The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
D3M!
Why don't you scan them on to the internet . That way if your house gets burnt down or blown up by a nuclear you still have them online.

Thanks, I'll be doing that aswell. :top:
Reply 21
Absinth
Thanks, I'll be doing that aswell. :top:

Now all you've got to worry about is not getting burnt down or blown up by a nuclear :biggrin:
Reply 22
Hi there,

New to the site, found your question quite by accident. Preserving pencil, graphite and charcoal sketches can be a challenge, even with fixative or hairspray.

I saw a reply suggesting photographing it. Here's an option whereby you can spray it to preserve it if you want but just think - you can do so much more.

Why not scan it? Much better than photographing trust me I've been there. Most libraries have nice big A3 scanners with high resolution. Black and White at 600dpi will be sufficient.

The world is going digital, artists are needing to as well. If you don't want to lose it or have it damaged in any way then make it digital. Save as a JPEG.

Once you've done that, please consider turning your sketch into something even more. What are you keeping it for? Once you've scanned the original, you won't lose it. But how about going over it in a fine line non-bleed pen? Or even better and if you're feeling brave - paint over the lines with a very fine paint brush in black. Then rub out the pencil, scan, play your heart out with it in photoshop! Reverse it! Change the colour. Make it a design, not just a sketch. Show people what you can do!! Just ideas I've playing with myself. You'll be surprised what can come out of it and so will everyone else.

And now I've given my best design secrets. Graphic design might not be your thing but how will you know unless you give it a shot?

You can collect all your sketches your whole life but what will you really do with them? Buyers and employers are more likely to want a finished work of art. Sometimes you have to take risks with your sketches.

Not for everyone though, just ideas, so please feel free to disregard. :smile:
Enjoy!

Latest