The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

It depends what you want. By picking fallowfield I'd guess you want the party halls anyway.

I'd say avoid OP tbh, it's quite full on. Especially the Tower. Oak House is pretty good because it's just as central as OP and has a really good atmosphere, but you can still have time to yourself which kind of lacks in Owen's Park, as a rule.

Sheavyn used to be good (quiet but central) but I've heard less good stuff about it since I was a first year.

Woolton Hall has quite a good rep in that people seem to enjoy living there, from what I've heard anyway.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
PoisonDonna
It depends what you want. By picking fallowfield I'd guess you want the party halls anyway.

I'd say avoid OP tbh, it's quite full on. Especially the Tower. Oak House is pretty good because it's just as central as OP and has a really good atmosphere, but you can still have time to yourself which kind of lacks in Owen's Park, as a rule.

Sheavyn used to be good (quiet but central) but I've heard less good stuff about it since I was a first year.

Woolton Hall has quite a good rep in that people seem to enjoy living there, from what I've heard anyway.

the thing is im not really a crazy party person, i want a place social enough that i can go out and make friends and have a good time, but a place where i can actually "chill" out, so to speak. A delicate balance i want to get right, at first i was considering victoria halls, but if i went there id always have that rotten feeling of "missing" out on the great student experience at fallowfield.

Your advice was absolutely great by the way.

Thankyou
priceless_beauty
the thing is im not really a crazy party person, i want a place social enough that i can go out and make friends and have a good time, but a place where i can actually "chill" out, so to speak. A delicate balance i want to get right, at first i was considering victoria halls, but if i went there id always have that rotten feeling of "missing" out on the great student experience at fallowfield.

Your advice was absolutely great by the way.

Thankyou

Well if you dont want loud I'd definitely go against Owens Park and probably Oak House too then. Anywhere in Fallowfield is pretty much close enough to be able to go out and meet people, but maybe on of the smaller ones if you want to be able to chill out a bit more as well. The majority of them aren't really spread out though so you wont be too far wherever you go :smile:
I stayed in Victoria Park (but not Victoria Halls) in my first year and then got a house in Fallowfield later on. You really wont have trouble meeting anyone in your first year, and Fallowfield is a short walk/bus ride away if you want to go out there. I always found the area and halls to be nicer in Victoria Park than the ones in Fallowfield. Your hall is pretty much what you make of it....I ended up in an all boys hall and still had a great time.
Reply 5
One Man Clique is correct really.
If you want the social scene and yet be able to relax, then Victoria Park really is the place to be.
Otherwise:
Richmond Park
Sheavyn
Woolton

in that order :smile:
Reply 6
TI-84
One Man Clique is correct really.
If you want the social scene and yet be able to relax, then Victoria Park really is the place to be.
Otherwise:
Richmond Park
Sheavyn
Woolton

in that order :smile:

Would you though say that Victoria Park is more sociable generally than the city campus? From what I've heard and read Victoria Park seems very quiet but I guess you just have to find the fun...:smile:
I don't really know about the city campus. I imagine that the closer you get to the city, the more diluted the student scene becomes with 'real people.' Victoria Park is quieter than Fallowfied, but that is because Fallowfield is made up entirely (give or take) of students; Victoria Park is more like a leafy suberb. However, having said that, there is plenty going on within the halls in Victoria Park, and once you get into the student bars dotted about there are many a toga party/drinking contest/pub quiz/party to be found. Whatever hall you get put in, you're going to be around 100 - 800 eighteen year olds away from home for the first time - believe me, parties and friends wont be hard to find.

The truth is no matter what hall you get put into, the real social life is scattered around the city. Whether it is the bars in Fallowfield or the clubs in the city, most halls are fairly central to the action. No matter where you end up, you'll get used to catching the magic bus very quickly (other bus rothes are available, but they suck). The first year is what you make of it - being in Fallowfield doesn't guarantee you a good time or good friends.
Reply 8
Smileytwin
Would you though say that Victoria Park is more sociable generally than the city campus? From what I've heard and read Victoria Park seems very quiet but I guess you just have to find the fun...:smile:

Victoria Park is more sociable than the City! Certainly, on these forums everything is exaggerated to the extreme - while Fallowfeild is more "mental" and the fire alarm goes off more often, Victoria Park is still loads of fun.
Any place where you put a bunch of 18/19 year olds, things are going to get crazy :wink:
Just more so in FF because they have more people!
Reply 9
Oak House (without basin)
Oak House (with basin)
Richmond Park.

Top three!
Reply 10
Oak House is an absolute dive! :p:
Reply 11
OhNO!
Oak House (without basin)
Oak House (with basin)
Richmond Park.

Top three!

lol those are my choices for accomm.
i've picked them well i see, considering that i have never even been to UK :smile:)
Yeah, soz. Oak House isn't the best.
One Man Clique
Yeah, soz. Oak House isn't the best.

why?
Horrible 1970s architecture and infrastructure. It doesn't have the quirk or charm of the older halls nor the comfort and pragmatism of the newer ones.
Reply 15
i think accommo is what u make it

end of

i applied

oak house
richmond
sheavyn

in that order and if oak house is a dive ill deal with it all adds to the experience =]

as a rule though some of my friends at various unis have said avoid catered at all costs
Reply 16
PoisonDonna

What do you mean full on?
Reply 17
If you were to go to victoria park I would steer clear of Pankhurst Court and opt for Hulme, Dalton Ellis or Canterbury. Pankhurst has no real community atmosphere.
Si_G
What do you mean full on?

Well, just a bit, never ending. Always people about, fire alarms going off some nights, busy. Even if you get a decent set of people to live with, the people around you might not be.
Reply 19
PoisonDonna
Well, just a bit, never ending. Always people about, fire alarms going off some nights, busy. Even if you get a decent set of people to live with, the people around you might not be.

What's all this about the fire alarms? I keep hearing about it? Do you have to come out if one goes off?

Latest

Trending

Trending