The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I said they should be remembered more etc!
And totally missed the sarcastic thing.
So, how much do you get penalised for missing the point of the poem, aha? I'm worried now.
what did you say for the a question. i said a was most effective in communicating sadness. but wrote the most flowery, un-concise answer. nastttttty
and what themes did people use for b. mine were disgusting: injury, life at home and patriotism (one grotesquely large theme as i merged the 2..fgihfsdgusfdfsgd), then mental illness (awful. nothing to say. irrelevant), then realised i had to talk about women (so wrote 1 bloody tiny paragraph). nightmarish. oh, and i didn't have time to conclude. and wrote 4 extra pages. ARGHUDSFHGUDSFG so disappointed
Reply 82
i'm going to stop reading this before i realise i've done it alllllll wrong :|
explosiive
Oh nice, I did the same ones. :woo:

excellent :yep:

also, what is this lyrical ballads some of you guys keep talking about?
is it the exam you're doing on wednesday afternoon? im doing Hamlet and Shelley then.....
explosiive
So, what themes did you consider for part B then?

I did loss of youth also, horrors of war concerning mental side from owens disabled, glad i watched and read regenration now. some on jingoistic women using extrract c on the character Mrs Myers. The naiive side of the charcter Nobby in the play.

My conclusion was *****. :mad:
i just googled dirge of victory and there's barely anything on it, but the google books link says its trying to preserve the memory of the war dead, and that glory shouldn't go to the living
it doesn't say anything about it being sarcastic and apparantly it was read at a few rememberence day services which might suggest it isnt sarcastic cos otherwise they probably wouldn't read it out at a ceremony
makes me feel a bit better....
white rabbits
excellent :yep:

also, what is this lyrical ballads some of you guys keep talking about?
is it the exam you're doing on wednesday afternoon? im doing Hamlet and Shelley then.....

Yeah prose and poetry, wordworth and coleridge...and a winters tale shakespeare! I am dreading it, our teacher was **** for lyrical ballads, i forget all the stuff about neoclassics etc.. :frown:
white rabbits
i just googled dirge of victory and there's barely anything on it, but the google books link says its trying to preserve the memory of the war dead, and that glory shouldn't go to the living
it doesn't say anything about it being sarcastic and apparantly it was read at a few rememberence day services which might suggest it isnt sarcastic cos otherwise they probably wouldn't read it out at a ceremony

yeah, it wasn't sarcastic, was it? i thought it was actually gentle at times (eg euphemism of "eastwards" or something) and that made it quite sad. but the poet wasn't trying to convey sadness, he was trying to bla bla bla, describe battle bla what do you tihnk?
white rabbits

Yay I really hope it isnt based on sarcasm!!
white rabbits

Me too! Phew!
jeroboam
yeah, it wasn't sarcastic, was it? i thought it was actually gentle at times (eg euphemism of "eastwards" or something) and that made it quite sad. but the poet wasn't trying to convey sadness, he was trying to bla bla bla, describe battle bla what do you tihnk?

oooh. i just said it was trying to convey sadness :s-smilie:
but i agreed with the Q that the other poem conveyed it better cos of the pathetic fallacy and all the stuff about faith dying and them not being remembered by nature...
which victory poem was it?

i did the exam in janurary, i'm just interested in what extracts you guys got this time :smile:
I did part b first and felt so relieved to find attitudes of women a strong theme. I wrote about the similarities between the women in the hospitals and the men on the front line. As in they had the same useless managers and witnessed similar horrific incidents.
I wrote that extract d had a lack of emotion/opinion therefore it was atypical.
1 a was a bit of a nightmare and i panicked when i read on here that extract b was sarcastic?!?! i wrote that it was more positive because Victory gave something back to the dead. hope some other people have written that!!
I thought extract a had more feelings of sadness.
hope everyone's done ok :smile:
white rabbits
oooh. i just said it was trying to convey sadness :s-smilie:
but i agreed with the Q that the other poem conveyed it better cos of the pathetic fallacy and all the stuff about faith dying and them not being remembered by nature...

