Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

horrible screeching noise from laptop

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness in in to the final 16! The group winners battle it out for the overall title! 15-07-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just a second ago my laptop made this horrible screeching noise for about a second or two. It sounded like nails on a blackboard or something. It is still working fine. What the hell was it? I have never heard that noise before on any computer...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biffyclyro27)
    Hey, just a second ago my laptop made this horrible screeching noise for about a second or two. It sounded like nails on a blackboard or something. It is still working fine. What the hell was it? I have never heard that noise before on any computer...
    you got a disc in the drive?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    nope. I did some searching on the net, and apprently this noise could mean that my hard drive is going to fail soon
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yeah was equally gonna say sounds like a hard drive *******, if its been on for a while let your laptop cool down.. if its not that then yes, something isnt quite right internally
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Look here, and play the sound file at the bottom....if it sounds like that, it's probably the hard drive.
    btw how old is your laptop? have you mistreated it in any way? (dropped it, etc.?)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mig213)
    Look here, and play the sound file at the bottom....if it sounds like that, it's probably the hard drive.
    btw how old is your laptop? have you mistreated it in any way? (dropped it, etc.?)
    no, it didnt sound anything like that, it was just a single high pitched screech. It also emmited a high pitched beep and froze earlier aswell. That was before the screecing though.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mine does that when it's overheating. I just turn it off for a couple of hours, then go back to it later. It will be fine
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    has anybody thought about asking what laptop the OP has?

OP, what laptop is it?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    has anybody thought about asking what laptop the OP has?

OP, what laptop is it?
    it's a hp530
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    where your speakers on?
    it could have been something on that...
    or, did you have a mobile phone near by, that could have interfered
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your computer has only three parts that make screeching noises when bust, the fan, the disk drive and the hard drive. You say it doesn't sound like the HD, and I assume you've not got a disk in the CD drive so if it had a grinding quality to it it's probably your fan unit.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    where your speakers on?
    it could have been something on that...
    or, did you have a mobile phone near by, that could have interfered

I had the speakers on, but it didn't sound like that. It was definitely a computer part.

I don't think it was the fan unit, because it sounded as if it came from the centre of the laptop and the fan is right on the side. I didn't have a disc in the drive. I recon it was probably the hard drive, but it wasn't the click of death. So it is probably beginning to die but not quite there yet. I'l make some backups anyway...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    transformers mate

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 3, 2010
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.