The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Question about sport in Loughborough? Click here first before you ask.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
how competitive is it to join the American Football team? I've never played it before (nearest team is over an hour drive away), but I have the height, build, and athleticism for it. I'll probably join the athletics team too, as I am currently a sprinter, but I think I want to prioritise Football because it's a team game and I'd like the change of pace.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by .Theory
how competitive is it to join the American Football team? I've never played it before (nearest team is over an hour drive away), but I have the height, build, and athleticism for it. I'll probably join the athletics team too, as I am currently a sprinter, but I think I want to prioritise Football because it's a team game and I'd like the change of pace.

Theory, drop me a PM, I'll put you in touch with Coach Scott (HC of the Aces).

The American Football team is very much a meritocracy - everyone is given a chance, the weak drop out, the naturals excel, the others improve.

In an american football team, there isn't the typical "1st 11, 2nd team, 3rds, 4ths" etc. Instead the team itself is huge, up to 80 players, split in to offence and defence. 11 on the field at any one time. These will be your starting team, who are picked from those performing best the week before alongside the regular starters. You then have "strings" 2nd string Quarterback will rarely get a chance to play compared to say, a 2nd string lineman.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by ragman_wonder
Theory, drop me a PM, I'll put you in touch with Coach Scott (HC of the Aces).

The American Football team is very much a meritocracy - everyone is given a chance, the weak drop out, the naturals excel, the others improve.

In an american football team, there isn't the typical "1st 11, 2nd team, 3rds, 4ths" etc. Instead the team itself is huge, up to 80 players, split in to offence and defence. 11 on the field at any one time. These will be your starting team, who are picked from those performing best the week before alongside the regular starters. You then have "strings" 2nd string Quarterback will rarely get a chance to play compared to say, a 2nd string lineman.

Mate, Is it hard to enter the football team there ?
Original post by Majdovic7
Mate, Is it hard to enter the football team there ?

as in Association Football?

Simple answer - Yes.

There are several teams though, and intramural teams too. It all depends on how hard you're willing to train and how good you are.
Reply 44
Is there another swimming club/team around Loughborough except the university team? Maybe with requirements that don't lead you straight into Olympics (if I could swim 29,...sec on 50 metres I wouldn't be sitting here.:wink:) or is there a way to get lifeguarding certificates or work as one part-time? Because that is what I'm training for, I'm good at lifeguarding but not so much on competitive swimming :smile:
Hi

I was going to keep lboro as first choice. I had few queries regarding the teams.

Say if you haven't played pro-level at county level or national leagues for basketball, would I still be eligible to have a trial for the men's lboro team. I reckon if I get into awesome shape (which i plan to do during hols) while working on my game I should be good enough. However would the fact I havent played at a very high level prevent me from getting a trial? Or do I have a fair chance like everyone else.

Also for the footy team, could I try out for the main team or do I need some sort of county level exper
Reply 46
Original post by MrFoCuS2K10
Hi

I was going to keep lboro as first choice. I had few queries regarding the teams.

Say if you haven't played pro-level at county level or national leagues for basketball, would I still be eligible to have a trial for the men's lboro team. I reckon if I get into awesome shape (which i plan to do during hols) while working on my game I should be good enough. However would the fact I havent played at a very high level prevent me from getting a trial? Or do I have a fair chance like everyone else.

Also for the footy team, could I try out for the main team or do I need some sort of county level exper

Anybody can attend the trials! For basketball u sign up, and then they create random teams. The coaches are watching the teams play and they move the best players to different courts and etc. Btw the level is not that high for basketball, so if you re better that ok then u stand a good chance for getting picked especially now that there are 4 teams if i m not mistaken.

Uni football trials are veryy challenging !! The level is very high! You have to be veryy good to get picked !!
Reply 47
can't wait to finally put my legs on lufbra football field XD
very excited for the uni :smile:
Hey,
how about volleyball?
is it hard to get in?
I have some skills, but have never played professionally.
Hey
I was wondering; some unis I have been on open days to charge people when joining the sports teams ie they charge for every training session attended as well as match being played in. I was wondering does this apply at Lboro as well. Some unis also offer some discounts on gym like if you play for a team you get free access or high discount rate on gym (like normal would be £30 but if you play for a team, they charge like £15) does this apply at Lboro?
Reply 50
Was just wondering what team I can be expecting to play in if I joined loughborough, I have played semi pro for a number of years and had trials at charlton and west ham
Original post by e-m-i-l-y
YO! ANDY! are there lots of fit sports MEN that i can prey on?
:wink:

LOOOOL I think this is the first comment I seen anyone hoping to 'prey' some-one at LBORO :tongue:
Is there a lot of scouts from various sports in the pro-league visit Lboro cos it's the best sport's uni in the world (according to stats)
Original post by M.A.D.L
Was just wondering what team I can be expecting to play in if I joined loughborough, I have played semi pro for a number of years and had trials at charlton and west ham

Got the potential to make the firsts, but expect the rest of the firsts to have the same and better experience.
Reply 54
Hi

I'm joining Loughborough in September, and have already been in contact to join the swim team, and live in the swimmers accomodation.

What I was wondering is how many loughborough swimmers are active on TSR, and how you find it.

Thanks
:biggrin:
Reply 55
Original post by ragman_wonder
Uni Sports Clubs:

The main sports teams (Rugby, Football, Netball, Hockey) are generally made up of those who have played before and either didn't make the uni team, or don't have the time for Uni Level sport.

I have a real interest in playing badminton. Are facilities available
Original post by ...mo...
I have a real interest in playing badminton. Are facilities available

Yes. There's a badminton club that runs recreational sessions about three times a week (as well as various teams and higher level stuff), and there's several courts you can book to use with friends.
Reply 57
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Yes. There's a badminton club that runs recreational sessions about three times a week (as well as various teams and higher level stuff), and there's several courts you can book to use with friends.

Oh great!!! I don't intend to play at a proffessional level but rather with a few friends. Is this possible?

What charge/booking process is there?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ...mo...
Oh great. I don't intend to play at a proffessional level but rather with a few friends. Is this possible.

What charge booking process is there?

Yep, it's possible.

I don't know how much it costs to book a court as I've never done it, but I assume it's fairly cheap and I know for sure that you can.
Reply 59
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Yep, it's possible.

I don't know how much it costs to book a court as I've never done it, but I assume it's fairly cheap and I know for sure that you can.

Do you have any detials of times/dates when it can be booked or is it allways availble?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending