The Student Room Group

Insightful quotes/poems/statements

Just thought that its always nice when you read a nice quote somewhere, why not get a collection up on here?

Here's mine:

These violet delights have violent ends.
And in their triumph die, like fire and powder.
Which, as they kiss, consume.

- Romeo and Juliet

Any others people would like to share? Lets get a good collection going!
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree :
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man

Not exactly insightful, but a nice beginning to a poem nontheless, imo anyway >_>
Reply 2
This one isn't really nice, but it's good for self wallowing, unrequited love etc. I don't apply it to myself anymore, but I still think it's quite powerful.

Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor, so that nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life...You give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love.
Reply 3
Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - yoda.
You may laugh, but i think its quite profound! =D
Reply 4
I find google quotes are rather cool... But i also like searching for romantic comments :O but then i like things that are rather serious aswell lol this one is one of my favs:-
I do not want people to be agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them.
Jane Austen (1775 - 1817)
Reply 5
The stars are constantly shining, but often we do not see them until the dark hours.
Oooooo I have met many in my lifetime, but I'll give you some that have popped into recent convos....

You have to put up with the rain if you want the rainbow.

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.

Aim for the moon, because if you miss you will still land in the stars.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind- Gandhi

I'm a bit frustrated that I can't think of any more at the mo, as I know that I've got loads more lol. If I remember any I'll come back!!
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

In Memoriam, Tennyson.

:bubbles:
Reply 8
"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face— forever."
Good thread!

I have soo many favourite quotes I have a word document with them all in.

Some of my ultimate favs:

A photo says, You were happy and I wanted to catch that. A photo says, You were so important to me that I put down everything else to come watch - 'My Sister's Keeper' by Jodi Picoult.

I don't want to live. I want to love first, and live incidentally - Zelda Fitzgerald.

It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer - Albert Einstein.

Oh, there are so many lives. How we wish we could live them concurrently instead of one by one by one. We could select the best pieces of each, stringing them together like a strand of pearls. But that’s not how it works. A human’s life is a beautiful mess - ‘Elsewhere’ by Gabrielle Zevin.

procrastination is the
art of keeping
up with yesterday.
- Don Marquis

There are some days I practice positive thinking, and other days I’m not positive I am thinking - John M. Eades.

The little unremembered acts of kindness and love are the best parts of a person’s life - William Wordsworth.

Sorry if I got a bit carried away! Didn't mean to put so many!

:smile:
'and tonight the sun will set,
but it will rise again tomorrow,
forget what is yesterday,
for the growing sun will rise.'
chipskylark

Where's that from?
Reply 12
Flavity
Also, the one in my sig aha.

Roald Dahl isn't it? :smile:

Hard work pays off later, laziness pays off now - not that we should abide by this :p:
Grabbed the first few from my quote file:

"It is not by wearing down into uniformity all that is individual in themselves, but by cultivating it and calling it forth, within the limits imposed by the rights and interests of others, that human beings become a noble and beautiful object of contemplation..." J. S. Mill

"Quit your complaining. It’s not the world’s fault that you wanted to be an artist. It’s not the world’s job to enjoy the films you make, and it’s certainly not the world’s obligation to pay for your dreams. Nobody wants to hear it. Steal a camera if you have to, but stop whining and get back to work." Werner Herzog.

"Well, this year I'm told the team did well because one pitcher had a fine curve ball. I understand that a curve ball is thrown with a deliberate attempt to deceive. Surely this is not an ability we should want to foster at Harvard." Charles William Eliot.

"...I even went so far as to quote Kant at table, to my father's dismay." Francoise Sagan
EnglishLover1
Where's that from?

a poem i wrote for my english class a while back :p:
stuck in my mind ever since though.
Goblin Market by Christina Rosetti.
Very clever and thoughtful.
chipskylark

I like it!
Very lyrical and sensitive :smile:
chipskylark
a poem i wrote for my english class a while back :p:
stuck in my mind ever since though.

Oh wow, that's cool :smile: I've tried writing poetry but it's cringe-making, so I gave up!
Reply 18
a poet is a nightingale who sits in darkeness and sings to cheer its own solitude with sweet sounds.

Shelly
Reply 19
To name a few...

- "If all else perished and he remained, I shall still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the Universe would turn to a mighty stranger"

-" Our core is madness. The prime directive is murder. What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous mother-fckers in the jungle"

- "When a man sees a naked woman, he becomes dumbstruck, when a woman sees a naked man she usually bursts into laughter"

and lastly
-"If your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending