The Student Room Group

The Tier 4 applicants chat thread and FAQ *read the first post*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
kittensmittens
Its okay to use a joint account as long as you're named as one of the account holders. Some people are also saying that it is okay to use your parents' account if they write a letter saying they will support you...but I would verify this.

In terms of which form you should fill out - depending on which country you are from you may be able to apply online, which should make the whole process much easier and simpler methinks!

Thanks, I think I am account holder, though English is not my native language so I am not exactly sure but the woman at the bank told me she can print that account's balance in my name as I do have a permission to use it. So I guess that's it.

Oooh, awesome, I can fill out online application! Does that mean that I only need to bring a filled out Appendix to my appointment?

I was just wondering do I need some kind of a proof of my accommodation, like a payment slip or a letter from provider or is it enough to put in application that I will be staying there?
Moon86
Thanks, I think I am account holder, though English is not my native language so I am not exactly sure but the woman at the bank told me she can print that account's balance in my name as I do have a permission to use it. So I guess that's it.

Oooh, awesome, I can fill out online application! Does that mean that I only need to bring a filled out Appendix to my appointment?

I was just wondering do I need some kind of a proof of my accommodation, like a payment slip or a letter from provider or is it enough to put in application that I will be staying there?

Regarding online applications where are you from? They are not available in every country so make sure you check that it is available in your country. I think that means you only need to bring the appendix to the appointment, yes.

In terms of accommodation - you do not need accommodation to apply for your visa. A lot of people who are renting privately don't get their accommodation sorted until a few weeks before their course!
Reply 22
kittensmittens
Regarding online applications where are you from? They are not available in every country so make sure you check that it is available in your country. I think that means you only need to bring the appendix to the appointment, yes.

In terms of accommodation - you do not need accommodation to apply for your visa. A lot of people who are renting privately don't get their accommodation sorted until a few weeks before their course!

I am from Croatia, I checked and it is available, I just thought I'd still need to file paper form when submitting other documents. But if I don't, that's great!

Oh I didn't know that about accommodation, in some forms I saw they ask for UK address.

Have you completed online form? Did it ask you for UK address?
Moon86
I am from Croatia, I checked and it is available, I just thought I'd still need to file paper form when submitting other documents. But if I don't, that's great!

Oh I didn't know that about accommodation, in some forms I saw they ask for UK address.

Have you completed online form? Did it ask you for UK address?

I haven't completed the form yet but all the paperwork I got from the school I am attending specifically stated that "you do not need guaranteed accommodation to apply for a visa."
Reply 24
kittensmittens
I haven't completed the form yet but all the paperwork I got from the school I am attending specifically stated that "you do not need guaranteed accommodation to apply for a visa."

Awesome, thanks! :smile:

I am still waiting on my letter, hopefully it will arrive soon!
kittensmittens
Not a problem!...but wait, have you've already submitted your application and got your appointment? Is there an extremely long wait to get an appointment? I'm worried since it seems I can't submit mine until July 12 since my course starts on October 12...but what if I don't get an appointment until weeks after that? I want to travel in mid Sept. since my accommodation contract starts then and I want to have a few weeks just to get used to a new city!

Yup - I submitted my application and have an appointment around July 12th to get the biometrics done. And then after that I think I have to submit the rest of my documents within two weeks to the British Embassy. There wasn't a huge wait to get an appointment, but that was the soonest that I could do it. I think they only gave me options starting in July.

I'm running on a similar clock as you as my course starts Sept 14th... and I want to be in the country by the 1st. So pretty much -- exactly the same. I'm hoping things go smoothly :/
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/pbs-new-forms-for-students?area=Whatsnewonthiswebsite

something i came across on another thread that might be useful to people here! They've changed/tweaked things just a little bit on the points system.
that was useful, thanks. It clarifies that we only need to show that we have enough money on the day that we apply (not 28 days beforehand), which i wasn't 100% sure about.
Yeah -- the only caveat I had about that was the fact that toward the top it says that "these forms" are for people applying from within the UK. But I'm just going to assume that the guidelines apply to everyone...

