The Student Room Group

Election in Iran

What is your opinion about presidency election in Iran which will be executed on June 12th ? who do you think is the winner ? In order to get familiar with current situation and candidates read the below text :
" Current situation "
HDI value (0.759)
Life expectancy at birth ( years ) (70.2)
Adult literacy rate (% ages 15 and older) (82.4)
Combined primary,secondary and tertiary gross enrolment ratio (%) (72.8)
GDP per capita (PPP US$) (7`968)
Economic freedom (%) (44) (one hundred first in the world )
Inflation(%) 25
" Candidates "
Ahmadinejad (current president) : Far fundamentalist - Traffic engineer PhD -Programs = almost equal distribution of wealth-radical emphasize on Iran nuclear rights

Karroubi : Moderate reformist -No academic degree but faqih ( Muslim clergy ) - Programs = Equal distribution of oil income between people above 18-educational insurance-emphasizing on civil rights – détente in nuclear policies

General Rezaei : Conservative -Economics PhD- Programs = Coalitional government-liberal economy-establishing 8 cultural centre in 8 cities

Mousavi : Reformist -Architecture M.S -Programs = First economic independence then nuclear policies(détente) – freedom of political prisoners and academic freedom-stop hanging under 18 murderers – stop Guidance Forces ( military forces that fight anti-Islamic wears ) – equality of ethnic and religious groups

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, I think you're Iranian right? In which case, salaam khosh amadid :smile:

I think it's pointless. With a Guardian Council and a dictator, sorry "Supreme Leader" in the form of Khamenei I think elections are just a show, a way for Iran's dictators to say "we have democracy, honest!".

The very fact that so many people were disqualifed and only these four got through shows all of them have satisfied the Guardian Council. Anyone who's satisfied the Guardian Council a) has a long history in propagating the Regime and b) thinks just like them.

Anyway, free secular liberal democracy ftw, I cannot wait till Iran becomes one :grin:
Democracy

I think it's pointless. With a Guardian Council and a dictator, sorry "Supreme Leader" in the form of Khamenei I think elections are just a show, a way for Iran's dictators to say "we have democracy, honest!".

The very fact that so many people were disqualifed and only these four got through shows all of them have satisfied the Guardian Council. Anyone who's satisfied the Guardian Council a) has a long history in propagating the Regime and b) thinks just like them.

Anyway, free secular liberal democracy ftw, I cannot wait till Iran becomes one :grin:

This.
Democracy

I agree with you . but I think Islamic Republic is essential now . because I want to destroy it myself . I`m secular too but I think Islamic Republic should stay more in order to spread more dogmatism and make people more unsatisfied . So we can easily destroy it .
Reply 4
messengerofliberty
I agree with you . but I think Islamic Republic is essential now . because I want to destroy it myself . I`m secular too but I think Islamic Republic should stay more in order to spread more dogmatism and make people more unsatisfied . So we can easily destroy it .

That's certainly one way of looking at it. I read an interesting comment by someone a while ago who said he hoped Ahmadinejad would be re-elected as that would speed up the demise of the Islamic Republic.
Reply 5
I guess youre not living in Iran then, allthough being an Iranian?
Just out of interest are Iranians who are living in a foreign country allowed to vote in the election?
Reply 6
What effect will the Lebanese elections have on the Iranian elections do you think? It looks as if the Hezbollah faction have lost, is this likely to fuel support for Mousavi? I'd of thought it would if people were less convinced of having an ally in Lebanon and feeling more isolated under Ahmadinejad.
Reply 7
fg08
I guess youre not living in Iran then, allthough being an Iranian?
Just out of interest are Iranians who are living in a foreign country allowed to vote in the election?

No, I do not live in Iran.

I guess if you're an Iranian citizen living abroad you can vote, otherwise no.
Komakino
What effect will the Lebanese elections have on the Iranian elections do you think? It looks as if the Hezbollah faction have lost, is this likely to fuel support for Mousavi? I'd of thought it would if people were less convinced of having an ally in Lebanon and feeling more isolated under Ahmadinejad.

I think only US presidntal election affects other countries . For example , in Iran whenever Democrats were elected , iranian reformists were appointed
Reply 9
Hmm imo elctions of radical parties all over the world affect other countries policies. The election of a more liberal leader in Iran would affect the policy of the whole middle east. Israels policy would change and also the polivy of other states in this area, it would even change the middle east policy of the US because the nuclear threat would be reduced and hence they would focus on other issues in the region.
you cant say that US presidential election is the only election that affacts other countries, but it is true that its one of the most important if not the most important election in the world.
Mann, all the new leaders in Iran are just another example of puppets, basically. A new face, a beard?, different hair and a suit, and a new name - they won't make such a great deal. I mean, they hardly control everything in Iran - just on a very small scale.

Unless it's Ahmadinejad! :awesome:
Reply 11
Mir-Hossein Mousavi is a big legend
I guess we'll see...
daruishraz
Mann, all the new leaders in Iran are just another example of puppets, basically. A new face, a beard?, different hair and a suit, and a new name - they won't make such a great deal. I mean, they hardly control everything in Iran - just on a very small scale.

Unless it's Ahmadinejad! :awesome:

I agree with you . but I think Islamic Republic is essential now . I think Islamic Republic should stay more in order to spread more dogmatism and make people more unsatisfied .
messengerofliberty
I agree with you . but I think Islamic Republic is essential now . I think Islamic Republic should stay more in order to spread more dogmatism and make people more unsatisfied .

Well, one argument suggest we allow the IRI to grow, and yes, become liberal, and this can be correct as a revolution flipped two opposite groups around, and shook up Iran. For Iran to grow now, its only been 30 years since a revolution and we are becoming brighter. However this argument is weak, seeing as though we've heard the same excuses over and over, and its a bit long isn't it, to wait for liberalism.

On the other hand, i would prefer if the libearalization of iran would take place faster, by whichever means.
Reply 15
I voted for Mousavi last night, in the London embassy along with many, many other Iranians.
I can't believe theyre trying to tell us Ahmadinejad received double the votes mousavi did!
Did anyone else here vote?
Reply 16
Riots going on now
thanks to god ahmadinajad won the elections

he stands against the evil and racist acts of the Zionists
Reply 18
How likely is it that the election will be repeated if there is some evidence that the election was manipulated? Any chance?
Reply 19
Riots are going hard and fast in Tehran -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mousavi1388/sets/72157619592664479/show/with/3621715877/

An astonishing gallery:

Latest

Trending

Trending