The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

any ideas of mark boundaries anyone? I think it should be like 32 ish?
UsernameStealer
Was reliability where she was shaking a torch? I put the tests weren't repeated and she would have used different force when shaking each time..

The safer, I think i put more transformers and build new lines away from people, wasn't sure on that one :confused:

I was going to put that but then I thought that even if the people move away, they still need power, so the lines are still going to come near them to provide the electricity?

Sat there for like, 5 mins just going "hmm..." XD
Reply 22
juskiddinschloss
I found it pretty easy. what was the answer to:

Power station uses ............................. and Power lines uses ........................... .
(1 mark)
Any ideas any one?

wasnt that one about step up and step down transformers?

though the exam was ok some weird questions
wat did u guys get for the shaking of the torch one?
i got ECBDA
Reply 23
UsernameStealer
Was reliability where she was shaking a torch? I put the tests weren't repeated and she would have used different force when shaking each time..

The safer, I think i put more transformers and build new lines away from people, wasn't sure on that one :confused:

yeh, i put the same as you apart from i put that they didn't count how many times its was shook because they had only counted how long they shook it for.
Reply 24
hilly22

i got ECBDA

yep :biggrin:
hilly22

i got ECBDA

Well for that i wrote:
1. she did not repeat any of the tests.
2. She did mention any instruments that she used to time herself. It is not mentioned (possibly she could've done it orally)
3. Just to be on the really safe side i wrote she did not compare results with anyone else?
hilly22

i got ECBDA

Yes, I got the same on both counts.
Reply 27
I put the tests had no mentioned conrtols (I know I probs got that wrong), she didn't repeat her tests.

Only part of the ultrasonic wave is reflected by the way so some of it was refracted along. Sound waves can refract and reflect!

Glad there were no ray diagrams but I spent quite a while revising those :frown: not that i'd get the questions right anyway.

What of the generator questions. What were the split rings and brushes for. I probably got the answers mixed up with motor questions
Reply 28
chipchop92
ultrasound would be refracted if it not reflected and would produce an electromagnetic spectrum

lol fail.
Reply 29
Punch
What was the answer to the question asking why 'y is directly proportional to x' was wrong?

I got full marks in P2 and I thought P3 was a really bad test, so I can't relate with people saying it was easy :frown:

You just got a value on left hand side and the y value for that,then got double your first value and showed that the corresponding y value wasnt double the first y value so they dont increase at same rate.
Reply 30
TheMeister
Yes, I got the same on both counts.

I can't remember the letters, but were the magnetic fields cut first, or did the magnet go to and fro first?
Punch
What was the answer to the question asking why 'y is directly proportional to x' was wrong?

I got full marks in P2 and I thought P3 was a really bad test, so I can't relate with people saying it was easy :frown:

Because if you doubled the value for y you didn't get double the value for v, so it wasn't direct proportion.

MayhemAM
I thought it was more transformers as well, but most people disagree. Surely building new homes away from the power lines wont REDUCE the risk, as there will be the same risk to residents who are near already. With more transformers you can increase or decrease the danger (the voltage?) in high residential areas.

Hmm, I thought that as well at first but then I couldn't two which would reduce the risk, so I ticked 'build new homes away from power lines' and 'build new power lines away from homes' or whatever it was. I didn't think about the transformers thing, that's clever :yes:

Surely that was more of a critical thinking question than physics, anyway? Mind you, this is AQA, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised :rolleyes:
Reply 32
kirky743
You just got a value on left hand side and the y value for that,then got double your first value and showed that the corresponding y value wasnt double the first y value so they dont increase at same rate.

it said using the table, so you HAD to put figures in there, ie from 10-20 it went up 6, but from 50-60 it went up 4
or sometihng like that, but you needed to use some examples
Reply 33
Punch

The first values in the table were 30 and 19.
The second ones were 40 and 25.

30/19 = 1.58
40/25 = 1.6

They're not equal, so they aren't directly proportional.

I got full marks in P2 aswell, but I thought this one was rather easy! :yep:
Reply 34
jack1865
it said using the table, so you HAD to put figures in there, ie from 10-20 it went up 6, but from 50-60 it went up 4
or sometihng like that, but you needed to use some examples

yeah did that with 30 and 60 me thinks
I think it was probably the best I have done in an exam all GCSE...except for Spanish Reading and Writing.

I really really need over 96 UMS to get an A* overall... I really hope I get it and I HOPE I have a chance... I think it went well yeah.

Could someone tell me what I need for thus paper for an A* and thus tell me what 34/40 on the ISA is worth.

So far I have:

Unit 1 - 86
Unit 2 - 88
ISA - 34

In return I am willing to give my good answers to anyone which I am confident on. :smile:
Reply 36
kirky743

Meridian_Star
Because if you doubled the value for y you didn't get double the value for v, so it wasn't direct proportion.

RYANDENNY
The first values in the table were 30 and 19.
The second ones were 40 and 25.

30/19 = 1.58
40/25 = 1.6

They're not equal, so they aren't directly proportional.

I got full marks in P2 aswell, but I thought this one was rather easy! :yep:

Okay thanks guys. I said that the ratios weren't the same, so hopefully I'll scrape a mark there. I thought the term directly proportional could be applied to anything where a rise in one thing makes the other rise, regardless of the rate of the rise.
hilly22

i got ECBDA

I got E ? ? D A, but I don't know what order I put the B and C in. Do you remember which of B and C was the "magnetic field cuts across the coil" and which was "magnet moves in and out of the coil"?

I have a feeling I might have put B then C though >___< Maybe i'll get one mark for getting the D and A in the right order?

x
Reply 38
Original post by &#9834
I got E ? ? D A, but I don't know what order I put the B and C in. Do you remember which of B and C was the "magnetic field cuts across the coil" and which was "magnet moves in and out of the coil"?

I have a feeling I might have put B then C though >___< Maybe i'll get one mark for getting the D and A in the right order?

x

C was 'magnet moves in and out of the coil'
B was 'magnetic field cuts across the coil'

I got ECBDA :yep:

Edit: I mixed the letters up -.-
jack1865
it said using the table, so you HAD to put figures in there

Do you think I would still get the marks as I wrote the differences between results on the table, and then said "refer to the table" in my answer?

I didn't really think about adding figures into the answer, but had already written that on the table to work out the answer that "the rate that the results go up are not the same" or something along those lines. I only tacked the other bit on the end when I was quickly checking through at the very end of the exam, but I didn't have any time to add anything else to it XD

whoops :P

Also, the fill in the gaps question about transformers: was it step up tranformers, and then step down transformers.

Also, anyone remember what the answers were for the one about the stars? 0___0

In a way i'm glad that the lenses and mirrors ray diagrams didn't come up, because i'm not very good at them, but I sort of feel cheated since I spent ages revising them last night :P

Hopefully it went well anyway, and i'm sure everyone did great (:

Latest