Hopefully. The wording is a little strange.

My guess is they run into the same problem every year with students not quite getting their loans on time. I am currently still doing the paperwork for mine so most likely will not hit that 28 day requirement, so I'm hoping this is for everyone.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/studyingintheuk/adult-students/money/what-money-do-i-need/

Under "Transitional Arrangements" (at the end):
As you have never had to show money before, we recognise that you may be unable to show us that you have held the money needed for the 28 days, at the start of Tier 4. If you apply before 1 October you will only need to show proof that you have the money needed, on the day that you apply. You must still provide the correct documents to support your application.

I think this 28-day rule is new for this year, and that is why they are not enforcing it fully yet (since people didn't know about it and thus did not make arrangements to meet the requirements). I'm funding myself from savings so it makes no difference either way, but I like not having to worry about keeping a specific amount in my account for 28 days.

Btw that other link that says "these forms are only to be used if applying from within the UK" does not even link to any forms from what I can see. God I hate this whole stupid process and website!!! To top it all off I had to bug my school to send me another version of my visa letter since they made a mistake on the first one and the person who does them was on vacation for 2 weeks so I was kinda panicking. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Ooooh, didn't see that little bit. Thanks for pointing it out! Yeah, should be okay then.

The visa website seems to just take you around in circles. I was mildly put out that the link outlining the necessary documents etc. wasn't really available until you actually sat down and applied for the visa itself (after waiting till you were finally able to do so). It's hard to find things clearly stated...

Hope you get that second letter without any more hassle. What a pain!!
Reply 31
Hey everybody,

PLEASE help me with this, I'm so confused!

I won't be going to university, but rather I'm going for sixth form this coming Sept but of course, I'll have to go through the exact same processes to get my visa.

Okay so first,
I've read through this link and I'm just SO confused - does it mean that we DON'T have to deposit money 28 days prior to our application, but instead just show that we have proof on the day of the application itself?? Did they JUST change the ruling? How, then, do we prove that the money is ours if it isn't a loan or anything else?

Second,
uhhh I have to wait for my results to come out before I can apply for my visa, but the people here seem to be keen to apply 3 months (or more) before their course - is this applicable to everybody? Because I was only planning on applying somewhere in August!

Reply 32
sugardust
Hey everybody,

PLEASE help me with this, I'm so confused!

I won't be going to university, but rather I'm going for sixth form this coming Sept but of course, I'll have to go through the exact same processes to get my visa.

Okay so first,
I've read through this link and I'm just SO confused - does it mean that we DON'T have to deposit money 28 days prior to our application, but instead just show that we have proof on the day of the application itself?? Did they JUST change the ruling? How, then, do we prove that the money is ours if it isn't a loan or anything else?

Second,
uhhh I have to wait for my results to come out before I can apply for my visa, but the people here seem to be keen to apply 3 months (or more) before their course - is this applicable to everybody? Because I was only planning on applying somewhere in August!

If you apply for a visa before 1st October this year you will only need to show that you have the funds on the day of the application, however I will still wait 28 days just in case, because it is only a week longer for me and I want to be sure because I phoned Embassy couple of times and they are giving different informations.

As to how to prove the money is yours I don't know really, but I will submit my mum's pay slips as well as a letter saying she will sponsor me.

And not everyone is applying 3 months early don't worry, I will apply a month before the course starts, and I only plan on travelling 4 days before course starts.
Moon86
If you apply for a visa before 1st October this year you will only need to show that you have the funds on the day of the application, however I will still wait 28 days just in case, because it is only a week longer for me and I want to be sure because I phoned Embassy couple of times and they are giving different informations.

As to how to prove the money is yours I don't know really, but I will submit my mum's pay slips as well as a letter saying she will sponsor me.

And not everyone is applying 3 months early don't worry, I will apply a month before the course starts, and I only plan on travelling 4 days before course starts.

Be careful! I know the visa guidelines state that the money needs to be in an account with your name on it, or your name must be attached to the account. And then you submit a bank statement for proof.

My parents are paying for my fees, so they ended up transferring money into my account for this purpose alone- to secure the visa. As ridiculous and illogical this may be, when I inquired (just an email to US British Council) they confirmed that the bank statements must be for MY account.

SO I guess unless you get word otherwise, be careful in submitting your parents' pay slips. Especially if you don't leave much time to get the visa.
Reply 34
dancchica530
Be careful! I know the visa guidelines state that the money needs to be in an account with your name on it, or your name must be attached to the account. And then you submit a bank statement for proof.

My parents are paying for my fees, so they ended up transferring money into my account for this purpose alone- to secure the visa. As ridiculous and illogical this may be, when I inquired (just an email to US British Council) they confirmed that the bank statements must be for MY account.

SO I guess unless you get word otherwise, be careful in submitting your parents' pay slips. Especially if you don't leave much time to get the visa.

Well to be honest I got both informations, one person told me my mum's account is okay as long as my pays all my fees, later I was told that money has to be in my account.

Currently the money is in my mum's account but I am named a user of that account with equal rights, the only right I don't have is the right to close the account and they told me in the bank that they can write that one too. Plus my mum is also named on my student loan.

I didn't think that submitting mum's pay slips extra could be a problem? Do you think it might be?
Moon86
Well to be honest I got both informations, one person told me my mum's account is okay as long as my pays all my fees, later I was told that money has to be in my account.

Currently the money is in my mum's account but I am named a user of that account with equal rights, the only right I don't have is the right to close the account and they told me in the bank that they can write that one too. Plus my mum is also named on my student loan.

I didn't think that submitting mum's pay slips extra could be a problem? Do you think it might be?

No, I don't think it would be a problem if you submitted the pay slips as extra. It sounds like you meet the requirement already if you have equal rights to your mom's account, and your name is attached to her account and on the bank statement. You sound good to go :smile:
Reply 36
dancchica530
No, I don't think it would be a problem if you submitted the pay slips as extra. It sounds like you meet the requirement already if you have equal rights to your mom's account, and your name is attached to her account and on the bank statement. You sound good to go :smile:

Awesome! It kinda sounds better when someone else says that too! I worry a lot :biggrin:
Reply 37
Moon86

Haha okay, so on the day of my application itself, I'll have to go and get a bank statement for that particular date? Okay, say I wait the 28 days, how do I prove that I've had the money for 28 days? Hahaha sorry, I feel so immature asking questions about things that seem so simple for everybody else :frown: I've called the High Commission up a few times as well - and I've gotten different instructions. One said to put it in for 28 days while another said to prove it on that day only. I get headaches just thinking about it!

Moon86

Hey hope you don't mind me asking - okay so your parents transferred money into your account.. for 28 days? And when you apply for the visa, all you need to show as proof of having the funds, is a bank statement?

My parents were thinking of transferring the required amount into a new account with my mom's name AND my name on the account - as in, a joint account; due to the fact that I'm under 18 and there are so many categories under Tier 4! Like, some say that for children under 18, the child needs their PARENTS to show that they have enough money to pay for the fees yet somewhere else it says children who are 16 or 17 must show that THEY themselves have enough money for the fees.

16 or 17 is considered under 18, so we got confused and decided that a joint account was the way to go - you think this will be okay?
Reply 38
sugardust
Haha okay, so on the day of my application itself, I'll have to go and get a bank statement for that particular date? Okay, say I wait the 28 days, how do I prove that I've had the money for 28 days? Hahaha sorry, I feel so immature asking questions about things that seem so simple for everybody else :frown: I've called the High Commission up a few times as well - and I've gotten different instructions. One said to put it in for 28 days while another said to prove it on that day only. I get headaches just thinking about it!

Hey hope you don't mind me asking - okay so your parents transferred money into your account.. for 28 days? And when you apply for the visa, all you need to show as proof of having the funds, is a bank statement?

