The Student Room Group

How easily influenced are you by the media?

Scroll to see replies

The poll results are an absolute lie, that's all i'm saying. :P:
Reply 21
I watched RTE News the other night from Ireland. Headlines were: Public sector cuts, Anglo-Irish Bank bail out, Afghanistan. Then I switched to BBC. Headlines: Bank bail out, public sector cuts, Afghanistan. And then Sky: exactly the same. Then the wild card - Al Jazeera. Totally different: Israel, Iran, US economy. And I thought to myself: Do they spy on each other to see who's leading with what story? They must do. "This is what you must be preoccupied with today!"

I did my dissertation in the manufacturing of news and how the media sets an agenda. So while I couldn't say I am completely immune to it, I am usually aware of the slant of a piece, and tend to check multiple sources. Of course part of the problem is when an event or incident is stage managed so thoroughly that journalistic access is basically set up, so whatever an organisation's political slant, the message is being manipulated at a deeper level.
Probably a little bit tbh.
Reply 23
Everyone is to a certain extent. Those who say not at all, are fooling themeselves.
Reply 24
I voted for 'a tiny bit'. Obviously pretty much nobody thinks they're influenced a lot by the media because we always feel like we're the author of our own thoughts and feelings and we're really bad at understanding what influences us and why.

However, a lot of my beliefs are relatively unpopular and the only coverage likely to be found in the media is when they're arguing against them. Even left-wing media. So, although I know I get influenced by the media, I can't be being influenced too much, or else I'd have more mainstream beliefs (supposing that I'm exposed to the average amount of media).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending