The Student Room Group

How Much Work Are You Doing In School Atm?

So, for those of us who have just finished SGs/Int 2s/Highers, and are returning to school for the next few weeks, how do you find it so far? Have you started your subjects for next year? Do you find you're working pretty hard and really starting on the higher/AH work, or is it more just a laid back few weeks?

I'm going into fifth year and moved school after exams (started last week, just after study leave finished, for these few weeks before summer to settle in and stuff). I'm actually still following a fourth year timetable (8 proper subjects, some of which I've never even done at SG, or in the case of German, at all! I didn't get an actual timetable so am just following my friends for now). Is this the usual thing? At my old school everyone moves up and gets their new timetable for these few weeks.

This way involves three subjects of basically doing nothing - well, getting made to do pointless projects if you aren't taking the subject! Those who are continuing it for higher have, for the most part, started working, although I personally don't think we're working that hard. Maths and physics seem to be doing the first topic before the holidays, the rest are sort of meandering through revision questions really... How does it go for everyone else? And how are you enjoying it so far?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We've started, English is meh, we're doing close reading and PSU, Chem (which I may be dropping) we've started, and I can't keep up apparently. Human Bio is quite good, but we haven't really done much work in MS or History. Still got a lot of homework though, and now five highers seems like a bad idea. I'll possibly drop Chem for Computing, and maybe even drop down into Int 2 for English lol.
I've started the 5 highers I'm doing.
English: Thrown in deep-end a little bit, toldto read and have notes on a novel by the end of June and have basicually been toldthat 60% of us will fail :frown:
Maths: Straight line stuff mostly. Learned a few new equations and thing. Been really tired this week so I keep making stupid arithmetic mistakes :frown:
Physics: Just uncertainties which is really easy.
Chemistry: Reaction Rates which is also quite easy.
Computing: Was a bit confused the first day when he basically told us the whole of a 6hour section in 40 minutes but we have gone in to it in detail now so it's all good :smile:
Well last year, between AS and A2, we had 4 weeks of A2 study but with our AS timetable.. meaning that we had to study even the subject which we were going to drop at the end of the year! That was actually the biggest waste of time, as a lot of the teachers couldn't be bothered :frown: But at the end of the day, there's no choice, so no matter how much of a waste of time is, it's best just to have as much fun as you can!
Reply 4
Yeah, usually the new timetable starts in June following study leave, it's strange that your new school hasn't!

I started sixth year on Monday, and it's been quite confusing with timetable changes and trying to find other schools that do the subjects I want, but as of tomorrow things should settle down.
We started on the first topic in History, and have been doing worksheets, etc, kind of easing us in slowly I think.
As for my other two subjects, I've not actually had any class time so just been looking over Higher stuff from last year and doing some exercises from an AH book.
It's been a boring week tbh :frown:
Reply 5
New timetable at my school started straight after study leave lol
Just started my AH's and H.

AH History - Just been given an outline of the course and some stuff to read
AH Geog - I've not had that yet, first period of that will be tomorrow
AH English - Been given an outline of the course
H Business Management - Given outline of the course and started being taught some of the first topic
Started 6th year on monday just there
so far, not really done anything
I've got 12 free periods which will narrow down by August because I'm doing three commitees, the buddy scheme and acting as a class-assistant in higher English teaching "The Catcher in the Rye" and "Death of a Salesman" and possibly higher Drama.

I'm doing AH English - already got my books for my dissertation and seen the three movies for the media course.
AH French - done a couple of listening, given some vocab, already have my two books ( "Les Particules Elementaires" and "Le Fantome de l'Opera" )
H Politics - debated a bit, done an essay

so not a lot of work!
Reply 7
Just had our first timetabled day today.
Spent the week doing career talks, uni talks etc. (total crap)
Had 2 hours of class today the rest was free periods :smile:

Advanced Higher computing - already started programming in prep for the practical coursework

Advanced Higher Maths - pretty much just got our books n started partial fractions

Advanced Higher Physics - just talked :smile:

still got higher technological studies to get.
Reply 8
Well not too much so far.

