The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Yh I hope so too! It was easier than most, but was very easy to make careless errors on. It was a very similar paper to the Jan 08 Paper, and 28/45 was an A* then, and the government claims that the nation is getting "dumber", so hope boundary will be 30 or below, as there were some big questions, such as IVF, IVM, Mutation of snake, Rye grass, GE process, variables, etc..

I get a good feeling that the boundaries will be 30 or under :smile:
Reply 81
Purplesky, firstly it was 3 marks, and the last question said "Evaluate why you should use IVM rather than IVF", so you had to go with IVM I guess. And Salvius, if you justified another answer, it will be accepted, I am quite sure about this :smile:
would decrease in cholesterol levels and metabolic rate be okay for the diet question? the one about how exercising loses weight
instrumentalist
would decrease in cholesterol levels and metabolic rate be okay for the diet question? the one about how exercising loses weight

oh, i just said, 'the person must use up more energy (in exercise) that what they take in (in diet) and therefore lose weight as the body must take energy from glucose stored as fat (i.e. glycogen)'. Hope it gets me the three marks :s-smilie:
Reply 84
Diet question was 2 marks, and was very simple, I said "Exercising increases your metabolic rate, which increases the proportion of muscle to fat in the body"
Reply 85
You'd get 1 mark for that instrumentalist, as cholesterol is nothing to do with weight loss :frown: And jene-regrette-rien, I think you would not get any marks for that, as it asked how exercise reduces body fat :frown:
ah thought so, i just found the whole exam difficult :| i stupidly forgot about the number of deaths from influenza question, that's two marks down the drain, and there's just not enough time! it's just a frantic rush at the end
fingers crossed for low mark boundaries
Reply 87
je-ne-regrette-rien- I put the same thing as you. Metabolic rate didn't cross my mind. I just said that less fat would be stored as you are burning it off :/

purplesky- I agree, it MUST be something to do with the world wars. It's too much of a coincidence that they put those dates.
Reply 88
I hope so, and a lot of people put that so hopefully there's a couple of possible answers...
Reply 89
I carelessly put 60 for the graph question, where it was 60 x 7 = 420, do u think I can get 1 mark for showing 60 in my working? Secondly, for the IVF question, I carelessly did not read the question where it said "Describe in terms of hormones", so I mentioned the process of removing the eggs and fertilising them in a petri dish, but at the end I said "A fertility drug is also given as part of the treatment, to get as many ripe eggs as possible", I did not state any hormones, but is that enough for 1 mark? For one of the two reasons why people are against using the rye grass as a result of genetic engineering, I put:

1) It is unnatural to use, and could then lead on to "designer babies", do u reckon that could be accepted?

For the genetic engineering question which was 3 marks, I said that enzymes are used to cut the required gene out, and then it is fused with another cell, and then that cell will have the desired characteristics, how many should I get for this?

And for the Flu question, where it said why it killed more people in 1914 (3 marks), I said that it was a new virus, so it was not recognised by a person's immune system, and viruses live inside cells and are very damaging, how many marks should I roughly get for this?

I pretty much aced the rest of the test, so I am just curious to know roughly what I would get for the questions mentioned about. I know nobody is the examiner, but can I please get a rough estimation for each of the questions shown, and then I can make a predicted score.

Many Thanks! :smile:
nd jene-regrette-rien, I think you would not get any marks for that, as it asked how exercise reduces body fat

i think i'd get one or two...after all, exercising does make the body burn off fat?!?
Reply 91
I am not sure, but it was a 2 mark question though.
PianoPlayer
I think the answer was just that the influenza mutated, and so people's immune systems couldn't deal with it.
That's what I put anyway

Same that's what I put
:smile:
Reply 93
What did u guys get for the competition question on the page? I said they both competed for food, as they ate the same food.
Reply 94
And for the causes of methane, I said it is a greenhouse gas and it absorbs most of the energy radiated by the Earth, but some of this energy is re-radiated back to the Earth, causing global warming. I am sure this would be enough for the 3 marks :P
What did u guys get for the competition question on the page? I said they both competed for food, as they ate the same food.

it said apart from food
Reply 96
yeah, I put they compete for habitat/ space to live or nest. I put water but then crossed it out.
Reply 97
No it said there is little competition for food, did not say you could not use it :P I confirmed this with my teacher
Reply 98
I'm quite worried about how I did in this exam, because I think I've made some pretty silly mistakes like that maths question and the sugar rye grass question - especially since it was worth 3 marks!

There were plenty of people who didn't manage to get the exam finished in time though.

really? oh yeah i just put territory/nesting space too.

Latest