The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Some people told you? :lolwut:

What is the credibility of these people?
ivesives
It's time to pick one of my offers to accept.

My favourite course is MA Management offered by Durham Uni

However, quite a few people told me that their business sucks.....

Could anybody here advise my concern?

Who are these people and why should they know? Do they have any authority or great knowledge?

Like York and UCL, they are one of the "top" universities who don't have the strongest business programmes.

However, their postgrad business programmes ,based at Durham and not Queens Campus, are rather strong. Although still possibly not one of its major strengths, its a good business school (and one of the first in the country, I believe), not quite the standard of the very top three or four like Warwick but not too far behind.

Their MBA programme ranks 20th in the world for career progression and 6th in the UK :awesome: :laugh: their wesbite really does sound like an advertisement. I like it how they include the Times and Independent ranking but not the Guardian!

Anyway, Durham do have some strong postgrad programmes. I don't think your friends really know what they're talking about.
Reply 3
So ia Durham's MA Management Program Okay?

I am struggling between Exeter, Aston, York and Durham...
Reply 4
By the way, one of my concerns is whether the master degree can polish my future career path in UK.

I plan to work in the accounting field in UK after my graduation... (I am an ACA and worked in Grant Thornton for 4 years before). As a result, this would be the most important to me.
ivesives

It's more than OK. It's very good indeed. I'd chose Durham over all of others, personally. Aston are probably stronger at undergraduate level but I'd chose Durham at postgrad personally. Is there anything you find particualrly attractive about the others?

Also, Durham has a deceptively good international reputation/representation. It's a small city and small university so, although it's considered to be one of the UK's strongest universities domestically, not many have heard it abroad. But being one of the country's top universities (and a decent business school, with a significant number of international students) then they'll produce some of the strongest graduates and these help get the Durham name "out there" and many of the world's top multi-national corportations have Durham graduates in senior positions. Durham has more CEOs and MDs of the world's top 500 companies than any other university outside Oxford and Cambridge. I think it tanks about 72 in the world, or around that mark, which puts it alongside the University of London (so that's UCL, LSE, KCL etc. all combined).

If you're staying in the UK then I don't think you certainly won't have any problems with a Durham degree providing you have the academic background, qualities and work experience to match (which you probably do). In accounting then Durham, Exeter and York at the very least will all be fine. Exeter and York are still well targeted and good universities.
Reply 6
Thanks for your advise.

You sound very knowledgeable about Durham. What course are you studying?
Reply 7
ivesives

Aston has a great business school. Durham isn't well represented in the city in areas outside of Law.
ElemenT'
Aston has a great business school. Durham isn't well represented in the city in areas outside of Law.

Aston does have a great business school and I was maybe being a little unfair on their postgrad programmes. Aston is stronger than Durham at undergrad; Durham can more that match Aston at postgrad.

Again, ElemenT', as I've said many times this is really down to demand (and that law is a more traditional area/destination for Durham grads) and, most importantly, the simple fact that it's a smaller university and, as a result, it doesn't produce as many graduates every year compared to a Warwick, UCL or Nottingham. So it's not suprising to find they don't have great numbers in the city. But those who do enter still find themselves in good positions and some Durham graduates have gone right to the top (ie. MDs of investment banks). It's still a "respected" and well targeted university and produces quality graduates.

But would you say Aston, Exeter or York are more represtented?

Besides, the OP is referring to accountancy rather than IB and I don't really think it's quite as competitive.

ivesives
Thanks for your advise.

You sound very knowledgeable about Durham. What course are you studying?

Philosophy and Politics, for about five years now :p:
Reply 9
I guess all offer similar opportunities.
Reply 10
Garden_Gnome
Aston does have a great business school and I was maybe being a little unfair on their postgrad programmes. Aston is stronger than Durham at undergrad; Durham can more that match Aston at postgrad.

Again, ElemenT', as I've said many times this is really down to demand (and that law is a more traditional area/destination for Durham grads) and, most importantly, the simple fact that it's a smaller university and, as a result, it doesn't produce as many graduates every year compared to a Warwick, UCL or Nottingham. So it's not suprising to find they don't have great numbers in the city. But those who do enter still find themselves in good positions and some Durham graduates have gone right to the top (ie. MDs of investment banks). It's still a "respected" and well targeted university and produces quality graduates.

But would you say Aston, Exeter or York are more represtented?

Besides, the OP is referring to accountancy rather than IB and I don't really think it's quite as competitive.

Philosophy and Politics, for about five years now :p:

No wonder you sound so familiar to the School...
Reply 11
I had almost the same offers as you
(Aston,Exeter,Strathclyde) but I accepted Durham's offer..I hope I made the right decision :wink:

So , in my opinion you must prefer Durham
Reply 12
greek
I had almost the same offers as you
(Aston,Exeter,Strathclyde) but I accepted Durham's offer..I hope I made the right decision :wink:

So , in my opinion you must prefer Durham

Good! Which college were you assigned to?
Reply 13
Ustinov.I'm not sure about accommodation yet.I'm in a dilemma between college and private accommodation..What about you?
Reply 14
If it makes any difference, the actual business school is really really pretty.
Reply 15
greek
Ustinov.I'm not sure about accommodation yet.I'm in a dilemma between college and private accommodation..What about you?

I've paid deposit already..... Just join me and have some fun!

By the way, do you have msn?
Reply 16
Well, is there anyone who will be doing the same course?
Is it possible to find some part time accountancy work in Durham??
Reply 17
Sorry man , I have to say as far as Bus schools go DBS kind of sucks .

In fact DU as a whole is a university on the way down .

It used to be very well regarded 20-25 years ago but not now.

For IBanking and Financial careers in general , I would say it is not only not well regard but looked on as sort of irrelevant and too northern coal mining oriented.

Look at their staff and you will see what I mean.

My view = best bus schools in UK are :

LBS
CASS
Warwick
Oxford
MBS
Cambridge

Bus Schools are relatively new in UK and have not been taken seriously until very recently hence why the dearth of really well recognised schools like in the US.
Reply 18
Txi
Sorry man , I have to say as far as Bus schools go DBS kind of sucks .

In fact DU as a whole is a university on the way down .

It used to be very well regarded 20-25 years ago but not now.

For IBanking and Financial careers in general , I would say it is not only not well regard but looked on as sort of irrelevant and too northern coal mining oriented.

Look at their staff and you will see what I mean.

My view = best bus schools in UK are :

lolwut.
Also, Durham's a very good university in a number of areas, tbh.

Edit: Look at all this crazy mining:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/dbs/faculty/recent/
Oh, wait hang on...
Reply 19
We are talking biz schools here and for that it's pretty crap. Face it move on.

Latest

Trending

Trending