My parents were thinking of transferring the required amount into a new account with my mom's name AND my name on the account - as in, a joint account; due to the fact that I'm under 18 and there are so many categories under Tier 4! Like, some say that for children under 18, the child needs their PARENTS to show that they have enough money to pay for the fees yet somewhere else it says children who are 16 or 17 must show that THEY themselves have enough money for the fees.

16 or 17 is considered under 18, so we got confused and decided that a joint account was the way to go - you think this will be okay?

Oooh! If you are 16 or 17 you can choose whether you want to apply as a child student or adult student. So be careful on that one.

If you apply as a child student money can be on your parent's account, but I think you are not allowed to work part time then and you possibly need someone to care for you in the UK

If you chose to apply as an adult student then money MUST be in your account or account with your name on it.

As for 28 days, you don't need a bank statement from the day of your application but rather a bank statement from within last 30 days, for example if you apply for your visa on 20th July your bank statement must be dated between 20th June to 20th July. And so 28 days if your statement is dated 20th June your money must be in that account since 23rd May (might have done the maths wrong but you get what I am trying to say :wink:) Apparently money doesn't have to be in your account for 28 days but I like to play it safe so I guess this one is mostly up to you!

I won't have bank statement at all because I have to get all documents translated in English so I thought that letter from a bank looked nicer for that purpose, plus my banker told me that everyone else who applied for visa this year used letter from the bank confirming funds and account's holders (basically she told me she will write that account is in both names and we all have equal rights over it and that she confirms that there is so much money in the account, when was money put into account and that she certifies that since then amount of money in the account was never lower than that). Translation of documents takes from 1 to 2 days, so my bank statement can't be dated the same day as my application.

Also, my mum didn't transfer money into my account, she simply gave me permission to use the money from her account, so my name is now attached to her account, so I don't have to wait another 28 days.

The money is also in pounds sterling in foreign currency account so I don't need to calculate the money from our currency into pounds.
But if you decide to do this they will ask you to give bank statements for both accounts, foreign currency account and home currency account, I called Embassy and checked this one.
Reply 39
Moon86
Oooh! If you are 16 or 17 you can choose whether you want to apply as a child student or adult student. So be careful on that one.

If you apply as a child student money can be on your parent's account, but I think you are not allowed to work part time then and you possibly need someone to care for you in the UK

If you chose to apply as an adult student then money MUST be in your account or account with your name on it.

As for 28 days, you don't need a bank statement from the day of your application but rather a bank statement from within last 30 days, for example if you apply for your visa on 20th July your bank statement must be dated between 20th June to 20th July. And so 28 days if your statement is dated 20th June your money must be in that account since 23rd May (might have done the maths wrong but you get what I am trying to say :wink:) Apparently money doesn't have to be in your account for 28 days but I like to play it safe so I guess this one is mostly up to you!

I won't have bank statement at all because I have to get all documents translated in English so I thought that letter from a bank looked nicer for that purpose, plus my banker told me that everyone else who applied for visa this year used letter from the bank confirming funds and account's holders (basically she told me she will write that account is in both names and we all have equal rights over it and that she confirms that there is so much money in the account, when was money put into account and that she certifies that since then amount of money in the account was never lower than that). Translation of documents takes from 1 to 2 days, so my bank statement can't be dated the same day as my application.

Also, my mum didn't transfer money into my account, she simply gave me permission to use the money from her account, so my name is now attached to her account, so I don't have to wait another 28 days.

The money is also in pounds sterling in foreign currency account so I don't need to calculate the money from our currency into pounds.
But if you decide to do this they will ask you to give bank statements for both accounts, foreign currency account and home currency account, I called Embassy and checked this one.

Haha sorry I'm STILL just a little bit lost about the part in bold! I thought it would be more like, say, I'm applying for my visa on the 29th of June. So, 28 days before that (not including the 29th itself), would be from the 1st of June, right? So wouldn't we only have to put in the money on the 1st of June? And then the bank statement would only have to be from the 28th of May to the 28th of June right?

Anyway thanks so much for all of your help :yep: - I think I'll be applying as a child student. I THINK. (gahh, I hate this. why does the UK have to do this to us?! :frown: )

Quick Reply

Latest