The Student Room Group

urgent enquiry....plz help sumone!!!

ok here's the situation:

I did my first module of AS chem in Jan and got a C. So i've decided to repeat this module this summer and do my other chem modules too...
However, my teacher has told me that I shouldnt my first module again and just focus on my 2nd module.

But i'm worried because when i apply for med in oct I'll probably have a bad grade for chem because of my C in my first module...so i think it wont look good on my form...since they require an A.

My teacher was saying sumthing about just doing the 2nd chem module and cashing in the grade for my first module or sumthing.. :confused:
What does cashing in mean and what does this system involve??

Is it possible just to write the marks for my 2nd 3rd chem modules on my UCas form and say i havent done the first module yet..or would that be bad??

If u dont cash in a subject then what happens???
plss someone help!
I really dont understand the system!!
Reply 1
In AS there are three modules and coursework which 'make' your garde. If you do really well in the summer and have done well in the coursework there is still a posibility that you may get an A, as long as you got a high C. If you got a low C there is still a chance but you will have to do really really well in the summer.
It also depends how what the percentage of this module out of the whole year is.
Just remember that even if you get a B at AS there is a very good chance of universities accepting you as long as your predicted grades are good.
I got a C in Maths AS in Year 12, so I decided to retake all the modules in January of Year 13. As I had not cashed in the grade, I did not have to write my grade C on my UCAS form when I applied for Vet Med and (because my predicted grades were AAA) got three offers without them ever knowing that I didn't do well in AS maths the first time! I think predicted grades are more important.
Reply 3
Similar to the post by Vet In Progress, I didnt do well in my first maths modules (got an E!) But didnt put it on my ucas form (just put predicted grades) and then resat it and got an A!! I didnt get any interviews :frown: but I rang all the vet schools up and they were happy with my grades, I just hadnt done enough large animal work. I wouldnt say put your 2nd and 3rd grades on. Just put that your doing chem. If they ask why you can say that you didnt feel your grades refected your ability. I know I want to do vet and not med, but the application is similar.
Reply 4
Heya, I'm going to do medicine too :smile: I applied to Peninsula, Liverpool, Manchester and Leicester. I didn't do too well in my AS so I didn't put down my AS grades. I didn't even get an interview at Manchester!! I've never known why this was, they said that I "didn't have the skills they wanted" or something to that effect and weren't very helpful at all. I got interviews from the other 3 but only got an offer from Liverpool. I think that I got automatically rejected from Manchester because I didn't put down any AS grades. This may occur at some of the more popular/traditional universities as competition is high and it might be a way to narrow down the list for interview. I have no proof for this apart from my own experience.

However, I would take your teachers advice as they do know best even though you might think it's better to resit it all. Just concentrate on your 2 modules in the Summer, I wish I'd done this and I might have improved my grades!! Best of luck anyway. Oh btw - I don't know if you've found this out but you should apply to Southampton as they rarely interview people for medicine. (I wish I had applied there, but by the time I'd found this out it was too late).
Reply 5
But just so you know grades are NOT the be all and end all. I mean, if your grades are not perfect then it's not the end of the world. You'll just have to work extra hard in your other modules and try to think of an explanation why you might not have done so well first time around. If you're good enough then they'll see this at interview anyway.

Just to put your mind at rest, one of the guys in my year was predicted 4 A's at A Level (and that's exactly what he got) but he was rejected from all 4 Vet schools. This was for Vetinary medicine so it might be slightly different but I just wanted to illustrate my point.
Reply 6
you don't have to put your as grades on your form... just get whoever writes your reference to put on your predicted final grades... you can resit your module next year...

Latest

Trending

Trending