The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
me!! i m not doing FM and i hv put UCL as my firm!
i know quite a few other ppl who has put UCL as their firm(same course) as well. but some of them r doing FM
r u gonna take the bridging course?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
I've put UCL as my firm for maths with econ, I really hope I get the grades! I'm from France so no further Maths, but I had a look at some maths that the admissions advisor gave me and I've seen most of it so it should be ok :smile: and yes, if I can I shall be doing the bridging course!
Reply 3
Are you doing the three year course or the MMath?
Reply 4
I havent done further maths either.....
i think ill be taking the bridging course.. - do you have to apply for it? now?
are there any more maths with economics ppl??? i applied for the MSCi..
Take care
abbey
Reply 5
I would think we should apply for the bridging course once we have our grades?
Reply 6
do you guys have an idea what you want to do after your degree?
Reply 7
I'm not sure. but im hoping for something in relation to maths.
At the moment ive been thinking about banking, actuarial stuff and going into the government sector.
But im really not sure...
how about u matthieum??
Reply 8
I'd be quite interested in going into investment banking :cool:
Reply 9
how do you apply for bridging course?
Reply 10
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/Mathematics/undergradadm/Bridging.html

I would think you apply after your results, that they would send info
Reply 11
I've got an offer for L100 (Economics). AAA
Reply 12
matthieum
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/Mathematics/undergradadm/Bridging.html

I would think you apply after your results, that they would send info

thanks for the info
Reply 13
Does anyone know how the economic modules are? Is it essay based or maths sort of economics??
Reply 15
At my interview, the professer did mention that the economics part of the course was very AS like. So I would say that there would hardly any maths in the course.
BUT, seeing as this is a maths with economics degree, I think that the maths we learn will be linked to real world economics - application of maths?!?
Overall I think the course will be more essay type than maths....which im sure u will be fine at!
Reply 16
is it possible to change from a mathematics course to a maths and eco course once iv got my place confirmed?
Reply 17
I don't think the maths that we will do will be specificly linked to economics, perhaps in the later years can we take options linked to mathematical economics! :wink:
Reply 18
If I remember correctly, you could change from most course except the maths with econ as it was over subscribed and the couldn't go over a certain number of places because of the econ department.
Reply 19
matthieum
Does anyone know how the economic modules are? Is it essay based or maths sort of economics??

In Micro econ u'll have to differentiate the production, cost and utility functions. Whereas in Macro u ll just need to rearrange the equation to find unknowns and plug the numbers in. It's very simple maths.
BO1 that u ll do in the first yeah is very similar to A-level econ, macro more than micro. But u ll be looking at the AS and AD modules from a different angle, how u derive them and stuff .Having done A-level econ I was kinda getting confused at first because I was relying on my knowledge from A-level stuff.
Anyway, in the exam paper u ll get a set of questions, some maths related and others essey style but there wont be many maths questions though.

BTW I did the maths bridging course last year and thought it was very useful. Met a lot of ppl and was good to refresh the A-level maths and further maths.
It was good fun. I'm not sure who u gonna have this year, but last year we had Pr. Bishop, he was great!
I've applied for the maths bridging course before i got my results and they sent me all the info and the confirmation after I ve got my results.
Good luck to all of u, coming to UCL. U gonna have a wicked time!

Latest

Trending

Trending