The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Question about sport in Loughborough? Click here first before you ask.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
e-m-i-l-y
YO! ANDY! are there lots of fit sports MEN that i can prey on?
:wink:

lmao to e-m-i-l-y, everyone is asking for general information about doing sports and then you just pop in and you're straight to the point, no messin about.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Athletics - not really, well compared to other sports. Saying that we had our summer ball on that night so hardly anyone within hall did it, was all the affiliates!

Football - yes, very!! There will be a tryout at some point most likely, and not only will you have freshers but the affiliates (returners/freshers out of hall) too. Don't be put off for going for it though, you'll meet others and what not :smile:

-x-
Reply 22
I'll do swimming:yes: who with me?:bath:
Reply 23
The membership fees seem a lot to pay in one go...do you have the option of paying these on a direct debit like on a monthly basis or something??

Also if you join one of the sports clubs lets say badminton....just on a casual basis if your not very good - do you just pay a one off fee or is thi continuos throughout the year and does these fees cover use of facilities and equiptment??

Thanks
Reply 24
All clubs are a one off fee, no monhtly direct debits, just have to pay in one go. You can use the facilities and equipment during club training hours, but if you wanted to play badminton outside of those you would have to pay for the priveledge
no boxing? wtf
Reply 26
dantheman123123
no boxing? wtf

There is a club between campus and town (about 5 mins from the union)
Is there anywhere to go Spinning (exercise classes)? Its my fave thing to do in terms of exercise so I hope I can do it in Loughborough too. :smile:
polka_dott
Is there anywhere to go Spinning (exercise classes)? Its my fave thing to do in terms of exercise so I hope I can do it in Loughborough too. :smile:

The LA fitness in town does and also Radmoor Centre I think. I've not heard of anywhere on campus though.
Anyone know anything about Rugby Union coaching courses? I'm looking into it when I go to Uni, and theres not many better places, in any, to do it.
Reply 30
Hey there, im coming to Loughborough College this year 2010 to study Sports Science and came based on Sport. I play national senior rugby here in the Caribbean, football and cricket. I was wondering if there are any restrictions as to which teams i can play for, for example can i play rugby for the Uni teams? I was in contact with a coach there and he advised me to apply to the college in order to benefit from Loughborough sports in general. any info is much appreciated.

Roan
Reply 31
Hey,
I'm a new member here and I've just firmed Loughborough

I'm an international student and really into cricket.

Could someone please tell me about the cricket scene at Loughborough? I've heard they have the best university cricket teams and they also go upto 5ths.
Do the teams play regularly and whats the standard? Is it very very difficult to get into the squads?
Thanks
polka_dott

oh my gosh I love that, utterly kills me though..
Reply 33
I need to go spinning or something, get myself back into shape -.-
Reply 35
how can I join Loughborough football team if I am going to join the university, and do all loughborough football team players are UK U21 players?
Reply 36
Original post by ragman_wonder

Original post by ragman_wonder
Uni Sports Clubs:

The majority of sports are run by the AU

Athletic Union Clubs: http://www.lufbra.net/au/auclubs/

Some are run by Societies

Students Union Societies: http://www.lufbra.net/societies/socslist/

For either of these links, simply click on the sport you are interested in.

The training for most sports is intense. Expect to be committing 3 days a week to training and 1 to games MINIMUM.

IMS:

Is a competitive league between halls where "IMS Points" are awarded for wins.

The main sports teams (Rugby, Football, Netball, Hockey) are generally made up of those who have played before and either didn't make the uni team, or don't have the time for Uni Level sport.

The remainder of IMS sports tend to be taken less seriously and pretty much anyone can have a go.

You will never know if you're good enough unless you try.

"I've heard Loughborough is really sporty!/Will I fit in if I don't play a sport?/Is everyone there an Athlete?"

Loughborough is the top university in the country for sports. Fact.

This means that a lot of people here are high standard Athletes.

This doesn't mean that the majority are.

You will not be kicked out or ostracised for not playing a sport.

You will see people who will be 10 times fitter/stronger/bigger than you.

These people are (generally) human beings.

No-one will force you to play a sport.

You can go your whole 3/4 years here without playing a sport, and trust me, many people do just this.

What about gyms? I want to get massive/get fit/lose weight!!!

There are two Main Gyms on Campus, these are LUFS (loughborough university fitness suite) and Powerbase (known as Base)

LUFS
Normal gym.
Has a freeweights section
Selection of Resistance Machines
Stretching area
Treadmills, X-Trainers, Steppers, Bikes, etc
Sauna
Spa pool
Steam Room

POWERBASE
The professional athlete's gym of choice
Conditioning central
Split in to "Elite" and "Public" open times.
If you're not sure if you should be going here, you shouldn't.

There are also gyms in the Swimming Pool, Gymnastics Centre and HIPAC (HIgh Performance Athletics Centre) however these are for the users of those centres and you cant buy membership just to their gyms.

Off campus, there is a Council Run Leisure Centre, and a Fitness First, as well as a couple of other gyms.

Sounds awesome... how much?

Prices for Gym and Pool

Base £230 per year
LUFS £170 per year
Pool £105 per year, or £2.50 per session

Base and Pool £280
LUFS and Pool £225

Whats the situation with sports bookings? I went to Birmingham and basically they said that the elite athletes get the gym/pool/courts most evenings and weekeneds, and that everyone else had to fit in around them - so it sounded impossible to get a decent booking at a good time. Is Loughborough the same? I'm in to cricket. If its going to be impossible to get in the nets, or get to join one of the teams straight away then I'd rather go somewhere else and be sure of having a go
Reply 37
Is it difficult to get access to the sports facilities if you are not an elite athlete? I visited Birmingham and they basically said that the Elite athletes get the run of the place for most of the time and everyone else on campus has to fit in to odd times of the day. Is this the same at Loughborough?

Also, are there as many teams as people who want to play? For instance I'm into cricket, but if there's 200 people interested and only 4 teams then I may not get a look in so it would be a waste of time going to such as sports based uni.

I'm not doing a sports linked degree (Economics) but sport is a big thing for me
Original post by Womble99
Is it difficult to get access to the sports facilities if you are not an elite athlete? I visited Birmingham and they basically said that the Elite athletes get the run of the place for most of the time and everyone else on campus has to fit in to odd times of the day. Is this the same at Loughborough?

Also, are there as many teams as people who want to play? For instance I'm into cricket, but if there's 200 people interested and only 4 teams then I may not get a look in so it would be a waste of time going to such as sports based uni.

I'm not doing a sports linked degree (Economics) but sport is a big thing for me

There is a recreational side to most clubs, as well as the intra-mural sport. I know many people who play for local teams too (cricket included)

The elite timetable is published - at all other times it is bookable.
I personally go to the council run gym - I pay £3.70 per class and go whenever I want...and it is £2.50 in the middle of the day during the week. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending