The Student Room Group

Ec?

Hi
I am wanting to do vet med at uni BUT i do absoloutely no EC!
I know I probably should but I dont like sports, dont play an instrument/dont want to! What else is there for me to do!?

I do attend a church on a regular basis though and help out and stuff- would i need to become a member to make this count?

Please help I dont want anything to hurt my chances of vet med :biggrin:

Just because someone plays a violin to a high standard or is a member of a swimming team does not mean that they are going to make an amazing Vet, or will be better than someone who hasn't done either of these things, and universities know and accept this fact.

For something so competitive such as Vet Med you need to be focusing on building up work experience and developing your interest and passion for the course. This is the thing which needs to come across in your PS, not how many hours a week you spend playing the trumpet or whatever. The most important thing in a PS is showing how and why you would make a good Vet, and there are many ways in which you can do this. Obviously a Vet also needs to be a well rounded individual and yes, things you do outside of the classroom do come into play here, but they are certainly not the focus of your application. Your services to the Church community would be a good thing to write about here as they are people orientated and show you as a helpful, sensitive individual which I would rather see as a quality in a Vet I took my dog to when it was ill than whether the Vet was able to score 5 goals in a football match. Whether you are a member of the Church or not is arbitary, it is what you do there which counts and it sounds like you do a lot there which is great.

Are there any other things going on within the Church you might be able to take part in? Such as helping at Brownie/Cubs meetings, or paying visits to members who aren't able to get to Church any more due to illness?
Reply 2
If you help out at church, stick that down.

If push comes to shove you could say you're an 'avid internet user'.
Reply 3
oxymoronic

Are there any other things going on within the Church you might be able to take part in? Such as helping at Brownie/Cubs meetings, or paying visits to members who aren't able to get to Church any more due to illness?

Hi
Well I do the data projector on sundays and I help out at the youth club on friday nights :smile: Thanks for all your help :biggrin:
Unfortunately it does help a great deal because it shows you're not just studying and grades, kind of makes you more of an "all rounder". However you will have something you can play on, I'm sure. Use the helping out at church thing, if you help out anywhere in the community then it's a plus. This is more important than the fact that you regularly attend one, in fact. I've helped out on church youth group trips and such, but don't actually go to church (atheist), and I still put this on my PS as it's the more vital part. Actually being a part of the congregation doesn't really matter or not, compared to the helping out part cos the church is at the end of the day part of the community, and community helper = good to put on ps

I dont play any sports and I never really have (except me and my dad have done alot of golf/archery LOL but thats not really team business now is it) so I didnt put any sports on my PS. I do however regularly attend a gym, so there's a commitment in a sociable environment in itself.

Play on your strengths
Reply 5
Volunteer at oxfam or something?
It is good to have some sport/musical ec though as it shows you are more of a rounded person.
You could even take up a sport as a hobby, nothing too serious, i.e go swimming once a week?

Latest

Trending

Trending