The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 1
mixed (majority)
with some single (i think)

but its basically what you said:
flats are 4 girls and 4 boys set on 2 floors (girls upstairs, guys downstairs)

not at manc yet but from what i have heard from people owens park if the more hardcore residence.
it depends if you want catered

so
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
priceless_beauty
Hi

I just want to get this straight.

Is it mixed sex or single sex.

I want to be in a shared flat with 4 girls and 4 guys (incuding me).

Is this how they normally allocate it, or is it single sex floors. All guys on one floor, all girls on another.

One more thing...

Which is better oak house or owens park

is there that much difference socially?

most of these questions have their answers on the accommodation website.
http://www.accommodation.manchester.ac.uk/ouraccommodation/areaguide/fallowfield/oakhouse/
Reply 3
priceless_beauty
Hi

I just want to get this straight.

Is it mixed sex or single sex.

I want to be in a shared flat with 4 girls and 4 guys (incuding me).

Is this how they normally allocate it, or is it single sex floors. All guys on one floor, all girls on another.

One more thing...

Which is better oak house or owens park

is there that much difference socially?

It is mixed sex within the flat, but the flats are duplex and the girls live upstairs and the boys downstairs, and then you share a living room and kitchen but there's a girls' bathroom and a boys' bathroom.There are a few single-sex flats I think, but they're not the norm.

Depends what you mean by better - I don't think there's any difference socially really, although I suppose you interact more with a larger group of people regularly since OP courts all go for meals together. There's no real difference though, really.

I think Oak House is better because 1) I live there, and 2) Can't be doing with catered.
Reply 4
OhNO!
It is mixed sex within the flat, but the flats are duplex and the girls live upstairs and the boys downstairs, and then you share a living room and kitchen but there's a girls' bathroom and a boys' bathroom.There are a few single-sex flats I think, but they're not the norm.

Depends what you mean by better - I don't think there's any difference socially really, although I suppose you interact more with a larger group of people regularly since OP courts all go for meals together. There's no real difference though, really.

I think Oak House is better because 1) I live there, and 2) Can't be doing with catered.

is oak house actually a dive as many ppl in other threads seem to be suggesting or what?

its my first choice on my accommodation.
Reply 5
dom321
is oak house actually a dive as many ppl in other threads seem to be suggesting or what?

I've never seen anyone suggesting it's a dive? Just some people seem over sensitive to it's party reputation. My view on is it would be easier to do work in social halls than try to be social in less social halls, if that makes sense?

(it's my second choice but i'd rather it be my first now as richmond park is a bit pricey)
Reply 6
eddymaine
I've never seen anyone suggesting it's a dive? Just some people seem over sensitive to it's party reputation. My view on is it would be easier to do work in social halls than try to be social in less social halls, if that makes sense?

(it's my second choice but i'd rather it be my first now as richmond park is a bit pricey)

thats why i put richmond and sheavyn 2nd and 3rd as i felt they were a bit expensive
Reply 7
dom321

It's alright, it's not luxury accommodation but it's fine. The showers are immense, and the living room/kitchen is pretty big in comparison to other halls. I don't think the "posher" halls are that much nicer considering how much extra you have to pay. I posted a picture of my room on the accomm. pictures thread, it'll be quite far back but if you search for Oak House you'll find it.

And, good choice.
Reply 8
OhNO!
It's alright, it's not luxury accommodation but it's fine. The showers are immense, and the living room/kitchen is pretty big in comparison to other halls. I don't think the "posher" halls are that much nicer considering how much extra you have to pay. I posted a picture of my room on the accomm. pictures thread, it'll be quite far back but if you search for Oak House you'll find it.

And, good choice.

lol, im not too bothered about absolut luxury just aslong as iv got somewhere to work, as i may need some pretty big workspace lol

i would prefer oak house as i think richmond is nice but £4k is extortion
Reply 9
Oak House is good value for money. Other self catered halls can be 1200+ more expensive for the year and tbh you don't really get much more. The rooms are quite small though. My friend was in Oak House last year and his room was proabably about half the size of mine (Pankhurst Court). Saying that if you are not planning to take much stuff, and it is good discipline not to, then Oak House is fine.

I loved Uni showers. I use to go for showers when I was bored last year, could easily spend 30 mins in there until my bathroom flooded.
Reply 10
DeeDub
Oak House is good value for money. Other self catered halls can be 1200+ more expensive for the year and tbh you don't really get much more. The rooms are quite small though. My friend was in Oak House last year and his room was proabably about half the size of mine (Pankhurst Court). Saying that if you are not planning to take much stuff, and it is good discipline not to, then Oak House is fine.

I loved Uni showers. I use to go for showers when I was bored last year, could easily spend 30 mins in there until my bathroom flooded.

i just need space to work i think as the studios close at 8 or 9 but i recon oak house should begood fun, hopefully ill get it cus im unconditional atm
Reply 11
dom321
i just need space to work i think as the studios close at 8 or 9 but i recon oak house should begood fun, hopefully ill get it cus im unconditional atm

It depends on how neat and tidy you are. The desk space in Oakhouse isn't great but i am sure if you were comitted to keeping your room tidy you could cope just fine. I am sure when it is matter of several hundred pounds you will make yourself keep your room tidy.
Reply 12
DeeDub
It depends on how neat and tidy you are. The desk space in Oakhouse isn't great but i am sure if you were comitted to keeping your room tidy you could cope just fine. I am sure when it is matter of several hundred pounds you will make yourself keep your room tidy.

ill prob just wait for everyone to gpo to bed and then be sprawled all over the kitchen lmaooo

na im sur eill cope somehow

Latest

Trending

Trending