The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

g_star_raw_1989
:eek:
I talked a bit abotu source 1 :eek3:
Oh ****.

Dw the grade boundaries are gonna be ridiculously low anyway, it won't make much difference.
Reply 21
g_star_raw_1989
:eek3:
I'm sure it said use all the sources.

Nope, didn't ask for S1, I only realised halfway through when I was about to drop it in.

I didn't like it, I'm suprised I didn't start panicing halfway through though (I think that was because I wasn't too pushed for time)

Sources were practically all judgements, which made it really hard to structure the B, and no one in my hall (including the HoY and invigilator) knew what despotic meant, so I was vague throughout the essay for fear of being wrong.

Garfunkel.
I wish I could have been there :rofl:
I know people have sent e-mails of complaint to edexcel.
Anyone else going to do this?
__Katy
Nope, didn't ask for S1, I only realised halfway through when I was about to drop it in.

I didn't like it, I'm suprised I didn't start panicing halfway through though (I think that was because I wasn't too pushed for time)

Sources were practically all judgements, which made it really hard to structure the B, and no one in my hall (including the HoY and invigilator) knew what despotic meant, so I was vague throughout the essay for fear of being wrong.

Garfunkel.

So glad History is my 4th subject :yep:
Oh well, Edexcel are so weird though, you never know what your gonna get.
On the unit 1 sources paper I was wrtiing the B question for 30minutes in the A section :eek3: Then I realised and B question was about 2 sides barely that. The A section was about 1 side and I know I mixed up the proveance of a source whislt in a rush.
The result 118/120 :eek:
Reply 25
HOWW COULDDDD THEYYY. I swear, using words in the english language that aren't frequently used within historical context (or lets face it, daily life!) is just too harshhhh.

Question A was reasonable. A question on one or comparing Hitler's henchman pops up quite often, however was it just me, or were the sources really hard to link! I only found contrasts, i think i found few similarities.

And Question B. Well; NEVER in my life have i had to write a question and not understood the two fundamental words. And i study english literature! I went down the same trap as everybody else and wrote the intentialist/structuralist argument, but i did mention a few times how he was dictatorial (even though i did think tyranny meant chaos, think i was thinking of anarchy there!) so im hoping ive got some marks at least.

I agree with the person up there, by far the worst B question, for the sources and the actual question itself! And yes electricfeel, edexcel should be punished haha!
THEpirate.
HOWW COULDDDD THEYYY. I swear, using words in the english language that aren't frequently used within historical context (or lets face it, daily life!) is just too harshhhh.

Question A was reasonable. A question on one or comparing Hitler's henchman pops up quite often, however was it just me, or were the sources really hard to link! I only found contrasts, i think i found few similarities.

And Question B. Well; NEVER in my life have i had to write a question and not understood the two fundamental words. And i study english literature! I went down the same trap as everybody else and wrote the intentialist/structuralist argument, but i did mention a few times how he was dictatorial (even though i did think tyranny meant chaos, think i was thinking of anarchy there!) so im hoping ive got some marks at least.

I agree with the person up there, by far the worst B question, for the sources and the actual question itself! And yes electricfeel, edexcel should be punished haha!

Agreed. And yeah I basically went down the structuralist/intentionalist route, but I know that they always complain if people aren't answering the actual question that was set. So that made me panic and probably waffle...

And yeah, I have emailed edexcel. Very snotty email rofl.
it was really unfair. if you hadn't heard the term despot before there was no way you were going to know what despotic meant. i know, now, that its a pretty common term etc but to be honest i have checked both text books and the term doesn't crop up once - they just use tyrannical/authoritarian/autocrat/dictator etc to describe Hitler and the regime.

Seeing as my other paper was British history it would hardly have been used to describe the likes of Disraeli and Peel lol...it was very unfair to use that, my entire essay is a complete muddle because i guessed at the meaning and tried to put about three different essays into one to cover all meanings and interpretations of the question.

Apart from that, part A was actually quite nice the sources were very helpful especially as the mentioned quite a few of Himmlers roles, kind of refreshed my memory a bit...and the actual sources (once i found out the definition of despotic and thus what the question was really asking!) were actually really straightforward. SO annoying that it had to be phrased like that!
Reply 28
Shining*Armour
I know people have sent e-mails of complaint to edexcel.
Anyone else going to do this?

We had a faceboook message go around about this, and my responce was:

"I think it would be more beneficial to find out if you can be given a definition of a word in an exam.

Complaining to the exam board about a difficult question is pointless (although the situation for a ambiguous one is different.)

Grade boundaries won't be lowered due to complaints, they will only be lowered if everyone did badly (afterall, if the problem was national and it isn't just us with limited vocabularies, the results will reflect this). They look at AS scores and say that 32% amount got a mid A, therefore roughly 32% amount should obtain a low A at A level etc, so the system of lowering boundaries is quite fair."
To be honest, it wasnt just the word "despotic" that was the issues but also the source it was in and generally the paper was very harsh overall. They were intentionally trying to confuse people by putting the "working towarss the Fuhrer" in source 3 and putting pre-"working towards the fuhrer" Kershaw sources in.

