The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Last year I was happy I'm all done with GCSEs and never have to see them again until I found out that the university I want to go to wants Physics GCSE and single award combined science is not enough. So I did the Physics this year, I hope it won't be haunting me any more! I'm so happy that now I DID finish all my GCSEs =)
Nichrome
Guys, don't listen to all these idiots going "U'll wish u wer doin GCSEs, A levels r a bazillion times harda lololoL"

They're really not that much harder, I enjoyed A levels so so much more, since I was just doing the subjects I wanted to study, and much more in depth that at stupid GCSE. I never once looked back and wished I were still doing GCSEs. Enjoy your summer, and look forward to your A levels :smile:

Finally someone has a more positive views on A-levels... I do look forward to stuff like maths and physics cos they just seem so interesting at A-level! Dunno about biology and chemistry though.
I've got 4 more exams - TORTURE! :frown:
Nichrome
Guys, don't listen to all these idiots going "U'll wish u wer doin GCSEs, A levels r a bazillion times harda lololoL"

They're really not that much harder, I enjoyed A levels so so much more, since I was just doing the subjects I wanted to study, and much more in depth that at stupid GCSE. I never once looked back and wished I were still doing GCSEs. Enjoy your summer, and look forward to your A levels :smile:

Exactly, finally. To be honest, I'm looking forward to A Levels too, as I'm actually going to study the subjects I want. Anyway, I doubt their THAT hard; as you grow up you want more challenging stuff.
Harry Potter's sidekick
I've got 4 more exams - TORTURE! :frown:

Lol, yeah - I've got 3 :frown:
mammamia:0
How come? Don’t scare me!

Uh oh not another one :/

Lool I'm sorry it's just that Languages at A-level have a very neg. reputation (Im still doing French ha) And ermm the other ones, the sciences- they're apparently very hard too especially Chemistry but if you like them don't let people put you off- I'm sure you will be fine :smile:
Nichrome

You see the flaw in that is you are basically doing the same thing, is your personal opinion more relevant just becuase its the one people want to hear? The fact that the vast majority of people think its harder sugests you're the statistical anomaly.
Anyway to put it quantitatively i found GCSEs were two years of doing nothing and then doing about two hours revision before each exam, whereas A levels were (and indeed are as im not quite finished with them yet) two years of work with a weeks of revision leading up to the exam.
Dont get me wrong GCSE people it is nice to get rid of all the crap thats been forced on you this far and getting half the week off in free periods is always a plus but definatly make the most out of your 3 month summer :smile:
Reply 47
lemonyspongecake
Lool I'm sorry it's just that Languages at A-level have a very neg. reputation (Im still doing French ha) And ermm the other ones, the sciences- they're apparently very hard too especially Chemistry but if you like them don't let people put you off- I'm sure you will be fine :smile:

:no:
Reply 48
I have exams all next week so no fun yet. Cannot understand the issue of "hard" exams though, they are just more in-depth. This year I was up for 6 GCSEs, 4 ASs and an A2 in a foreign language. I revised the same for all.
Reply 49
Chris12002
You see the flaw in that is you are basically doing the same thing, is your personal opinion more relevant just becuase its the one people want to hear? The fact that the vast majority of people think its harder sugests you're the statistical anomaly.
Anyway to put it quantitatively i found GCSEs were two years of doing nothing and then doing about two hours revision before each exam, whereas A levels were (and indeed are as im not quite finished with them yet) two years of work with a weeks of revision leading up to the exam.
Dont get me wrong GCSE people it is nice to get rid of all the crap thats been forced on you this far and getting half the week off in free periods is always a plus but definatly make the most out of your 3 month summer :smile:

I didn't say they weren't harder, just that they're not as hard compared to GCSEs as people are trying to make out. Anyway, despite the increase in difficulty, surely it's so much nicer just to be studying the subjects you find interesting? I don't understand why anyone studying A levels would look back and wish they were doing GCSEs still.
ASTA LA VISTA! SOOOO glad that I will never have to do ICT again...quite looking forward to no more Chemistry lessons (I loathed chemistry), going to miss English (probably more my teacher than the subject itself lol) and in a very Stockholm kind of way, going to miss the English coursework but annoyingly happy that I can do my Maths & Further Maths in peace and not have to worry about things like RS homework....
5 to go. Woe is me!
Reply 52
I'm finished. :biggrin:
2 more left for me: Chemistry and Physics. I'll be finished on the 19th. Can't wait to start A Levels - I'll get to concentrate on subjects I'm actually interested in! :biggrin:
I have a functional skills written paper left.
but thats not a GCSE
yet paper 1 (on the computer) was harder than 50% of my GCSE's..
pinkpenguin
Lol Don't cry.

Us older folk are just pointing out that A Levels are a bazillion times harder. So enjoy your summer while you can and come into A Levels ready to work hard, or you're gonna fall flat on your face.

Trust me, if you don't do something fun with your summer, you'll wake up and it'll be next January.

You'll feel like you are continuously doing exams.

And yeah they are THAT much harder...

We are just giving friendly advice. Well done for getting through your first set of many formal exams. It is, genuinely, a great feeling. So enjoy your summer. 'Coz it ain't over yet.

Well, I have looked at AS level Maths textbook and it is basically the same as what I have done for IGCSE Maths. I have covered 2/3 topics and looking at the sample AS paper questions at the back of the textbook, it really isn't hard. So I think that is a slight exaggeration.
Reply 56
I have 1 left, IGCSE DA chemistry on wednesday. I had an exam last friday and its so annoying to be so close, but still not quite there.

Latest