The Student Room Group

Bhs Store Card 'Pushing'

Hi,

I did search for a Bhs thread, but couldn't find one, so excuse me if this has been mentioned before.

Basically, a close friend of mine has worked at Bhs for almost a year now, and is basically being taken for a ride.

Yesterday, she went home crying, because her manager gave her a right grilling in front of other staff about how she wasn't 'selling' enough Store Cards/Credit Cards. And it was either get three sold in a week, or find another job.

I find this attitude personally disgusting! Before anyone says; 'If she can't do her job - leave', then this isn't the case, as she's only contracted to replenish.

It's also rather worrying, that she's really thick skinned (or used to be) and would never get upset. Now she regularly looks down and upset, and mainly the reason for this (or so she says) is that she 'just had to hard sell a credit card to someone who couldn't afford it - but if I didn't I wouldn't be able to afford anything'.

So I was wondering does anyone else have such silly targets at Bhs like this? And also, isn't there an age limit to selling credit facilities? As she's only 17 :O

When you mean grilling - did her manager shout at her or was unprofessional?
If so, I would seriously consider putting in a grievance. I've been shouted at before by a supervisor in front of staff and customers, and looking back I almost wish I'd put in a grievance, but tbh she was such a manipulative bitch that it wouldn't have been worth it.

If I were your chum, I'd have a look at her contract, see exactly what it involves, and consider putting in a complaint about the manager. I would also start looking for another job, just in case.
its what sales is all about im afraid especially in the current economy.
Although managers shouldnt shout at people thats completely unprofessional and wrong.
Reply 3
If she's actually processing the credit agreements and things then i'm pretty sure that's illegal, that's what I was told in my last job and they were quite strict about that. She's allowed to inform about it as an option but i'm 99.9% sure someone over 18 and store-trained in the credit facility on offer has to explain the T&Cs and get the customer to sign on the dotted line. Some stores let under 18s do it if an adult is present and supervising them doing it.
She should take a look at her contract.
It will be unlikely that it will say in her job description that she is to sell these, in which case she can't get the sack for not doing so. However, if she has signed to say that she will, then she hasn't really got a choice.
Reply 5
Yep. Matalan have gotten stupid with their targets. I didn't mind asking evey customer whether they have/want a Matalan card. Asking for emails was a bit of a push. But now we have "add on sales" that we have to write down in a little book every time we sell something. This week its £2 vest tops and you have to stand there and ask every customer something stupid like "Would you be interested in buying a vest top for the summer?" NO, DAMMIT, IF I WANTED A VEST TOP I WOULD'VE ASKED FOR ONE I WOULDN'T HAVE JUST WAITED UNTIL YOU PROMPTED ME!
Also we have to memorise the store's daily target, then our departmental target, then our hourly departmental target just in case the boss of Matalan decides to descend on us which according to my manager he will be doing any day now for the past two years.
It really annoys me. I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR STUPID TARGETS. I just want to go to work, give good customer servcie, earn my money, go home. It's just a ****** part time job for god sakes...I'm so close to quitting but I need the money.
Thanks for all your replies :smile: Some good points raised, as to whether it was simply unprofesssional or verbally bullying?

afaik, it (or she felt) was full on verbally bullying, as in singling her out, but then I'm begining to wonder about the other colleagues? I guess they exceeded the target!?

I'm pretty certain she actions the agreements on the computer as she has mentioned it to me before how easy it is.

I totally appreciate that companies have sales targets etc, but surely the targets should only apply to those who can actively enforce them? I mean, how can she be promoting these store cards, if she only works on the replenishment side? Managers (or hers) can't seriously expect her to replenish and then at the same time push the cards?

I could understand if she was on the checkouts and could hint and nudge towards the card, but I don't see how she can do that on her department?

I guess at the minute, businessess can do what they want, set any targets etc, because at the end of the day, if she quits - someone will fill her space before she'll even have time to empty her locker :frown:
Reply 7
when i was working this happened to me.
i used to have to try and sell a store card to every single person i served, i didnt meet the target and got a warning.
in the end i got extra training but i later quit because of the pressure to make people have the cards

Latest

Trending

Trending