The Student Room Group

The Tier 4 applicants chat thread and FAQ *read the first post*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
kittensmittens
really? maybe its different for your country but everywhere I read, it said that your documents have to reach the high commision within 2 weeks of the appointment.

EDIT: nevermind, I just checked the worldbridge site for Croatia and it is totally different than for Canada. Sorry for giving you wrong information! But yeah, you are in a weird situation aren't you? Have you called and asked them? And doesn't your bank have the option to do it in English?

Yeah, things like this seem to always happen to me, I haven't called them as they were really rude to me last time so I really don't see a point in going through that again. The bank can't issue a letter in English because according to law all official documents must be issued in Official Language and English is not our official language.

I guess I should start calling court interpretors to see if there is a one that would translate it in couple of hours for higher fee
Moon86
Yeah, things like this seem to always happen to me, I haven't called them as they were really rude to me last time so I really don't see a point in going through that again. The bank can't issue a letter in English because according to law all official documents must be issued in Official Language and English is not our official language.

I guess I should start calling court interpretors to see if there is a one that would translate it in couple of hours for higher fee

Yeah, I mean how long does translation take! But I would still contact the consulate/embassy/someone if I were you because it seems like a really unreasonable thing to expect. You seem like a very conscientious/perfectionst type person :p: and I highly doubt everyone else will get theirs translated in a few hours!
kittensmittens
I have my money spread out over 3 accounts so I'm just going to get a letter...or if they can print some sort of combined statement.

I considered moving it into one but it was too much hassle, I like the way it is arranged now

You could just show statements for each of the accounts. If added together it equals the right amount, it's fine.
Reply 163
la fille danse
Statements always show a 28-day period, by default. There's no need to get a letter when you can just get a statement. :smile:

I wanted to comment on this but I forgot, so here it is now, this is untrue at least in Croatia, statements only show days some kind of transaction happened on, either adding money or redrawing some.

Plus they usually show 30 or 31 days period, at least here for example mine are always printed on 15th, but in case money is not in an account 28 days statements won't help much as they take a day or two to reach you and money should be showed on a day of application
Reply 164
kittensmittens
Yeah, I mean how long does translation take! But I would still contact the consulate/embassy/someone if I were you because it seems like a really unreasonable thing to expect. You seem like a very conscientious/perfectionst type person :p: and I highly doubt everyone else will get theirs translated in a few hours!

ha ha ha I will take that as an compliment! Yeah I like to do things properly or not do them at all. Oh and translation usually takes between 24 and 36 hours depending on how much work the translator has, or if you pay 50 % more and submit in the morning you get them by the end of work day for fast translation, that's what I did with my school certificates, but I never had translation done in couple of hours and British Embassy opening hours are 9 to 5 and 9 to 1 pm on Fridays, so I guess I don't want my appointment on Friday lol

And the reason I feel uncomfortable calling them is because we have an average of 3 student applicants per year and I already called them 5 times so I am really afraid they will mark my application with something and maybe refuse it on purpose because I was being annoying

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys mind saying which town are you going to?

scooter
I just got an email that said:
"Your application has been approved and the visa has been issued."

I am very happy! 1 week to the day from their receipt of the documents. Now lets just hope all the details on the visa are correct, I have heard of some people getting the wrong start date printed on their visas.

I wanted to say CONGRATS!!! You must me sooo happy! :smile:
la fille danse
You could just show statements for each of the accounts. If added together it equals the right amount, it's fine.

Yeah I know that would probably be fine too...but I would prefer to make it as clear to them as possible by only giving 1 amount. But you're right, it would work either way.
Moon86

And the reason I feel uncomfortable calling them is because we have an average of 3 student applicants per year and I already called them 5 times so I am really afraid they will mark my application with something and maybe refuse it on purpose because I was being annoying

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys mind saying which town are you going to?

Ahaha , when I read this I thought about myself , I talked to my father about this whole process and he said "you better stop emailing them , they will signal you out ! " We are a bunch of paranoids :smile:

But I do have the same problem with my bank letter and application fees and I still can't figure out what to do with that and my appointment is on Thursday !

And, I'm going to University of Sheffield, anyone else is going there ? :smile:
Reply 167
ha ha ha, I did that too! I had my mum, grandma and dad call them already, and I called them twice :biggrin: Though my main concern is that they will know I called them when my application is the only one they receive

I am going to Glasgow, way up north! :smile:
Okay.. I thought I had all the finances sorted out, but now I stumbled upon this thread and feel stupid.

Could someone tell me whether I'm doing everything right?

- I applied online june 24th.
- my "interview", ie when I'll be paying the fee, is july 13th.
- I have my bank statements from may and june, where it's shown that I've had the minimum amount of money from the start of may.

