The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Amit92
Hey,

I would just like to ask if Cambridge and Oxbridge look at your GCSE grades? Do you need all A*s and As to get in? Or would something like 2A*,2As,6Bs be good enough?

Has anyone got into either of these universities without all A*s and As?

Thanks

First of all:
Oxbridge = Oxford + Cambridge

Second of all:
2A*, 2A, 6Bs is fine, as long as your AS-level grades are good.
Reply 2
Roundabout
First of all:

Second of all:

The 2A* isn't GCSE it is from a Level2 B-TEC qualification which is equivalent to 2A*S!
Reply 3
Amit92
The 2A* isn't GCSE it is from a Level2 B-TEC qualification which is equivalent to 2A*S!

They're still GCSE level; It doesn't matter whether they are traditional or not.

Same goes for BTEC/OCR National Diploma's as A levels.
gosh, people have got into oxbridge with no gcses.

chill.
ethnn1
They're still GCSE level; It doesn't matter whether they are traditional or not.

Same goes for BTEC/OCR National Diploma's as A levels.

no. oxbridge dont value Btec instead of a levels.
Reply 6
paddy__power
no. oxbridge dont value Btec instead of a levels.

I wasn't suggesting that, I was making an example. :smile:
Reply 7
Strangely enough, I got 2A*, 2A and 7Bs, and a D, and I got an interview. Apparently, the fact I was rejected after my interview can't have been my grades, as the grades determine you getting the interview, and then the interview score mixed with other factors determines the success of your application. Obviously grades play a certain role but Cambridge must have thought I had a shot with those grades or they wouldn't have interviewed me at all.
ethnn1
I wasn't suggesting that, I was making an example. :smile:

fair play =]
Reply 9
TomLeigh
Strangely enough, I got 2A*, 2A and 7Bs, and a D, and I got an interview. Apparently, the fact I was rejected after my interview can't have been my grades, as the grades determine you getting the interview, and then the interview score mixed with other factors determines the success of your application. Obviously grades play a certain role but Cambridge must have thought I had a shot with those grades or they wouldn't have interviewed me at all.

Lol well I hope I have some chance..But got to nail these darn AS-levels lol
Reply 10
Amit92
Hey,

I would just like to ask if Cambridge and Oxbridge look at your GCSE grades? Do you need all A*s and As to get in? Or would something like 2A*,2As,6Bs be good enough?

Has anyone got into either of these universities without all A*s and As?

Thanks

Yes, people are accepted who don't have all A*s.

There are stickies at the top of the page explaining this, and a quick search of the forums would have answered your questions. In fact there's a thread about GCSE grades just four threads below this one. :/
Reply 11
Yes / no / it depends / yes.
Reply 12
At the Oxbridge talk given last week our lower sixths were told by a Cambridge admissions officer that the average number of A*s for a successful applicant is 6.
but obviously if you don't have that you can make up for it in other ways (AS levels, personal statement, work experience, initiative through extra reading, interview) :smile:
I remember in the Cambridge talks last year they stressed that it's better to improve, having lower GCSEs but good AS level grades, than to have brilliant GCSEs and sort of pan out at A level. Just to show that you're not ruled out on your GCSEs, the overall picture is taken into account. :smile:
Reply 13
Again!?

I'll go mad if there is another one of these posts in the near future.# :sigh:
They don't matter a great deal, the higher the better, but so long as you come out with a handful of A*/As and a few Bs you should be alright. It's also quite course dependant - apply for Chemistry at Oxford with no A*s or As and you'll probably still get an interview providing your AS scores are good; try this with Medicine and you most likely won't get an interview.
Yeh, it depends on the competition, you'll need straight A's and A*'s to stand a worthwhile chance for a course like medicine, Dentistry and vet, whilst other courses you'll just have to get good AS grades to make up for it.
my bad you actually need at least 31 a+++'s

good luck <3
Reply 17
I got perfect marks in every exam I ever sat and Cambridge still rejected me... You need solid results - but they're no guarantee of a place. I don't think someone with 10 A* has a massive advantage over say 5A*5A
Reply 18
Roundabout
First of all:

Second of all:

:rofl:

OP; It depends what you do. I do know someone that got in with even C's but that doesn't mean they were doing Medicine.
Reply 19
sulpicia
I got perfect marks in every exam I ever sat and Cambridge still rejected me... You need solid results - but they're no guarantee of a place. I don't think someone with 10 A* has a massive advantage over say 5A*5A

jesus christ. which college did you apply to?

Latest

Trending

Trending