The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

jammer
I really messed up....

I skipped the entire Co-ordinate geometry question (lack of time) <==== Really freaking me out!

I skipped the last bit of Matrice Simultaneous equation in the Matrice question

I couldn't write the conclusion and the last step for Matrice Induction

Could I still possibly get an A assuming all other things being correct?

What's the usual grade boundary for an A? Hoping it's 55'ish....

MATRIX, OR MATRICES, never matrice

and 55? r u joking, in jan it was 62, and that was harder than this 1!
Reply 261
giran
It's because they made sure the bastard chief examiner, who wrote the Mechanics papers didn't touch his/her hands on the real maths! :p:

(s)hes baaaaccckkk! :bawling:
Fiasco
Nope, it was 16t(1+t^2).

thats what i meant, mistype, which is hard to believe :smile: Should be 75/75 on this paper :biggrin:
apocalipse117
MATRIX, OR MATRICES, never matrice

and 55? r u joking, in jan it was 62, and that was harder than this 1!

Harder in january? Lol, are you having a giggle? That paper was so straightforward and no wordy confusing stuff. 75 was easy to get on that tbh.

Surely they can't put the boundaries up more than 63/64? What's the highest people have seen? (Any maths module?)
I couldn't do Question 5b. I feel so stupid now coz it's the only question I couldn't do in my twelve maths a-level exams.
I am still confused though, I was told that the det of a matrix represent the scale factor, isn't that why we do
area of image = det* area of object? Anyway I was so focus to find an expression for the det of the matrix and put it to 15 that I missed the most obvious thing.
The exam was very similiar to the Jan 09 paper, if anything its going to go up by 2 marks probably.
Reply 266
zafaru123
The exam was very similiar to the Jan 09 paper, if anything its going to go up by 2 marks probably.

it was kind of easier no? im scared about grade boundaries now! because i know raw marks i got 91% minimum, but in jan 87% was 80UMS, i really wanted over 90UMS!! i wont get it now
It was 62/75 for 80ums in Jan right, which is about 83% right. I've been looking at both papers.

-Solving f(x)=0,- Jan asked to solve a cubic, giving one solution, and June asked to solve a factorised quartic. I'm going to say they have an equal difficulty.

Q2 in both papers asked to prove that the sum of a formula equals something, by using the sum of r^2 and r. June's paper was worth 2 more marks, but was more difficult. So this type of Q. was harder in June but was worth 2 more marks.

Complex Numbers- I think Jan's paper's complex number was a lot harder, it asked you to do a lot more.

Numerical solutions- I'm going to say that June was harder in this topic, it asked for linear interpolation and newton-raphson. And in Jan there was 3 marks for differentiating, and 4 for solving, so there was 7, but in June there was only 5 for doing pretty much the same thing. So I think June paper was harder in this topic.

Matrices- I think in Jan, this topic was slightly harder, but not by much, simply because we had to calculate an area of a triangle.

Co-ordinate systems- questions on both papers were similiar, but there was 2 questions in Jan, and only 1 in June.

Proof by induction- 10 marks available in Jan, and 14 in June. In Jan, there a series and sum of proof, and in June a matrix and divisibility proof. People who I know, generally find the series and sum of easier, which is why they were prob. 5 marks each.

So overall, the 2 papers in my view aren't that different. Depends on what topics people find harder.
Reply 268
zafaru123
It was 62/75 for 80ums in Jan right, which is about 83% right. I've been looking at both papers.

-Solving f(x)=0,- Jan asked to solve a cubic, giving one solution, and June asked to solve a factorised quartic. I'm going to say they have an equal difficulty.

Q2 in both papers asked to prove that the sum of a formula equals something, by using the sum of r^2 and r. June's paper was worth 2 more marks, but was more difficult. So this type of Q. was harder in June but was worth 2 more marks.

Complex Numbers- I think Jan's paper's complex number was a lot harder, it asked you to do a lot more.

Numerical solutions- I'm going to say that June was harder in this topic, it asked for linear interpolation and newton-raphson. And in Jan there was 3 marks for differentiating, and 4 for solving, so there was 7, but in June there was only 5 for doing pretty much the same thing. So I think June paper was harder in this topic.

Matrices- I think in Jan, this topic was slightly harder, but not by much, simply because we had to calculate an area of a triangle.

Co-ordinate systems- questions on both papers were similiar, but there was 2 questions in Jan, and only 1 in June.

Proof by induction- 10 marks available in Jan, and 14 in June. In Jan, there a series and sum of proof, and in June a matrix and divisibility proof. People who I know, generally find the series and sum of easier, which is why they were prob. 5 marks each.

So overall, the 2 papers in my view aren't that different. Depends on what topics people find harder.

the general consensus between teachers and most people is that jan was harder than jun, however there are obviously going to be a few that think the contrary or a few that think they're the same
Reply 269
how many marks would i lose for putting the angle as positive in the first question?

otherwise i think I got everything right. I was pleased that the divisble proof turned out to be easy :smile:
Reply 270
Ravv
how many marks would i lose for putting the angle as positive in the first question?

otherwise i think I got everything right. I was pleased that the divisble proof turned out to be easy :smile:

You would just lose 1 mark, if you done the method correctly then you should get the rest of the marks.
i will be sitting for fp1 this jan 2010....if u hav any resources please send me at [mod edit: please don't post email addresses]

thanks in advance
I'm doing the June 2010 FP1 and I'm solving June 2009 (new spec.) and I see everyone discussing the rest of the paper (which I found to be dead simple) and not discussing the last question, namely part b. Matrices are not my strong point. Could someone walk me through the 8-b? The marking scheme isn't helping.

The question is:
Prove by induction that

I know how to start, but I can't conclude.
Reply 273
when you say conclude cosmic do you mean do the induction step or the actual conclusion step?

(2)you sub in n=k to get
the matrix above to the power k = (2k +1 , -2k, // 2k , 1-2k)

(3)then you do
the matrix above to power k+1 = n subbed as k+1

but matrix to power k+1 is the same as matrix to power k times matrix (to no power) , ie (3 , -2)^k+1 = (3 , -2)^k x (3 , -2) >>> only showing top half of matrices as cant write out full matrix

and you showed in step (2) , the matrix to power k = your subbed in values (2k+1 etc) and so you do this matrix times original matrix (3, -2 etc) and multiply this all out

you will find that it equals the matrix you have given on the right (2n+1 etc) where n is subbed for k+1 and so proved true by induction

sorry thats so unclear but read it carefully

the main point is that a matrix to power k+1 is equal to matrix to power k times by matrix (no power)

Latest

Trending

Trending