The Student Room Group

Classics & 'joint schools'

Hi,
I'm a friend of peliot.
I want to study classics, but perhaps with Sanskrit or a modern language or Englsih. Or maybe straight MFL.
I'm confused and a bit scared! I'm fairly confident that I'll get As at A-level (Latin, French, Spanish, English, Hist) but ...
(1) I don't have an ethnic background that would give me an 'edge' in Sanskrit
(2) I don't have Greek for straight Classics (though my school offers it)
(3) My two languages are very popular ones, I'm sure, so competition for places in straight MFL must be HUGE!

Can you give me any advice. My school shares a careers teacher with another school and I can't get anything sensible from my teachers. They're only interested in scientists and med applicants!
Should I apply to Oxford or Cambridge if I want to combine subjects?
Where are my chances best given that I could happily study any of the above, but I LOVE Latin as a language.

tom
Reply 1
I know this is really late, but I was in the same position as you not being able to decide which joint course to study! I've noe got an offer for Classics and German at New College, though I, like you, thought that I might not be as desirable as I didn't have an A-Level in Ancient Greek (just GCSE.) A word of warning, however: If you do the 5 year course, as I've chosen to do, then they could well make you (as they're making me) do BOTH Classics Mods in the 5th term, AND German Prelims in the 6th term - harsh pies!!

By doing five A-Levels (I did quite similar ones - English Lit, Maths, German, Latin, Economics, and AS-French and AS-Further Maths) I reckon they'll know you can cope with the outrageous work load!

My school did stop offering Greek when I had finished my GCSE, but I've just kept it ticking over and done AS translation with my A2s. I reckon Oxford will understand that you dropped/didn't choose Greek at an early age and now, sadly (whimper a bit as you explain to the Oxford tutors at this point), you haven't been able to join a Greek course. Just go to Bryanston, the fantastic Greek camp in an inbred town in Dorset (what more could you want!), to show them you now want to love Greek!

Do my course, the five year mission, if you want a variety of stuff to do - Classics Mods cover EVERYTHING!! - and you get to do the Modern Language as well. It's just LOOOONNNGG.....
Reply 2
bigjcoool
I know this is really late, but I was in the same position as you not being able to decide which joint course to study! I've noe got an offer for Classics and German at New College, though I, like you, thought that I might not be as desirable as I didn't have an A-Level in Ancient Greek (just GCSE.) A word of warning, however: If you do the 5 year course, as I've chosen to do, then they could well make you (as they're making me) do BOTH Classics Mods in the 5th term, AND German Prelims in the 6th term - harsh pies!!

By doing five A-Levels (I did quite similar ones - English Lit, Maths, German, Latin, Economics, and AS-French and AS-Further Maths) I reckon they'll know you can cope with the outrageous work load!

My school did stop offering Greek when I had finished my GCSE, but I've just kept it ticking over and done AS translation with my A2s. I reckon Oxford will understand that you dropped/didn't choose Greek at an early age and now, sadly (whimper a bit as you explain to the Oxford tutors at this point), you haven't been able to join a Greek course. Just go to Bryanston, the fantastic Greek camp in an inbred town in Dorset (what more could you want!), to show them you now want to love Greek!

Do my course, the five year mission, if you want a variety of stuff to do - Classics Mods cover EVERYTHING!! - and you get to do the Modern Language as well. It's just LOOOONNNGG.....

thank you thank you thank you! that was great!
i've kinda settled on classics & French

Latest

Trending

Trending