Higher Maths - well yes quite a lot so far haha.
Higher Physics - teacher didn't begin with vectors/scalars which i thought was the start of the course? he started on pressure.
Higher Information Systems - just pissin about making databases.
Higher Business Management - easing us in with an introduction week...?
Reply 9
Rachely
Higher Physics - teacher didn't begin with vectors/scalars which i thought was the start of the course? he started on pressure.

My teacher did this when I took Higher Physics last year. She thought that if anyone joined the class after summer, it would be easier for them to catch up if we had started with Properties of Matter rather than Vectors etc.
LuhLah
We've started, English is meh, we're doing close reading and PSU, Chem (which I may be dropping) we've started, and I can't keep up apparently. Human Bio is quite good, but we haven't really done much work in MS or History. Still got a lot of homework though, and now five highers seems like a bad idea. I'll possibly drop Chem for Computing, and maybe even drop down into Int 2 for English lol.

Dont give up hope. The thing with english is that alot of ppl start the course, and just dont get it, but by the end of the course the formulas for a good essay and close reading answers (although obviously answers can vary widely) clicked and they feel alot more confident about it. For example, my sister got a C in her prelim and went on to get an A band 1. :cool:
Reply 11
Just starting the courses after being told the course structure and content. We have just started, and are still pretty layed back.
Reply 12
Ugh, we aren't starting properly until next year due to the Duke of Edinburgh practice and full expeditions. We don't even get a new timetable until next year either. So far we've just been watching movies and reading the books for the Personal Study. The only time we even work is next week and then it's back to movie watching for the last few days. I've been doing work at home by myself though and so far the courses seem pretty good. Nothing particularly hard has cropped up yet though I'm only looking through the first units so that may change further down the line.(I'm taking Maths, English, Chemistry, Biology and Physics by the way)
We stuck to our old timetable, complete with subjects we were dropping, before moving on after summer. With the exception of subjects where we were made to take it the next year (e.g. English) we tended to lark about or do some tangentially-related work. When we'd finished Higher Chemistry, for example, we were given a little project where we had to develop little fizzy bath scent things and some marketing stuff and give a presentation to the class.
Reply 14
My school used to start the new year's timetable in June but we aren't doing that this year. I have started my new subjects though:
AH Maths: started matrices as they're apparently the easiest thing to catch up on after summer.
H physics: did nothing on Wednesday, class probably did work on Thursday but I was at a maths challenge thing so I don't know, and my teacher was off on Friday;
AH chemistry: isn't running before the summer and might not be running at all. Nobody knows because my school is so ridiculously disorganised.
I'm going into 6th year and basically all my periods are free periods.. I'm so bored words cannot explain!

Taking adv history, adv french, higher mod and music. French isn't timetabled yet, only get 3 adv history periods, 6 periods of mod and then music is being done in my free periods.. so I have nothing to do!

Considering dropping out of 6th year if I get better grades this year!
Reply 16
We started this week:

AH Art - We've only been discussing areas/themes to work on really.

AH Biology - Only been discussing investigations.

H Maths - Done quite a bit of work actually. I really wish I hadn't had a year out of maths... its really difficult to pick up the swing of things again.

H Chemistry - Done quite a bit also. Easy peasy considering I'm resitting the whole course... grr... If I find I get a B in the exam though I'll change it.
Reply 17
Anyone else got a lot of homework? We get Chemistry homework every night, a lot of History and Modern Studies homework. And, we have to full up a huge, fat jotter full of notes for our personal study...during the summer x.x
Reply 18
We start our higher timetables and most of our classes tomorrow. So far we've basically had 2 fun filled weeks of DVDs and playing cards. :frown:

But we've started Higher Physics and Maths. So far in maths we've done some of the straight line topic and in Physics we've started uncertainties.

But hopefully we'll start all the higher courses tomorrow.
AH English - course outline, creative writing, discussion re. which books/authors are suitable. Chose which plays I'm doing.

AH French - consortia column, black hole until August

H Modern - two speeches to prepare for last week of school about Gordon Brown :eek:

H Geography - teacher took us up the town and bought us all an ice-cream

Latest

Trending

Trending