Is that enough?
The complicated thing is that my bank is in a different country so I can't just stop by and get statements, they have to be mailed to me.. which is all a massive pain, I hate how this is so lengthy :frown:
Reply 169
twizzler
Okay.. I thought I had all the finances sorted out, but now I stumbled upon this thread and feel stupid.

- I have my bank statements from may and june, where it's shown that I've had the minimum amount of money from the start of may.

Is that enough?
The complicated thing is that my bank is in a different country so I can't just stop by and get statements, they have to be mailed to me.. which is all a massive pain, I hate how this is so lengthy :frown:

It depends on the day your statement was printed on, if your last statement is printed before 15th of June you should get a new one, otherwise you are fine
Moon86
It depends on the day your statement was printed on, if your last statement is printed before 15th of June you should get a new one, otherwise you are fine

It was printed july 6th.
PLEASE SAY THAT'S OKAY!
I will go mental if there's something wrong with my application.
:eek3:
Reply 171
twizzler
It was printed july 6th.
PLEASE SAY THAT'S OKAY!
I will go mental if there's something wrong with my application.
:eek3:

That is okay if you had money in your account for 28 days, which I think you did by what you said :smile:
Phew.
ok.
Sorry to be a nagging pain in the backside..
But you know the self-assessment form? Appendix 8?

- are accommodation fees a part of maintenance?
- and are all the funds only regarding the first year of studies?
Reply 173
Don't worry, as long as you read the requirements carefully and follow everythign correctly you will get the visa. Worst case scenario is that they ask you to come back in a few days time with anything you've missed.

Here's a good checklist of requirements for the Tier 4 Student Visa: http://ukvisahelp.co.uk/student-visas-tier-4
Reply 174
twizzler
Phew.
ok.
Sorry to be a nagging pain in the backside..
But you know the self-assessment form? Appendix 8?

- are accommodation fees a part of maintenance?
- and are all the funds only regarding the first year of studies?

I must say that I don't really understand what you mean by if accommodation fees are part of maintenance, if you mean should you deduct your maintenance money for the accommodation fees you already paid, then it really depends on whether your accommodation fees paid show on your visa letter from University. If they do not show on your visa letter it doesn't matter you paid them already you will still have to show full maintenance amount

Your funds should cover maximum of 9 months, you are not asked to show money for a full academic year.
Reply 175
boonkoh
Don't worry, as long as you read the requirements carefully and follow everythign correctly you will get the visa. Worst case scenario is that they ask you to come back in a few days time with anything you've missed.

Here's a good checklist of requirements for the Tier 4 Student Visa: http://ukvisahelp.co.uk/student-visas-tier-4

This is not true actually, on the ukvisas website it is stated that you must provide all needed documents and that they will not contact you in case you are missing something but they will refuse your visa.
Cool, I just found out I can go and make my application in person and more than likely get it approved on the same day. :biggrin:
Moon86
I must say that I don't really understand what you mean by if accommodation fees are part of maintenance, if you mean should you deduct your maintenance money for the accommodation fees you already paid, then it really depends on whether your accommodation fees paid show on your visa letter from University. If they do not show on your visa letter it doesn't matter you paid them already you will still have to show full maintenance amount

Your funds should cover maximum of 9 months, you are not asked to show money for a full academic year.

To elaborate..:

The application is only for the first year of studies. So the "length of course in months" would be, say, 9 months (even if it's a 4 year course).
Say my maintenance fees are 5,400 pounds, and accommodation is 5000 pounds (which has not yet been paid for). This means that my "outstanding maintenance fees" are 5400 pounds.
Yep? That right?
boonkoh

That is absolutely not true , some countries get services from UKBA offices overseas so the documents are sent abroad for the checks and even if it's done in the country you've applied in, no one will contact you if you have details or documents missing and no one will ask you to come back with missing documents, you'll probably get your visa refused due to documents missing.

As stated here :

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf29pbsstudent#15332357

You should include originals of all documents specified. They must be on the official letter-headed paper or stationery of the organisation and have the official stamp of that organisation. You should also provide a copy of each document. Where a document is not in English or Welsh, the original must be accompanied by a fully certified translation by a professional translator. This translation must include details of the translator’s qualifications and confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document. It must also be dated and include the original signature of the translator. You must show that you have held the money for at least 28 days. The end of that 28 day period must not be more than one month before the date of your application.If you do not provide the specified documents, we will not contact you to ask for them. Therefore, if you fail to send the correct documents we may refuse the application.
twizzler

Is that enough?

out of curiosity how come it took so long from your application date to your appointment? was that the earliest available?

Quick Reply

Latest