Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Normal sim in an iPhone

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to get a normal O2 sim (ie. from one of their "simplicity" deals) and put it into an iPhone? Can anyone who has done this confirm that it works?
    I've heard people say that it does but someone at O2 said it's best to use and official iPhone sim 'cause they're slightly different - but they didn't say how!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you can, but get the unlimited web bolt on as well. But you won't get visual voicemail. Make of that what you will, I find visual voicemail meh.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm on Simplicity and it's great (not with an iphone though).

About the web bolt its only worth it if you will use the internet every day on it (not through wifi) since in simplicity the max internet charge a day is 92p so if you use it two days a month then in those days you can use it as much as you want and the maximum charge is still 92p a day,

Only if you use it every day will it get expensive.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My dad got the iPhone for £99 on his £35/month contract.

He gave me the phone, put my pay as you go sim in. Works like a charm =]

I'm not bothered about the voicemail, never use it anyway. But with the normal contract iphone sim, you get unlimited web and wifi - on PAYG it's £10/month -.-
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andylol)
    My dad got the iPhone for £99 on his £35/month contract.

He gave me the phone, put my pay as you go sim in. Works like a charm =]

I'm not bothered about the voicemail, never use it anyway. But with the normal contract iphone sim, you get unlimited web and wifi - on PAYG it's £10/month -.-
    Awesome, thank you! With the simplicity contracts you can choose a bolton, so I could still get the unlimited web and wifi.

What's visual voicemails :confused: I've never heard of it!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tallulah G)
    Awesome, thank you! With the simplicity contracts you can choose a bolton, so I could still get the unlimited web and wifi.

What's visual voicemails :confused: I've never heard of it!
    No idea :tongue:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    iPhone visual voicemail demo

Basically shows you a list of your voicemails so you can choose which ones to listen to and in what order, rather than having to phone up and listen to them all in the order they were left.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snu)
    iPhone visual voicemail demo

Basically shows you a list of your voicemails so you can choose which ones to listen to and in what order, rather than having to phone up and listen to them all in the order they were left.
    Ah thank you!

I suppose that could be fairly useful.... but I think it's probably one of those features that sounds like a great idea but in reality I'd never use!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tallulah G)
    Is it possible to get a normal O2 sim (ie. from one of their "simplicity" deals) and put it into an iPhone? Can anyone who has done this confirm that it works?
    I've heard people say that it does but someone at O2 said it's best to use and official iPhone sim 'cause they're slightly different - but they didn't say how!
    I've spoken to O2 about this.

Short answer: Yes
    Long answer: Yes, but there's downsides and one of them is a biggie.

If you do the simplicity, you won't get Visual Voicemail, Tethering or call merging. I could live without them.

The biggie downside is that you won't get the phone subsidised. You must pay the PAYG price for the phone (£342.50 for 8GB 3G, £440.40 for 16GB 3GS, and £538.30 for 32GB 3GS), and then the contract on top of that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bucky!)
    I've spoken to O2 about this.

Short answer: Yes
    Long answer: Yes, but there's downsides and one of them is a biggie.

If you do the simplicity, you won't get Visual Voicemail, Tethering or call merging. I could live without them.

The biggie downside is that you won't get the phone subsidised. You must pay the PAYG price for the phone (£342.50 for 8GB 3G, £440.40 for 16GB 3GS, and £538.30 for 32GB 3GS), and then the contract on top of that.

But over the 18 months, it's almost exactly the same overall cost (as in, simplicity is £1.40 cheaper) based on a £35 iPhone contract, and a £20 simplicity contract. The big bonus for me would be that you're only tied in for 12 months.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 15, 2009
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.