I'm quite sure Kershaw used the phrase after the biography from which that source was extracted; thus making difficult to use his source to back-up his argument
Reply 30
g_star_raw_1989
So glad History is my 4th subject :yep:
Oh well, Edexcel are so weird though, you never know what your gonna get.
On the unit 1 sources paper I was wrtiing the B question for 30minutes in the A section :eek3: Then I realised and B question was about 2 sides barely that. The A section was about 1 side and I know I mixed up the proveance of a source whislt in a rush.
The result 118/120 :eek:

Saaaame. I knew what despotic tyranny meant but I do think it was a bit unfair on people who didn't, and I found the answer really difficult to structure because of how the sources were.
Reply 31
The thing is people are talking about grade boundaries being lowered, but at the end of the day 480 will always be an A, and 420 will always be a B. So even if the grades boundaries are lower for history by a few marks that won't effect the whole UMS marks will it? Annndd I did try the 'cheeky route' in the exam and asked the invigulator what it meant. She looked at me in confusion then stated that she wasn't allowed to say either way. But she blatently did not know hahaa!

and LMAO electricfeel. I might have to follow your example! I saw on the edexcel website that theres a phone number for history too, to access a subject advisor. Hmmmmm.

And rebecca KCNC, ive heard that tooo! My head of sixth found it strange we didnt know what a despot was, but most adults ive spoken to since weren't sure, and only knew vaguely what it meant. The sources gave no indication either!

WHY OH WHYYY.
damn! i basically answered the extent to which he was a strong leader
-hitler's will
-role of propaganda
-dual state
-rise of his subordinates' personal empires
then concluded that he was permanently despotic, but the extent to which he was tyrannical was limited by the power his accolytes gathered, and the idea that propaganda created a disparity between life and reality

i thought they were trying to trick us! i don't know why i concluded like that
will i lose loads of marks by saying such a stupid thing?
arhrghr
jeroboam
damn! i basically answered the extent to which he was a strong leader
-hitler's will
-role of propaganda
-dual state
-rise of his subordinates' personal empires
then concluded that he was permanently despotic, but the extent to which he was tyrannical was limited by the power his accolytes gathered, and the idea that propaganda created a disparity between life and reality

i thought they were trying to trick us! i don't know why i concluded like that
will i lose loads of marks by saying such a stupid thing?
arhrghr

I included the image/reality thing. The image of a great national leader which he was in the early years but it weared away and in the reality his rule became a "despotic tyranny"
by putting in that random one about 'in the first four years blah blah' they were practically screaming 'talk about chronology!!!'...i would have thought though in a question about tyranny they would have included a bit more on oppression and violence...though i guess the question wasn't how did he rule, just was it tyrannical...

such a horrible part B though.
THEpirate.
The thing is people are talking about grade boundaries being lowered, but at the end of the day 480 will always be an A, and 420 will always be a B. So even if the grades boundaries are lower for history by a few marks that won't effect the whole UMS marks will it? Annndd I did try the 'cheeky route' in the exam and asked the invigulator what it meant. She looked at me in confusion then stated that she wasn't allowed to say either way. But she blatently did not know hahaa!

and LMAO electricfeel. I might have to follow your example! I saw on the edexcel website that theres a phone number for history too, to access a subject advisor. Hmmmmm.

And rebecca KCNC, ive heard that tooo! My head of sixth found it strange we didnt know what a despot was, but most adults ive spoken to since weren't sure, and only knew vaguely what it meant. The sources gave no indication either!

WHY OH WHYYY.

The grade boundaries thing is really how easy it will be to GET those UMS points, we think they will make it easier because the quesiton tripped so many people up.
Reply 36
I compared Hitler with Robert Mugabe (briefly). :woo:
Reply 37
sc8880
He wasn't talking about the early part of the regime though, he was talking about the situation from 1939-1945.

It's just so out of order as sources 4,5 and 6 (the sources you're supposed to focus you're part b around) didn't even have particularly tyrannical evidence in any. It was mainly about the admin side of things from what I can remember.

That's why I got so confused because I thougth despotic may have changed its meaning in some way...

And for all those who say 'Omg don't you know the meanign of despotic!??' I've never come across it in history class, never heard it used in history documentaries/films and never come across it in a text book. So it's perfectly normal our age group don't know the meaning of it, it's not normal that we should be expected to know it however.

I complained to edexcel yesterday in a rather heated way. It'll be interesting to see if they reply.

which email adress did you send it to and who did you address it to? I cant decide between complaints or the one just for history.
Melz0r
I compared Hitler with Robert Mugabe (briefly).

LOL
Stalin may have been a bette example.
Reply 39
Shining*Armour
The grade boundaries thing is really how easy it will be to GET those UMS points, we think they will make it easier because the quesiton tripped so many people up.

Ahhh thanks Shining Armour, that clears that up! I'm hoping so; but i suppose for that to happen alot of people would have to have got it wrong, and i know from my school most people did, but up and down the country? Who knowssss.

Latest

Trending

Trending