The Student Room Group

A* Maths Question

Hello,

I am a student in the Lower 6th and in January of this year I took C1 and C2. This summer I am taking C3, S1, M2. In Summer of next year I will take C4,S2,M3,FP1,FP2,FP3

Regarding the A* grade I have been receiving mixed messages from my teachers. Please can I ask, as I am sitting C3 now, which is an A2 module, and not in 2010, is it able to count towards the A*?

Many Thanks.
Reply 1
Yes it does, you need 90% average in C3 + C4 to get the A*.
Reply 2
I sure hope so as I am doing it as well. As you say I've been getting mixed messages as well mostly them being unsure about if it will count or not.

I would tend to say that it will as it is an A2 module and therefore will count towards A2 levels acheived which would be for 2010 but I'm not sure.
Reply 3
It won't because the new A-level specifications start for exams in 2010.
Reply 4
Hence the mixed messages haha! Who will be right, Donks or Andrew...
Reply 5
The Maths syllabus hasn't changed, so the C3 will count towards an A* if (and only if) it is certificated in Summer 2010. It depends what your school does; often with Further Maths schools don't certificate either of the A-levels until they're both completed. Like I completely Maths A2 this January, but neither my Maths A-level nor Further Maths A-level will be certificated until this summer.

However, if they do certificate your Maths A-level in Summer 2009, you can't get an A*. Not that it matters of course...
Right what happens is that.
The requirements for an A* in 2010 at the end of your A Levels requires:
80%+ for your average AS grade
Then 90%+ for every module in A2 not counting resits.

Latest