The Student Room Group

University Accommodation - are you allowed to have guests stay in your room?

Just say you want your girlfriend or boyfriend etc to stay over.. are you allowed to do that?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
its not like they will ever find out is it?
Reply 2
danny111
its not like they will ever find out is it?

Don't you have to sign them in or anything?
Alot of places say that you have to let your halls warden know and stuff like that but I dont know of anywhere where that is actually enforced.

For the most part, unless someone you live with complains you and your guests can come and go as you please. I know quite a few people who actually moved their boyfriends/girlfriends in.
Reply 4
we are for two nights and you have to sign them in at reception... but no-one sticks to either of those so its finee
Reply 5
In general most universities don't officially allow guests to stay over night or you have to sign them in...all in case of fires/evacuation to make sure they have an appropriate head count. But, in all honestly EVERYONE has people to stay over and don't bother to make it known to the powers that be.

Best to check the forum of the uni you're planning on attending to see how strict they are. Whenever I had my boyfriend to stay when I was in halls I just made sure i shoved the sleeping bag under the bed if we had a fire alarm cause they checked our rooms. I doubt it'd be an issue in most places.
Reply 6
timetokill

I know quite a few people who actually moved their boyfriends/girlfriends in.

lol... nice
Reply 7
Im hoping I end up in uni accom which is opposite my bfs shared house! :P He's got a nice big double bed, I dont think wed both fit in the little beds I saw at open day!
Reply 8
rusty_face
Don't you have to sign them in or anything?

depends. at lse you do. but i went to friends at warwick and they didn sign me in. also i stayed over at halls at lse even though signed in. also the signed in is like for fire alarm or whatever.
Reply 9
At mine your allowed 3 guests at any one time, but only 1 overnight guest.
I kinda bent the rules and had 4 overnight guests once....aha
Reply 10
The halls at two unis I've been to (the one I go to) Manchester and (one my friend goes to) UCLan weren't bothered. I think officially (at least at Manchester) you're supposed to let the warden know if you have anyone staying but no one bothers and guests are a pretty common occurrence.
Reply 11
I;ve stayed at my girlfriends accom many times.. As long as thier flatmates dont mind you should be fine to go/stay as often as you like.

Little beds are bad though! not comfy and not fun lol!:naughty:
Reply 12
nadiah
At mine your allowed 3 guests at any one time, but only 1 overnight guest.
I kinda bent the rules and had 4 overnight guests once....aha

Fivesome? :yes:
Reply 13
My boyfriend stayed in my room for nearly a month. What they don't know wont hurt them.
Reply 14
heh, I remember when I was staying at my sisters in Cambridge.My sister lived above 'The Eagle' down the street that comes off the one that King's is on, with the backway to Corpus Christie.

We were all in her room, and the fire alarm went off in the morning, and the porters didnt know we were in there. So, whilst all the students were lining up, my mum, me and 2 sisters run out in our pyjamas, and those of you that know that area will know that there is a walkway there through to the centre, so we ran down there and hid in the doorway of a cafe.

So the owner of the cafe turns up to open it, and finds 4 people sat in her doorway. She was wondering what the hell was going on.

The porter saw us in the end.
Reply 15
Phobia27
Fivesome? :yes:

bahaha not quite! Me and my boyfriend shared my bed, and my three friends were on my floor....there was not a single bit of space in my room :biggrin: I dread to think what would have happened if the porter had come in or there had been a fire :o: :p:
Reply 16
You have to let them know in advance i believe.
Nah so long as you cool it with your flatmates (always nice to ask first, it's your room but their flat too - be polite!) it won't be a problem, I've stayed over at Coventry, Manchester and Lincoln before and not been signed in. It's just because of fire alarms :smile:

(obviously don't take the wee and proper move someone in, that's a bad flatmate award rentwise)
Reply 18
nadiah
bahaha not quite! Me and my boyfriend shared my bed, and my three friends were on my floor....there was not a single bit of space in my room :biggrin: I dread to think what would have happened if the porter had come in or there had been a fire :o: :p:

Damn, I was hoping so, so I could use the classic 'Pics-or-it-didn't-happen' card :p:

As for me, friends have said to me they want to stay over whilst I'm at uni starting in September, looks like I don't have much of a choice :cool:
Reply 19
Phobia27
Damn, I was hoping so, so I could use the classic 'Pics-or-it-didn't-happen' card :p:

As for me, friends have said to me they want to stay over whilst I'm at uni starting in September, looks like I don't have much of a choice :cool:

haha TBH I didn't have much choice in the matter either XD It was a fun weekend though, crazy times, am glad they came! :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending