The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Yeeeeessss!!!
Reply 61
I'd just like to throw another 'I would actually have voted for them' comment into the fold. I feel like my vote for Libertas was wasted.
Reply 62
Damn I thought the pirate bay got a seat.
'
[ceman']No. Unless you started distributing it to people free of charge, there by hindering the newspapers ability to make profit and stay in business.

If everyone keeps passing around films and downloading them illegally then eventually they will stop being made. If a product is no longer profitable then the business that it supports will collapse.

Piracy having negative consequences does not make piracy theft. Theft is a specific term both in common language and legal terms (see here and here), neither of which apply to copying media without its creator's permission.
Reply 64
L i b
It's not hypocrisy to break the law and yet accept it as reasonable at the same time.

The hypocrisy is in you saying one thing, while doing the other.

Hypocrisy: The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.
Reply 65
If everyone keeps passing around films and downloading them illegally then eventually they will stop being made. If a product is no longer profitable then the business that it supports will collapse.

Red Hat Enterprise is an amazing example of open source software making money. Their model is based on charging for help and support and have profited out of it. Another model is making open source software and then charging for something like a "pro" version of it. My point is open source models can make money, you just need to be more creative than "oh lets put it at £200 and since we're the biggest developers/only ones making this in the market they'll have to buy it anyways".
Reply 66
Fiasco
The hypocrisy is in you saying one thing, while doing the other.

Hypocrisy: The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.

Holding a value is different to upholding it. If your actions defy your beliefs and you acknowledge this, you are not a hypocrite.
Reply 67
Planto
Holding a value is different to upholding it. If your actions defy your beliefs and you acknowledge this, you are not a hypocrite.

I would disagree with you on that, in the sense that: If I accept that I am a hypocrite, I'm no longer a hypocrite? That doesn't make sense. Also by having values you do not uphold you are a hypocrite by definition.

Anyway, accept what you want. Though, if you think it doesn't make him a hypocrite, what does it make him?
Reply 68
Fiasco
I would disagree with you on that, in the sense that: If I accept that I am a hypocrite, I'm no longer a hypocrite? That doesn't make sense. Also by having values you do not uphold you are a hypocrite by definition.

What? No.

"if I accept that I am a hypocrite, I'm no longer a hypocrite"

No. I never said that. If you accept that your actions are wrong, you are not a hypocrite.

"also by having values you do not uphold you are a hypocrite by definition"

Yeah, you just said that and I corrected you before. Professing values you don't hold is not the same as professing values you don't uphold.

Contradicting your own professed beliefs with your true beliefs, particularly by altering your logic according to context, is hypocrisy. There is nothing hypocritical about doing something in spite of the fact that you acknowledge that you shouldn't.

It's not really up for discussion, because the word is fairly clearly defined and you are wrong.
Reply 69
L i b
It's not hypocrisy to break the law and yet accept it as reasonable at the same time.

Utter rubbish. It's immoral because you are stealing the intellectual property of another and, ultimately, the person who is distributing it is breaking the conditions of its purchase.

Selfish, left-wing bull-****. If someone owns something, they can charge whatever they ******* well like to someone who wants to buy it. That's not exploitation, that's property ownership. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Your either delusional or stupid, your response is not an argument. You have restated your initial claim, well done.
Reply 70
Planto
Posts like this really ruin an interesting discussion.

There is no interesting discussion to be had.

If firms did not exploit there monopoly power and the consumer all things we "illegally" download would be virtually free.

The other side are parroting what the government has already told us.

Yet another case of those who think versus those who don't.
Reply 71
Willis123
There is no interesting discussion to be had.

If firms did not exploit there monopoly power and the consumer all things we "illegally" download would be virtually free.

The other side are parroting what the government has already told us.

Yet another case of those who think versus those who don't.

And you clearly lack the ability to do so, as evidenced by the depth of understanding of the issue you display.
Reply 72
Willis123
Your either delusional or stupid, your response is not an argument. You have restated your initial claim, well done.

