The Student Room Group

ok so i just finished my 3rd year of Aerospace

Hi there WARNING A LONG BORING BLOG AHEAD

I got my exams results and in my 3rd year of my 4 year undergraduate MEng degree I got 58% average in year 3.

In year 2 I got 61.8% average.

Year 2 is worth 20%
Years 3 and 4 are worth 40% each.

Im worried that I can't get a 2.1 as year 4 is hard and im not that motivated but still willing to work hard as i can, as its only logical i get a 2.1 degree to get a well paid job, right now I need to average 63% in year 4 to just make a 2.1

I am really concerned about this, as 63% is rather high? especially in year 4?

I could choose to graduate with a BEng now
therefore year 2 will be worth 30% and year 3 70%.

My average would be about 59% which is a 2.2 but its within 3% of a 2.1 (60%) and i have enough credits in the higher grade boundary i.e. have got over 60% in enough modules therefore the university will award me a 2.1 Beng if i graduate now.

So I dunno if I should just get a 2.1 BEng now or risk it and try and get a 2.1 MEng

If I do a BEng and then apply for a masters degree I really dunno what I will want to do, i like have no motivation to go and apply for a masters on its own especially in Engineering lol.

And I don't know if i want to be a chartered Engineer because engineering is so boring after spending these few years studying it LOL
dunno if this is even funny.....

So I guess my main question im asking myself is if trying to get 63% average in year 4 being too risky? I mean even if I get 63% that only puts me on a 2.1 exactly.

anyone in a similar situation?

thanks
You could always finish your BEng now, and at the same time apply to some MSc course in the same/other university?
Reply 2
I have been looking at the modules for next year and some are okay i.e ones like management, materials because they make sense to me.

I am just really concerned with the aero modules that have like 100% coursework based, which could have some heavy matlab program stuff in and I am totally useless with matlab i don't even understand how it works unless someone tells me a function to use. But the coursework is group based...having said that I dont't like the fact that I would probably be relying on others to do the matlab...its like if it wasn't for that I'd fail the coursework because I can't use matlab. If you know what i mean?

thanks
Reply 3
hero
engineering is so boring after spending these few years studying it

Then take the BEng and do a Msc in something you'll enjoy. That's what I would do.
Reply 4
thanks for the replies

I think I am going to do the Msc and get my Beng now.
Been speaking to my tutor and he said because I have a 2.1 it would mean I only pay half price for the MSc.

Still thinking about it though, tbh i kinda just want to leave uni after a BEng but I am being told by people including my parents that its best to have a Masters degree...so im thinking i should just do it to avoid any regret in the future because a lot of times parents are right...

Also a little concern...my tutor said usually Msc is done by international students mainly rather than home students but having said that he said it isn't a bad thing.

Just got to go to uni and find out more info about this course i.e. how much is group work etc lso concerned incase I have to do any work in groups with people I dunno know who may be lazy etc lol i am always worried about the smallest things.
Reply 5
there is nothing wrong with having BEng 2:1. that will cover almost every employer's minimum requirements from then on it is all about interview performance and so on.You seem to hate the subject already so doing a 4th year would probably make matters even worse. Have you not considered starting work and at some point in your life (3-4 years?) if you feel like studying again doing a MSc?

Latest