The Student Room Group

The Tier 4 applicants chat thread and FAQ *read the first post*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Moon86
Okay so you applied online on 23rd? And had only 3 days to your biometrics?

Also do you mind me asking did you have the money in your account for 28 days?
And is your bank statement dated before or after the date you applied online?

*I should note that all the information here is for someone applying from the USA. *

Yes, I applied online on the 23rd. For the biometrics, it forces you to make an appointment online and the first one available was on the 23rd.. I could have scheduled one further out if needed.

I did have the money in my account for 28 days, but that was only because I have been reading about this visa stuff for a long long time, so I knew about the 28 day thing back in like February so I had a long time to prepare. That said, it seems that the 28 day period doesn't matter anymore.

Bank statement was dated before I applied online. I think the only requirement there was that the statement cant be more than 30 days prior to application (it might have been 60 days, or some other number, i dont remember)

Anymore questions let me know.
Reply 101
scooter
*I should note that all the information here is for someone applying from the USA. *

Yes, I applied online on the 23rd. For the biometrics, it forces you to make an appointment online and the first one available was on the 23rd.. I could have scheduled one further out if needed.

I did have the money in my account for 28 days, but that was only because I have been reading about this visa stuff for a long long time, so I knew about the 28 day thing back in like February so I had a long time to prepare. That said, it seems that the 28 day period doesn't matter anymore.

Bank statement was dated before I applied online. I think the only requirement there was that the statement cant be more than 30 days prior to application (it might have been 60 days, or some other number, i dont remember)

Anymore questions let me know.

Thanks :smile: The fact that you could schedule your appointment so soon is very relieving as people saying they have appointments in 2 weeks got me worried a bit.

Yeah I've been preparing myself for it since March I believe, but sadly I got information that person paying for my tuition is my sponsor (my mum) so the money could be in her account, later they changed that bit so I had to transfer money and all the mess and now I am just worried.
Sorry, this is a rant ! Not created here to cause panic or worries as this only relates to MY application !

OK, I'm officially pissed about this whole process now :smile:
Basically I decided to send a question to Worldbridge about the exact date I need to have on my bank letter.

Problem is I made the application on the same day I got the letter so the date will match, what I didn't know is that application is considered to be complete only when you actually pay ,something which I stupidly decided to do next week on my appointment because I wanted to pay in cash.

The application form which I printed states that the application was made on the 29th and so is my bank letter, but now since I haven't paid it means my application will officially be on July 10th (I guess because I just read this , I didn't notice this before ! http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/pbs-new-forms-for-students?area=Studying)...

I asked worldbridge if I need to change the date on my letter but all I got was the usual copied and pasted text that states :
If you apply before 1 October 2009 you will only need to show proof that you have the money needed, on the day that you apply. You must still provide the correct documents to support your application

I still can't figure out if I actually need to go and change the date on my letter or what to do , this is so confusing.

Also the day I have my appointment is actually the day that my bank is closed !!!

Am I ridiculously paranoid or do I have something to worry about ?
Reply 103
ArianaBanana
Sorry, this is a rant ! Not created here to cause panic or worries as this only relates to MY application !

Basically I decided to send a question to Worldbridge about the exact date I need to have on my bank letter.

Problem is I made the application on the same day I got the letter so the date will match, what I didn't know is that application is considered to be complete only when you actually pay ,something which I stupidly decided to do next week on my appointment because I wanted to pay in cash.

The application form which I printed states that the application was made on the 29th and so is my bank letter, but now since I haven't paid it means my application will officially be on July 10th (I guess because I just read this , I didn't notice this before ! http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/pbs-new-forms-for-students?area=Studying)...

I asked worldbridge if I need to change the date on my letter but all I got was the usual copied and pasted text that states :
If you apply before 1 October 2009 you will only need to show proof that you have the money needed, on the day that you apply. You must still provide the correct documents to support your application

I still can't figure out if I actually need to go and change the date on my letter or what to do , this is so confusing.

Also the day I have my appointment is actually the day that my bank is closed !!!

Relax, it must be within 30 days of your application and that one must be valid for sure. Think of all those people who have to translate bank statements in English, translation takes at least a day, so in that case the statement can't possibly be dated the same day.

However I am worried about the date you have to write on the application, which one you write, the date you filled the application or the day you paid the fees, in case the date is different?
Moon86
Relax, it must be within 30 days of your application and that one must be valid for sure. Think of all those people who have to translate bank statements in English, translation takes at least a day, so in that case the statement can't possibly be dated the same day.

However I am worried about the date you have to write on the application, which one you write, the date you filled the application or the day you paid the fees, in case the date is different?

Since my application form was done online it was automatically dated with the date I pressed submit the application...
Reply 105
ArianaBanana
Since my application form was done online it was automatically dated with the date I pressed submit the application...

I was actually talking about Appendix 8 that you have to submit together with your documents, it asks for a date there too, so I am not sure which one to put there
Moon86
I was actually talking about Appendix 8 that you have to submit together with your documents, it asks for a date there too, so I am not sure which one to put there

LOL, with all the stress I totally overlooked that ! I still haven't filled this form actually , that is an interesting question about the date. I think I'll just write the same date as on the printed application form :eek3:
Reply 107
i am in a very confusing situation so i really need help. I am from Canada and will be starting university in the UK. The problem is that i am currently in the UK for some family weddings and will be returning to Canada a month before my university starts. I have sent my online visa application from the UK and now my biometrics appointment is when i return to Canada. Does anyone know is this alright that i made the application while i am already in the UK.? And keeping in mind that i will be attending the biometrics in Canada and will return to the UK on my student visa? If anyone knows anything about this or can answer any questions i will really appreciate it. I have asked Worldbridge but they are not very clear about their answers. so please help...
Canada123
i am in a very confusing situation so i really need help. I am from Canada and will be starting university in the UK. The problem is that i am currently in the UK for some family weddings and will be returning to Canada a month before my university starts. I have sent my online visa application from the UK and now my biometrics appointment is when i return to Canada. Does anyone know is this alright that i made the application while i am already in the UK.? And keeping in mind that i will be attending the biometrics in Canada and will return to the UK on my student visa? If anyone knows anything about this or can answer any questions i will really appreciate it. I have asked Worldbridge but they are not very clear about their answers. so please help...

Did you apply to the Home Office or the British consulate in Canada? I'm assuming the latter, as they wouldn't have allowed you to make an appointment in Canada if you applied to the Home Office... I can't see the problem here. The online application system wouldn't have allowed you to make an apppointment in Canada if that wasn't where you should have your appointment.
kittensmittens
hmmm....my guess would be that they have no clue about where you actually made an online application from - are they going to track your IP address? If your biometrics appointment is in Canada then it counts as "making your application from Canada," I would think.

Out of curiosity, which VAC are you doing your biometrics at? I'm going to do them at the Toronto VAC and I can't make an application until July 12 (course starts October 12)...I'm hoping I don't have to wait toooo long for an appointment!

You can still make your application and appointment and then send it after July 12th...
ArianaBanana

Ah, this is what I was looking for before! I wasn't sure where I read that "the date of your application form" is the day that you pay.

It seems that anyone we try to ask for clarification just copies and pastes the guidance notes - how annoying!

Can you still log in and pay online or do you have to pay on your appointment date now? I think you're probably fine...but if you want to be 1000% sure, would it be possible to get a new appointment date and get a letter on that day?

I was a bit confused about the logistics of "showing you have enough money on the day you apply" as well. So I have to get a letter from my bank and then rush home and click submit and pay my fees right away? Strange...
la fille danse
You can still make your application and appointment and then send it after July 12th...

Really? I thought I wasn't allowed to make an appointment until I completed and submitted an application form...and that I wasn't allowed to submit an application form until 3 months before my course start date...
kittensmittens
Really? I thought I wasn't allowed to make an appointment until I completed and submitted an application form...and that I wasn't allowed to submit an application form until 3 months before my course start date...

Yeah but you don't submit your application until after you've had an appointment. When you apply online, all you're doing is filling out the form and paying.
la fille danse
Yeah but you don't submit your application until after you've had an appointment. When you apply online, all you're doing is filling out the form and paying.

but if you apply from outside the UK, they consider the "day that you pay" to be "the day that you apply"
is it possible to make an appointment before you pay? I'm planning on paying online.

I suppose I could fill out the online stuff earlier, then pay in person at my appointment after july 12, that way I can book the appointment earlier but they will consider the date of the appointment to be "the date that I applied"....but then I have to get a bank letter dated the same day as my appointment date. meh, I like my original plan better, hopefully it will be enough time!
kittensmittens
but if you apply from outside the UK, they consider the "day that you pay" to be "the day that you apply"
is it possible to make an appointment before you pay? I'm planning on paying online.

I suppose I could fill out the online stuff earlier, then pay in person at my appointment after july 12, that way I can book the appointment earlier but they will consider the date of the appointment to be "the date that I applied"....but then I have to get a bank letter dated the same day as my appointment date. meh, I like my original plan better, hopefully it will be enough time!

The three month thing isn't even in the guidance. I wouldn't take it that literally...

My course begins September 22nd, my application is dated June 15th, and my appointment is July 6th.

You can't book an appointment until you've paid.
la fille danse
The three month thing isn't even in the guidance. I wouldn't take it that literally...

My course begins September 22nd, my application is dated June 15th, and my appointment is July 6th.

You can't book an appointment until you've paid.

that's what I initially thought, it isn't even in guidance and yet people seem to be following it religiously...but everyone I asked told me to follow it so I did, maybe I'm just needlessly delaying my application.
I've just uncovered another problem....
They ask for all your passports from the last 10 years but I no longer have one of mine. I think the Canadian embassy kept the old one when I renewed it last time. Is this a huge deal? What should I do?
Buh, I decided to change my appointment so I can go to the bank on the same day , get a new letter which is dated to the same day and go to the British Consulate after I get the letter, because the application system in my country allows choosing cash at the meeting as a payment option and I was an idiot and chose that option . At least I'll know I did everything according to the guidance and all the documents are dated on the same day . I still think it's insane but I'd rather be on the safe side ...

I feel like a total idiot , totally confused and nervous... :frown:
ArianaBanana
Buh, I decided to change my appointment so I can go to the bank on the same day , get a new letter which is dated to the same day and go to the British Consulate after I get the letter, because the application system in my country allows choosing cash at the meeting as a payment option and I was an idiot and chose that option . At least I'll know I did everything according to the guidance and all the documents are dated on the same day . I still think it's insane but I'd rather be on the safe side ...

I feel like a total idiot , totally confused and nervous... :frown:

Good to play it safe though. I'm sure you'll be fine. :yep:
kittensmittens
that's what I initially thought, it isn't even in guidance and yet people seem to be following it religiously...but everyone I asked told me to follow it so I did, maybe I'm just needlessly delaying my application.

I expect they tell us not to apply until three months before so they can keep their workload fairly consistent. Otherwise you'd have people applying for courses starting in one week and people applying for courses starting in six months at the same time. As long as they don't receive your application more than three months before your course starts, I don't think they will care.

I've just uncovered another problem....
They ask for all your passports from the last 10 years but I no longer have one of mine. I think the Canadian embassy kept the old one when I renewed it last time. Is this a huge deal? What should I do?

Where does it say that?

On the application form it asks where your old passport is, so you can just check "lost" or whatever.

Quick Reply

Latest