects higher? VERY IMPORTANT
I wouldnt say job prospects are any higher with a sociology or combined degree. The job prospects are the same even if comparing a completely different degree. When applying for a job, a lot depends on your application, references, wider interests etc. Additionally, the grading of your degree will be important etc. The same job opportunities are open to the majority of people, regardless of degree (apart from professionally accredted courses, e.g. nursing, veterinary medicine, engineering etc).

Is it easier then Sociology?
Criminology is predominantly applying sociological principles to crime, so they are rather mutual. Hence why a lot of people study sociology and criminology as a combined degree. If you are interested in crime, then you may find it easier in that way, but don't think criminology is by any means 'easier'.
Reply 2
Thanks alot. I would like more opinions/comments on this aswell though :smile:
Depends on the topics within each discipline. I found the abstract sociological concepts like Durkheim more difficult to understand than contemporary ones like childhood and ethnicity.
Will there be a higher work load then just Sociology? Or will it be spread equally?

I am doing joint Criminology and Sociology and tbh I have not noticed any difference with the work load in comparison to some of my friends who are doing single honours Criminology/Sociology.

Are the jobs prospects higher? VERY IMPORTANT

The job prospects for sociology are no higher than any other degree that people graduate with.

Is it easier then Sociology?

Criminology I personally find a lot more easier to understand. I also find it more interesting too. But others will probably say that they find Sociology more easy to understand.

Hope that is enough. But please take into consideration, what I have said is from my uni - ALL universities who have sociology and criminology are completely different and the work load and etc may vary.
Reply 5
Ah right cheers, more input would be appreciated.

Latest