i am probably wrong but i didn't really focus on faith dying. and i thought that it was saying that death is universal and sad but it is embraced by nature, and is thus natural (the bit about the bower i thought represented the harmony etc). and teh nature in the other wasn't used to convey sadness, but to illuminate the horror of the physical battlefield. and thus was not as sad, but more direct and confrontational to reader? i went on... and on... and on. such an unfocused answer (hello a b!)
jeroboam
i am probably wrong but i didn't really focus on faith dying. and i thought that it was saying that death is universal and sad but it is embraced by nature, and is thus natural (the bit about the bower i thought represented the harmony etc). and teh nature in the other wasn't used to convey sadness, but to illuminate the horror of the physical battlefield. and thus was not as sad, but more direct and confrontational to reader? i went on... and on... and on. such an unfocused answer (hello a b!)

ummmmm, let me try and remember what i wrote. it feels so hazy in my mind already!
i think i started by saying nature remembered the dead with the rain and stuff and later on he said that the sky should always weep over them, but then i used the laughs gayly over their burial place bit to say that it was sad nature didnt remember them. but then i said alternatively that could just show some hope that things aren't sad forever and nature can move on from the grief. i think i just waffled, and talked about nature as if it is a person!
and then i said for the other poem that the weeds made it sound like the dead people were considered to be a nuisance, like weeds :s-smilie:
and then i just talked about how both poets were sad that the dead weren't remembered more. and for the victory poem i said how he thought the victory shouldnt be for the living but for the dead.
sorry, i didnt mean to give a rundown of my entire essay....im just really worried its all wrong!
i'm sure it's 10000% better than mine; i had no structure
how did you structure? i just listed as many points as i could. someoe PLEEEASE tell me that's what they did
aahrgh
lol, i don't think i did structure mine!
my teacher always said to put both poems in the starting sentence of the paragraph so its deffinitely comparing them. so i did that.
apart from that i just wrote freestyle :P
I said that the nature part near the end, was postive using an euphemism as "crimson.." i forget other word ha, and "lovers bowers" instead of the contrast to earlier as "mound" Nature watched over,like a higher power. With other one i said it also sympathised with dead when talking bout the weeds etc, but main focus was victory with capital V, repetition of victory and trumpets and the last line was something like they have it at last!! I said 1st one extract A was more sad as it concentrated fully on the obscurity the soldiers were left with, nameless; unknown , unknown heroes etc and didnt focus on victory/heroism, there was somthing about there patriot zeal and pride dying with them i think.

I just hope i didnt interpret B wrong :frown:
Reply 98
Oh god, I rambled on for SIXTEEN AND A HALF sides with a very, very fuzzy structure for each, my teachers never actually told us how to structure part B... Every time I've practised these questions I've only made it last like an hour so I was trying to eke it out as long as possible, and, inevitably it turned into a convoluted tangle of bilge with far far far too many commas and dashes. God, didn't even really get the first two poems (did anyone else think they were really similar? Almost too similar to successfully compare?) and then those two on nurses- did I actually ever read Testament of Youth? No. Were they expecting a comparison with it? I'd bet my bottom dollar. Aghhfsdqkhgnrn
Les_Etoiles
I said that the nature part near the end, was postive using an euphemism as "crimson.." i forget other word ha, and "lovers bowers" instead of the contrast to earlier as "mound" Nature watched over,like a higher power. With other one i said it also sympathised with dead when talking bout the weeds etc, but main focus was victory with capital V, repetition of victory and trumpets and the last line was something like they have it at last!! I said 1st one extract A was more sad as it concentrated fully on the obscurity the soldiers were left with, nameless; unknown , unknown heroes etc and didnt focus on victory/heroism, there was somthing about there patriot zeal and pride dying with them i think.

I just hope i didnt interpret B wrong :frown:

i think i said this sort of thing. but didn't really focus on the victory aspect. LOOOL FAIL

Latest