No I have not, and you're clearly just a troll.
terpineol
I can only think of one album I would have actually gone out and bought had I not downloaded it. Even then my father has already paid for it once on vinyl.

Are you seriously arguing that without a downloading-possibility you would have only bought one album?
Reply 74
Planto
What? No.

"if I accept that I am a hypocrite, I'm no longer a hypocrite"

No. I never said that. If you accept that your actions are wrong, you are not a hypocrite.

"also by having values you do not uphold you are a hypocrite by definition"

Yeah, you just said that and I corrected you before. Professing values you don't hold is not the same as professing values you don't uphold.

Contradicting your own professed beliefs with your true beliefs, particularly by altering your logic according to context, is hypocrisy. There is nothing hypocritical about doing something in spite of the fact that you acknowledge that you shouldn't.

It's not really up for discussion, because the word is fairly clearly defined and you are wrong.

No, of course he's not a hypocrite for that, but he is a hypocrite because he's on this forum telling everyone why download is wrong...

He not only believes downloading is wrong, he goes around telling everyone that it is, but he downloads himself.
Reply 75
Fiasco
No, of course he's not a hypocrite for that, but he is a hypocrite because he's on this forum telling everyone why download is wrong...

He not only believes downloading is wrong, he goes around telling everyone that it is, but he downloads himself.

No, he's not condemning people for downloading, he's saying that copyright is legitimate, which is entirely different.
Reply 76
Planto
No, he's not condemning people for downloading, he's saying that copyright is legitimate, which is entirely different.

Who said anything about condemning people for it? Anyway, you're wasting my time. Have fun.
Roundabout
Are you seriously arguing that without a downloading-possibility you would have only bought one album?

The only time I am ever tempted to buy albums is from the tesco bargain buckets. I set myself a limit of £1.00 to consider an album for legal purchase and I am proud to say I've yet to give in when things are within that.

I like to have a bit of music to listen to, but there is no way in hell its worth more than about 6p a track. Music just isn't worth that much to me.
Reply 78
ish90an
Red Hat Enterprise is an amazing example of open source software making money. Their model is based on charging for help and support and have profited out of it. Another model is making open source software and then charging for something like a "pro" version of it. My point is open source models can make money, you just need to be more creative than "oh lets put it at £200 and since we're the biggest developers/only ones making this in the market they'll have to buy it anyways".

I'll admit that help and support services are a way to make money from developing software without IP. But making a pro version wouldn't work. There'd be no incentive to buy it because you could just get a copy from someone.

Offering services based around your software really would be the only way to make money without IP. But that just doesn't work with some software. If you look at gaming, the only games that could make money would be MMOs and possibly other multiplayer games that rely on an external service that couldn't easily be replicated. Single player games would cease to exist.
Reply 79
I'll admit that help and support services are a way to make money from developing software without IP. But making a pro version wouldn't work. There'd be no incentive to buy it because you could just get a copy from someone.

So how do you think MySQL and OpenOffice.org make money? Not to mention all the shareware that relies on trial versions and for which serials and crack files are available all over the internet?

Offering services based around your software really would be the only way to make money without IP. But that just doesn't work with some software. If you look at gaming, the only games that could make money would be MMOs and possibly other multiplayer games that rely on an external service that couldn't easily be replicated. Single player games would cease to exist.

That is an interesting point. I wonder if advertising within games, especially with sport and GTA-esque games, would generate enough revenue. Illusion Labs seem to be doing this, by relying on both pro versions and adverts within the games they make for iPhones.
Many FPS games are relying increasingly on multiplayer modes and online play so purely single player games are declining anyways. They would make more than enough money from multiplayer play to compensate for any loss they might have incurred on the single player mode, which to many people is more of an intro to the game rather than something they'd be permanently fixed on.

Latest

Trending

Trending